The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

Decided to watch Suicide Squad with my daughter, since we will probably catch Birds of Prey in the next week or so. I enjoyed it in the theater when it came out, but I so rarely go to see movies that it is always a bit of fun just to have the big screen experience. I still really enjoyed Margot Robbie and that is what makes it a watchable film. But it was not fun watching more Jared Leto and the silliness of the plot didn't hold up well with a second viewing. 

Also it was a TBS version, meaning it was edited. I think that might have helped by shortening it up a bit.

I watched the extended directors cut of SUICIDE SQUAD again.  I still enjoyed it even though its a mess of a story. I think all the characters are well done even they dont all pay off.

Saw BIRDS OF PREY. Enjoyed it, though I think there's a section in the middle where it drags a bit.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I watched Hostel 1 & 2 last night. Jeez that is some demented s--t.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 2/8/2020 at 6:54 AM, Hurlshot said:

Decided to watch Suicide Squad with my daughter, since we will probably catch Birds of Prey in the next week or so. I enjoyed it in the theater when it came out, but I so rarely go to see movies that it is always a bit of fun just to have the big screen experience. I still really enjoyed Margot Robbie and that is what makes it a watchable film. But it was not fun watching more Jared Leto and the silliness of the plot didn't hold up well with a second viewing. 

Also it was a TBS version, meaning it was edited. I think that might have helped by shortening it up a bit.

Suicide Squad was torture material for me. I don't really agree with the consensus view that Margot Robbie somehow made it watchable. Her character wasn't well done, and suffers from being clearly written to please fans. Arya in Game of Thrones suffered from the same fate after a while. The only good thing that came out of the film was all the Harley Quinn halloween costumes.

Apparently Birds of Prey will be a bit better though.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:46 PM, algroth said:

Watched Parasite at the movies with a group of five, we all absolutely loved it. As usual with Joon-ho Bong, it's an expertly crafted, fascinating and unpredictable blend of genres that results in a film with appeal both to arthouse enthusiasts and mainstream viewers alike, with a clear sociopolitical backbone throughout. It's his High and Low, an utter masterpiece. Much like @Hurlshot, it's my turn to stan this movie and tell everyone to go see it right away!

YES.

YES.

YES.

Oscars are based tonight. Possibly the best Best Picture win ever. GO WATCH IT, EVERYONE.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The sad part is that we can only wonder if the movie won on it's own merits or if that was due the accusations of oscars being "too white".

Also is it the first time for a movie to be nominated in both best picture and international and won both?

Edited by Skarpen

166215__front.jpg

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I knew I've heard of Parasite before but couldn't place where

I mean I still have no desire to watch it but congrats to the film and everyone behind it. They really cleaned up tonight

Out of curiosity, why do you have no desire to see it? Not a fan of the director?

6 hours ago, Skarpen said:

The sad part is that we can only wonder if the movie won on it's own merits or if that was due the accusations of oscars being "too white".

Also is it the first time for a movie to be nominated in both best picture and international and won both?

Uh, no? It's simply the best film of the year, regardless of what ethnicity the director is. No one who's seen or is even mildly aware of the film would even begin to think that, though some bigots who read bad faith into every win by a non-white might. And it's not the first time a film was nominated for both Foreign Language and Best Picture - just last year we had Roma for example (which should've won, btw) - but it is the first time a film in a non-English language wins BP.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

The only two movies I've had a chance to watch in like the past two months have been When the Wind Blows and the Bee Movie. It hasn't been a great two months. Might as well make Parasite the next, especially seeing as I know absolutely nothing about it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

48 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Seems like it has both good critic and audience scores (80s for both), so that might actually be kind of a shame (although not necessarily or probably even likely related to sexism).

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The "sexism" excuse is just weaksauce. It cant be that a movie just stinks? Or never resonates with an audience? Charlies Angels and Ghostbusters remakes used the same reasoning. Maybe Captain Marvel too?

Pretty sure Captain Marvel was considered a success.  Ghostbusters had a lot of pre-press hate on it simply because it wasn't the real Ghostbusters.  That it's budget had over-run spectacularly set it up for failure regardless of the quality/lack-of-same of the film.  Can't say much about Charlie's Angels one way or the other as I haven't seen it and I'm not sure people were terribly high on it from a tracking standpoint.

I think some of the navel gazing over BoPatFEoOHQ is a bit silly, and its also somewhat disappointing the film hasn't done better as its not a bad film, although also not a perfect film either.  Most likely the blame can be laid squarely on making it an R-rated film when it doesn't really need to be and lack of clarity in the marketing/advertising (which wasn't helped by the name).  Its possible bad weather in areas contributed some as well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

15 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Can't say much about Charlie's Angels one way or the other as I haven't seen it and I'm not sure people were terribly high on it from a tracking standpoint.

Just in case you hadnt seen it: Elizabeth Banks blames sexism for ‘Charlie’s Angels’ crashing.

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I don't doubt people will continue to do so.  Doesn't make it right (or wrong).  Again haven't seen CA, I can't really speak to the quality of the film.  I would have seen it, but...

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Box offices in general are in decline, I thought. I mean, there are just so many options out there to see good entertainment. 

I used to be a fairly regular movie goer. Lack of show-times I want to see and lack of willingness of theater owners to police the audience and throw out people who think they're in their living rooms has contributed to me seeing less and less films.  CA had no show times that I was willing to risk an unpleasant experience of some goofball(s) talking at the screen, talking to each other, talking on their phone, talking to their kids, letting their kids run around the theater like it was field day at school, etc.  In a way these issues are tied together.

34 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

I don't get the sexism argument. Women didn't go either and I think there are more women than men in US, no? So if most women would go the movies would be a success.

Nominally I think it is true that there are more women than men in the US, but I think its in the upper age brackets.  I think the younger age brackets are more even or slightly more male.

• Like 1

There's no doubt a degree of sexism involved in the performance of films and cutural artifacts that seem aimed more squarely at young female audiences than young male ones - I do think the former sees much more vitriolic criticism than the latter even before the films are released, and people seem way more open to entertaining a film like Shazam as a good one than, say, Twilight, High School Musical or Pitch Perfect. That said, I don't think "featuring female characters" = "aimed at young female audiences" (case in point: Tomb Raider), and I don't think Birds of Prey seems a particularly "female-oriented" film to begin with. I'd figure just as many if not more people went to see it because Margot Robbie is smokin' as Harley, than because of any representation value, and it likely flopped *not* because it's a more "female-leaning film" but because Suicide Squad is absolute dog**** and the rest of the DCEU with it (sans Wonder Woman and Shazam).

Edited by algroth