The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Kind of funny that big pharma is the new villain in today's world. 😝

funny part may be it has taken so long to see big pharma getting villain role. 

is a bit transparent mercenary, but writers o' movies and tv know it is good to sell villains who scare their audiences as 'posed to picking villains who scared the parents and grandparents o' the audience.  

anticipate future villains is what good scifi does, but such is rare even in the genre. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I saw a trailer for a war movie and thought it looked very different from the usual Hollywood style drivel that glorifies war.  Made in the Soviet Union in 1985 with a cast and crew completely unknown in my part(s) of the world I think.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

Ordered the movie on DVD from Amazon.  Will share what I think once I've watched it in its entirety.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Critereon just released a new restoration of it. Supposed to be one of the best anti-war films ever made and an accurate depiction on German atrocities on the Eastern front.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Exterminating Angel (1962). Well...uh, that was strange and different. I liked Viridiana from this director a lot more, but that makes sense, since that was more of a straightforward film that had a strong lead with undertones of social commentary rather than a total troll that's 100% social commentary using an ensemble cast.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Vivarium.  Very Twilight Zone-ish, but there's a reason why most of that series was less than half an hour long.

Film has an interesting (if not particularly original) concept/ideas and it's on the surface creepy at times, but it's stretched too thin (and without much characterization, seemingly purposefully) and you'll get a little bored trying not to fast forward.  Also, there's no concrete answers given and most of what is given you've already guessed before it's halfway through. Ambiguous/largely unexplained is fine but this isn't satisfying.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Lighthouse (2019).

The-Lighthouse-2019-banner.jpg

I didn't realize it was the same director as The Witch until I saw this poster after I'd already seen it. Makes a lot more sense. Really good, although perhaps a bit too insane for my tastes.

@LadyCrimson For some reason, I remember that the lead actress of that movie's name is "Imogen Poots", which still makes me laugh because I'm twelve.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

^A friend of mine, doing genealogy, found out she was related to a family with the last name Poopenfart.

The Lighthouse is super weird. Good, but definitely not for everyone. I think I liked Tge Witch slightly more, but it was good.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

^A friend of mine, doing genealogy, found out she was related to a family with the last name Poopenfart.

had an uncharacteristic beavis and butthead moment. am admitting, to our shame, we immediate thought o' olivia wilde. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Amentep said:

The Lighthouse is super weird. Good, but definitely not for everyone. I think I liked Tge Witch slightly more, but it was good.

Yikes, :biggrin:.

I also liked The Witch a little more as well. Some of those long takes of Dafoe's brilliant ranting and ravings were just nuts, though. I haven't seen too many of Dafoe's films, but the few I've seen (this, The Florida Project, and...something else I'm forgetting the title of), he's just been awesome.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yikes, :biggrin:.

I also liked The Witch a little more as well. Some of those long takes of Dafoe's brilliant ranting and ravings were just nuts, though. I haven't seen too many of Dafoe's films, but the few I've seen (this, The Florida Project, and...something else I'm forgetting the title of), he's just been awesome.

If you seen Nosferatu either the original or the Wergner Herzod remake, I would recommend Shadow of the Vampire with Dafoe playing the titular role.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Rosemary's Baby (1968). I can see why it's considered a classic, lovely film. Just a touch of an underwhelming ending, but besides that, great, especially for 1968 - the way the few action sequences were shot so quickly and precisely while the dialogue between different characters flowed together so well and realistically was very unlike a 1968 movie, and in the latter case, better than many movies today.

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Rosemary's Baby (1968). I can see why it's considered a classic, lovely film. Just a touch of an underwhelming ending, but besides that, great, especially for 1968 - the way the few action sequences were shot so quickly and precisely while the dialogue between different characters flowed together so well and realistically was very unlike a 1968 movie, and in the latter case, better than many movies today.

I'm sure this is common knowledge by now but, Polanski is a monster that played mind games with the lead actress Mia Farrow. At some point he actually convinced her to walk through real traffic while he filmed, and yes it made into the movie.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

8 minutes ago, Orogun01 said:

I'm sure this is common knowledge by now but, Polanski is a monster that played mind games with the lead actress Mia Farrow. At some point he actually convinced her to walk through real traffic while he filmed, and yes it made into the movie.

I was just looking and noticed it was disappointingly made by him.

I thought that was a weird and somewhat out-of-place scene, too - should've happened later when she was really starting to be out of her mind, not when she was just in the beginning stages of suspecting them.

Edited by Bartimaeus

3 Women (1977). Is there such a thing as "discomfort horror"? That's what this film is. Extremely slow, very meandering, mildly to moderately discomforting almost the whole way through, but somehow pretty darned good. I adored Shelley Duvall from what I saw of her in that one Stanley Kubrick film whose name I should know and could easily look up and which is very famous but which I have now spent a minute thinking about and can't for the life of me remember - it's the Shining, I finally just remembered right as I was just about to say screw it - but anyways, the weird role/sympathies reversals with her and the Carrie girl were incredibly discomforting, though she was brilliant and charming in her way all the way through even so. Also, the ending? Big yikes to that in so many different ways. Good movie.

Edited by Bartimaeus

The Outpost (Prime rental)  -  the very tight frame cropping for this film made me wonder if it would've played better in a theater (or at least "widescreen") vs. 16:9 cropping. Maybe it was a director thing tho.  It's not that there were extreme face close-ups but you know how most framing has some emptiness to the sides that's not very important to a scene? This movie had little of that - it's a strange sensation is all.

Anyway, it's a war film and for most of its run time it bounces back and forth between a bit of sudden firefighting and the soldiers talking in soldier-y ways re: their post, lives, that are supposed to pass for characterization and bonding etc.  Then a big fight towards the end.  Some shaky cam in spots but not excessive. Looks good and actions are filmed well enough but doesn't really have arcs, plot in a normal sense, imo. Not awful, but not really worth the rent fee, save it for a freebie someday.  There is a brief bit before the halfway mark that was super funny tho.

Most interesting thing (to me) is watching Scott Eastwood. Occasionally he sounds so much like his father it's uncanny.  I've a loose eye on him for a bit - don't think he'll ever reach Clint's abilities/level but he may do fairly well over a long span if he's picky about his roles.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My dvd arrived from Amazon a few days ago and I got to see "Come and See" (Criterion Collection version)

A rather... disturbing movie and a very different take on war. There is nothing pretty, glorious or anything even remotely attractive about war.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 8/1/2020 at 7:29 AM, Gorth said:

My dvd arrived from Amazon a few days ago and I got to see "Come and See" (Criterion Collection version)

A rather... disturbing movie and a very different take on war. There is nothing pretty, glorious or anything even remotely attractive about war.

Have been meaning to watch that

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra