The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

16 minutes ago, algroth said:

There's no doubt a degree of sexism involved in the performance of films and cutural artifacts that seem aimed more squarely at young female audiences than young male ones - I do think the former sees much more vitriolic criticism than the latter even before the films are released, and people seem way more open to entertaining a film like Shazam as a good one than, say, Twilight, High School Musical or Pitch Perfect. That said, I don't think "featuring female characters" = "aimed at young female audiences" (case in point: Tomb Raider), and I don't think Birds of Prey seems a particularly "female-oriented" film to begin with. I'd figure just as many if not more people went to see it because Margot Robbie is smokin' as Harley, than because of any representation value, and it likely flopped *not* because it's a more "female-leaning film" but because Suicide Squad is absolute dog**** and the rest of the DCEU with it (sans Wonder Woman and Shazam).

Its probably also fair to point out that the best performing superhero films have been the ones which feel authentic to the characters - even when there are changes.  WB's DC film slate has taken a lot of brickbats for its lack of fidelity in particular with the Zack Snyder verse.

That's important as Birds of Prey had never had any real connection with Harley (in the comics) until the film was announced, that the Birds of Prey as a team was missing a key founder in Batgirl/Oracle, and that Cassandra Cain in the film is so different from the comics character that it was really just a new character using an old name.  That it followed-up the divisive (but highly profitable and Oscar winning) Suicide Squad probably didn't help, particularly since I think - for those who didn't like Suicide Squad - the marketing for BoPatFEoOHQ was highly reminiscent of the Suicide Squad marketing (well more like if the Suicide Squad marketing had a baby with the Deadpool marketing). 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 2/11/2020 at 3:38 PM, ShadySands said:

No, I've never heard of the director but it sounds like he did an amazing job. I just have no interest at all.

haven't seen the movie. am dreading seeing the movie. is a south korean movie. one o' our bedrock foundations in life has been the absolute knowledge contemporary south korean media, in all forms, is horrible. music. tv. movies. bad. bad. bad. has been no exceptions. evar. not even close exceptions. is ok south korean actors, but is as close to an exception as we have been exposed.

am anticipating we will eventual see the movie and based on recommendations from more than a couple people who have similar tastes as Gromnir, am expecting we will also appreciate. what a terrible moment it will be.

see parasite and agree it is good means the universe makes less sense. as such am not seeing parasite for as long as possible for no other reason than to protect the integrity o' the universe. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 minute ago, Gromnir said:

haven't seen the movie. am dreading seeing the movie. is a south korean movie. one o' our bedrock foundations in life has been the absolute knowledge contemporary south korean media, in all forms, is horrible. music. tv. movies. bad. bad. bad. has been no exceptions. evar. not even close exceptions. is ok south korean actors, but is as close to an exception as we have been exposed.

am anticipating we will eventual see the movie and based on recommendations from more than a couple people who have similar tastes as Gromnir, am expecting we will also appreciate. what a terrible moment it will be.

see parasite and agree it is good means the universe makes less sense. as such am not seeing parasite for as long as possible for no other reason than to protect the integrity o' the universe. 

HA! Good Fun!

I'm surprised by your distaste for South Korean films in particular, as it's been an especially thriving scene throughout the past twenty years. If you don't mind me asking, which ones have you seen?

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

keep in mind we do not like horror, so while am recognizing some south korean horror is well crafted in the kinda b-movie vein o' even the best movie horror... meh. we did see train to busan and if we didn't loathe zombie movies we mighta hated it less than... whatever. again, am admitted the wrong guy to judge horror. 

have seen stuff such as oldboy, which is kinda like tarantino at his worst but w/o humor. is nothing wrong with well choreographed gratuitous violence, but folks who were reading depth into oldboy were kidding themselves. lost 10 iq points watching snowpiercer. watched first half hour of the great battle before fatigue set in. popped the great battle disc out and replaced with ran. instant relief. swing kids? were fun ideas but were an utter mess.

etc.

no doubt you thinks the movies in question deserve more than a terse one-liner. we do not. is an additional condemnation we provided reflections on the good ones. every time we give sk movies a chance, we get smote. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I watched the Dolemite movie you guys recommended. It was ok, but I was surprised that the whole premise of the movie was that the guy stole his act from the less fortunate and the movie just gloss over this and never addresses it.

166215__front.jpg

15 hours ago, Skarpen said:

I watched the Dolemite movie you guys recommended. It was ok, but I was surprised that the whole premise of the movie was that the guy stole his act from the less fortunate and the movie just gloss over this and never addresses it.

It's a biographic film meant to entertain, not a documentary, did you expect it to render a verdict on the life and wiles of Rudy Ray Moore? If so you might have approached viewing it from the wrong angle.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, majestic said:

It's a biographic film meant to entertain, not a documentary, did you expect it to render a verdict on the life and wiles of Rudy Ray Moore? If so you might have approached viewing it from the wrong angle.

No, I just expect the movie to address the things it shows. 

166215__front.jpg

Given that it was never made an issue of in his lifetime, I'm not sure what they could have done to address it.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was watching a few Danish movies the last week or two. I managed to dig out some English subtitled trailers for some of them:

This one is even dubbed in English:

A prequel to a movie. Sadly, the first one is much, much better, but I couldn't find English subtitled versions of the trail ("In China they eat dogs")

Warning, Danes like their humour dark, like pitch black dark. Danish Noir is a real thing.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hobbes and Shaw. It was as gloriously ridiculous as the trailers implied it's be.

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Hobbes and Shaw. It was as gloriously ridiculous as the trailers implied it's be.

am having a hard time squaring why it is we cannot bring our self to sit through something like hobbs and shaw, but we kinda enjoyed deadpool

HA! Good Fun!

Maybe because the character of Deadpool lampshades the ludicrous elements by breaking the 4th wall?

36 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Maybe because the character of Deadpool lampshades the ludicrous elements by breaking the 4th wall?

some o' that is valid.

with weinstein in the news, am recalling the first time we saw kill bill in theatre. 

saw in a relative full theatre and Gromnir and friend were literal the only two people laughing. ludicrous doesn't bother us. heck, we mentioned how much we like the admitted terrible last dragon

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Rented Terminator Dark Fate or whatever it's called.

I liked it. Sure it's derivative of the first two films (in some action cases almost beat for beat for long moments) and doesn't do anything creative/new, but at least it was entertaining enough.   Since they could never figure out what to do with the films after the 2nd one, as a coda/topper to a film series - by pretending everything after T2 didn't exist - it works for me. I just hope they end it there, since this one apparently didn't make much money etc. Let it end.

I still wish they had figured out how to show, say, the future and John Connor's rise. Salvation tried and for that alone I give it a bit of credit, but the result was a mess.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts