The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

On 4/28/2020 at 5:53 AM, ShadySands said:

I thought they were all pretty awful at this and am not sure the last movie is the worst offender

Everything after The Empire Strikes Back sucks 😠

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Leon the Professional was not the product of the right script and right director. The original was much more of a Lolita exploitation film, and the actors feeling uncomfortable worked with the executives to salvage the movie. It's a solid film, but more a product of chance than anything else.

9 hours ago, Amentep said:

Battle Beyond the Stars wasnt Star Wars but it was a fun riff on THE SEVEN SAMURAI, but in Space (with Robert Vaughan playing more or less the same character he played in that other THE SEVEN SAMURAI remake, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN...)

Or someone thought: "If that George Lucas can remake an Akira Kurosawa film and make a multimillion dollar franchise, then so can I "

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You basically had that flurry from '78-'83 of studios churning out cheap and quick sci-fi "star warsy" films.

Which is also why we ended up with the satire that is...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.

New Star Wars movie to be written and directed by Taika Waititi

Best news all week, honestly. Fingers crossed that KK's contract will be up by the time work begins so she can't **** with this one too.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

Best news all week, honestly. Fingers crossed that KK's contract will be up by the time work begins so she can't **** with this one too.

Unless it's a dark comedy from the point of view of C3P0 and R2-D2 ala Rosencraft and Guilderstern are dead; I"m not buying into it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

His filmwork so far's been pretty good and Ragnarok was hands down one of the best Marvel entries, but he wrote one of the weaker Mandalorian episodes - and that's a weak episode in a show with barely any highlights. I'm mildly interested at this point. :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

21 hours ago, 213374U said:

I dunno, I hope Kennedy stays there for a long, long, long time. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, to me the entertainment value of a SW film that isn't a massive dumpster fire far outweighs that of randos raging on social media, but whatever floats your boat.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

Well, to me the entertainment value of a SW film that isn't a massive dumpster fire

When was the last of those ? 😛

I am somewhat skeptical that all the blame Kennedy gets is actually warranted, as is every "failure" with a large group.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

21 minutes ago, Malcador said:

On 5/4/2020 at 2:52 PM, Gorth said:

Everything after The Empire Strikes Back sucks 😠

Therefore, ca. 1980. So... before I was even born.

As for Kennedy being to blame, I honestly don't know either. She's the head of the studio so she gets the blame by default. I'd also snipe at J.J. but he's not involved this time.

I think Jojo Rabbit is a pretty cool guy. Eh makes moveis and doesnt afraid of anything.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I am somewhat skeptical that all the blame Kennedy gets is actually warranted, as is every "failure" with a large group.

Rogue One is the 3rd best SW movie. Fact. 😝

17 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Rogue One is the 3rd best SW movie. Fact. 😝

Was going to disagree but...really you're closer to my stance when I think about it.  

• Like 1

Rogue One was good. Solo was a lot better than it's generally given credit for as well; it was just rather an unfortunate choice and rather unfortunate timing. They're pretty irrelevant though, Star Wars is 'judged' on how well the main sequence films are received and the sequel trilogy were... divisive. And in real world terms ended up underperforming expectations; so much so that they've gone from an annual release plan to no scheduled release even before covid19. OTOH, I do find reactions from disaffected fans hilarious, so I'm 50/50 on Kennedy, either way I win.

A Taika Waititi Star Wars film might be a disaster, but at least it would almost certainly be an entertaining disaster. And it certainly wouldn't fail due to lack of passion.

• Like 1

Best cross-Tasman Kiwi export ever

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Return of the Jedi gets blasted for unoriginality and being creatively bankrupt (i.e. a second Death Star, really?) while Rogue One gets praised as the best Star Wars movie since Empire.

Seems legit. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Originality is pretty far down the list of things any Star Wars offering has had. It's fundamentally a derivative series. Even the first movie was very heavily influenced by Kurosawa and Flash Gordon, at very least.

ROTJ had a lot of issues apart from originality- ewoks, bad pacing, poor plotting to name a few. Rogue One was derivative, and in terms of contribution to continuity almost completely pointless but it was a fun movie with few obvious plot flaws and good pacing. It also had a good villain with memorable lines and one scene that comes close to any other scene in the series in terms of being iconic. That's enough to place it pretty high in rankings overall, and very high in the post Lucas hierarchy.

Also has to be said, when they sort of tried to get away from the derivative you got The Last Jedi and Rian Johnson's expectation subversion; and a significant number of fans would have swapped that happily for 100 minutes of Wicket and Jar Jar getting into 'hilarious' hijinks instead.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Return of the Jedi gets blasted for unoriginality and being creatively bankrupt (i.e. a second Death Star, really?) while Rogue One gets praised as the best Star Wars movie since Empire.

Seems legit. :p

RotJ is 4th on my list, so that's not really the case for me. 

But as I said before, y'all take Star Wars too seriously. Watch them all through the eyes of a 10 year old kid, and you will have a good time. It's fun in space! Colorful sword fights! Cute robots and creatures! Daddy issues! :wowey:

29 minutes ago, Skazz said:

I agree. Let's talk about Star Trek instead.

EDIT:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnragedAnnualHound-size_restricted.gif

Given the general consensus of this forum on the new treks, this will probably end the same way. Personally I think both should have died a long time ago and are being kept alive by milking nostalgia and old fans hatewatching, but I'm some **** on the internet so what do I know.

I think Waititi should get around to directing that live action Akira he was attached to.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm looking forward to watching Star Trek Discovery when I get through rewatching TNG for the first time since it aired in first run syndication.

I've expressed my opinion of modern Trek vs Roddenberry's intention here before, but even though I think Trek has been irrevocably changed (in better and worse ways), I think there's still room to enjoy the series and movies.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, I recently started rewatching the old Trek films in lieu of new stuff. I've been surprised at how much I enjoyed The Shat's portrayal of older Kirk. He came a long way as an actor since TOS.

Complaints of bad writing in old Trek, while valid, do not detract from similar criticism being leveled at new stuff. Sadly, an often overlooked side effect of bad writing is acting chops going to waste and actors' careers suffering as a result.

Exhibit A:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 213374U said:

Well, I recently started rewatching the old Trek films in lieu of new stuff.

We've been slowly doing the same. It's all so much better than I remember it being but then after watching the new stuff so is Enterprise.

• Sad 1

Free games updated 3/4/21