The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

40 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

My wife said it is a very accurate reflection of the dance world.

The actual ballerina stuff was fine. It's just that...I do not find Natalie Portman a believable or compelling actress in the slightest, and consequently almost always find her characters unlikable in whatever she appears in (a small-but-not-totally exception for her character in V for Vendetta, I guess...and she was good in Leon as well), and it kind of snowballed from there on pretty much every front because of it. Laugh-out-loud CGI stuff that's supposed to be fueled by her inner struggles which I just did not care at all about, everyone in the movie is insane (and/or a scumbag) which fuels the ludicrousness even more, unreliable narrator (which would be fine with a character you like - not so much one you already dislike to begin with, just annoys me with her even more). I've seen Perfect Blue, the movie Black Swan is heavily based off of, and while Perfect Blue had its own set of problems, I found it a waaaaaaaaaaay more enjoyable experience. I really just need to give up and accept the fact that I'm not going to like anything Natalie Portman appears in, I guess - she's pretty consistently been a movie-ruiner for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

22 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Black Swan (2010).

it sucked lmao

MY LITTLE PRINCESS MY SWEET LITTLE GIRL MY LITTLE PRINCESS MY SWEET LITTLE GIRL MY LITTLE PRINCESS MY SWEET LITTLE GIRL MY

That film did my head in. It feels like a David Lynch film only more histrionic, fuller with heavyhanded cod-psychology, and devoid of aesthetic creativity.

That said I didn't think Portman herself was bad in the film, I think she delivered the role pretty well in spite of her character, the premise et al being utter pants. Vincent Cassel was like nails on a chalkboard though, a proper Julian Sands level display of AHHRARCTING.

Portman's best performance I reckon is Jackie, most likely.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - I loved it. I'm a fan of most Tarantino films, and I was a bit bummed I missed this on the big screen, as I think he is one of the few directors worth watching that way. I remember I was a bit put off by the loose with history approach he took to Inglorious Basterds, but it didn't bother me here. Probably because I was ready for it. Anyways, I'm going to spend this quarantine working on my Brad Pitt physique. 

Evolution - My daughter and I were perusing end of the world type movies on Netflix, and this popped up. I remember seeing it in theaters in college. It has held up pretty well! 

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Evolution - My daughter and I were perusing end of the world type movies on Netflix, and this popped up. I remember seeing it in theaters in college. It has held up pretty well! 

I still thought it was funny but felt that a lot of the more crude humor was often times a little outdated and wouldn't be found in a lighthearted PG-13 comedy today. But maybe I'm overthinking it and as I said, it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the film.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

^  I loved Portman as the kid in Leon/The Professional but haven't found her to be all that compelling in her adult roles that much. Don't dislike her tho, she's decent enough most of the time, just not as good (or it's her chosen roles) as I thought she was going to end up being.

"1917" (rented)  -  interesting WW1 film. Largely two characters with brief famous cameos here and there.  The one-shot gimmick works well for most of the movie (it's more like two-shots) because of the trenches and such. Some surreal cinematic moments. Not what I'd call a masterpiece but a pretty good watch.

"The Platform" (Netflix, subtitled) - what a trippy horror/social/human nature commentary film. It's very violent/gory in spots, make no mistake, for anyone sensitive to such, but it feels more like a stage play at times.  Themes of greed and gluttony vs enough for all, rich vs. poor symbolism in a horrific situational setting.  Very strange yet compelling.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 hours ago, injurai said:

I'm a big Aronofsky fan

Out of curiosity, did you like The Fountain?

I have always loved that movie. Still, I have also recently discovered that, apparently, people and critics alike didn't really think much of it. 😪

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 3

Just now, injurai said:

Pi is a fantastic film, I will fight you.

I need to watch it again, but I wasn't big on it back in the day. It had this film school sophomoric feel I wasn't really won over by, whilst most of its aesthetic tricks seemed lifted straight out of Persona. Mind that it's been at least 15 years or so since I saw it, and I did see it all of one time at that.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Found a better trailer for Adams Apples with English subtitles (the previous one I posted a few pages back wasn't an official one)

Flammen og Citronen (The Flame and the Lemon) about WWII

A movie based on real events. After WWII thousands of young German POW's where ordered to clear the minefields on the Danish west coast.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guns Akimbo.

A quirky film.  Daniel Radcliffe as a general nobody who annoys the people running an underground streaming fight/gladitorial/death game by trolling their forums, and gets a rude awakening when they break into his apartment, bolt guns to his hands and make him the next person in a match.

It's that weird blend of action both realistic and cinematic, with a dose of black comedy throughout.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Daniel Radcliffe has had an ... interesting ... career since Potter ... and I admire him for it.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We tried to watch Uncut Gems. Does Adam Sandler act up a storm? Sure, I guess. He reminded me a lot of John Tuturro in a way, particularity the Quiz Show role.  But the movie itself ... neither hubby or I liked it - camera/editing work, was there a plot outside a chr. study of a really unlikeable chr? and we turned it off after 35 minutes or so.  Just not our type of movie is all.

So we then watched something on Netflix called "Freaks."   Low budget sci-fi/thriller. 
Shades of lots of other movies but plotwise it made me think

of a combo of Firestarter and maybe a film about the very first xmen mutants to emerge, perhaps.

It was decent, although the kid character was a little too psycho to be sympathetic initially. Might have been on purpose however. Lots of recognizable faces in it.

edit: spoiler tagged my view of the plot - even that basic description of it might be a little spoilery.

Edited by LadyCrimson

On 3/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, LadyCrimson said:

Daniel Radcliffe has had an ... interesting ... career since Potter ... and I admire him for it.

I have to imagine it's all about putting the HP role as far behind as he can. I'm sure he loves the franchise as much as everyone else, but it it's an insanely strong typecast over him, and it made him and alcoholic. Gotta establish yourself apart from that.

Emma Watson has also been fairly successful after HP, but she's honestly a bit stiff. It worked great in Bling Ring and Little Woman though.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 4:54 PM, injurai said:

I have to imagine it's all about putting the HP role as far behind as he can. I'm sure he loves the franchise as much as everyone else, but it it's an insanely strong typecast over him, and it made him and alcoholic. Gotta establish yourself apart from that.

Emma Watson has also been fairly successful after HP, but she's honestly a bit stiff. It worked great in Bling Ring and Little Woman though.

th?id=OIP.KyO3Vu9T03H7Ecv55h7KzAHaK9%26p
Have we addressed this image yet?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

America's Favorite Movie

According to them it's Shawshank Redemption followed by The Godfather. Both great movies IMO. But neither in my top 3. My top three are:

The Outlaw Josey Wales:

Jeramiah Johnson

No Country For Old Men

If you haven't seen any of these take care of that right away!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No Country For Old Men was good. It came out at the same time as There Will Be Blood and even filmed in the same vicinity. I find myself preferring the later, though you probably need more patience for the pacing of the later. What tied No Country For Old Men together for me was Tommy Lee Jones' character, without that I think the film would have struggled to find closure. It sort of became a different film in the later third. Haven't read the book, but it was strange to switch the lead character that late into the story. Somehow it worked and was what was needed.

Edited by injurai

On 3/26/2020 at 5:08 PM, LadyCrimson said:

"1917" (rented)  -  interesting WW1 film. Largely two characters with brief famous cameos here and there.  The one-shot gimmick works well for most of the movie (it's more like two-shots) because of the trenches and such. Some surreal cinematic moments. Not what I'd call a masterpiece but a pretty good watch.

"The Platform" (Netflix, subtitled) - what a trippy horror/social/human nature commentary film. It's very violent/gory in spots, make no mistake, for anyone sensitive to such, but it feels more like a stage play at times.  Themes of greed and gluttony vs enough for all, rich vs. poor symbolism in a horrific situational setting.  Very strange yet compelling.

Both good movies. I reccomend.

sign.jpg