The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

Ah, time to read NPR whining about lack of minorities nominated or something. Like clockwork

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 hours ago, Malcador said:

Ah, time to read NPR whining about lack of minorities nominated or something. Like clockwork

To be fair, there are some serious snubs on POC this year. Eddie Murphy, J. Lo, Awkwafina and Lupita all turned in powerhouse performances. 

But then snubs all around. Willem Dafoe was undisputably better in The Lighthouse than every single actor nominated including Phoenix. 

12 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

To be fair, there are some serious snubs on POC this year. Eddie Murphy, J. Lo, Awkwafina and Lupita all turned in powerhouse performances. 

But then snubs all around. Willem Dafoe was undisputably better in The Lighthouse than every single actor nominated including Phoenix. 

I do feel that The Farewell not making a single category was a pretty major snub, but I will say that I wasn't too surprised by the exclusion of the other names you mention here. Even Uncut Gems which has been generating a fair bit of buzz this last month was struggling to make the list in most awards predictions and ended wholly excluded from the nominations. Don't know if I'd call the others snubs considering the nominees went mostly as expected.

I will say that I'm generally pretty okay with the nominees this year. All of the films up for Best Picture I've either liked or am at the least curious to watch, with even the most "Oscar bait" of the lot having a somewhat more interesting or appealing angle than, say, Green Book. I do think it's a much stronger crop all around than last year, where it felt like we had regressed back to the "tradition of quality" landfill of the 90s and early 00s. Would I have wanted to see more attention for Uncut Gems or The Lighthouse? Absolutely. But given how the list turned out, I think it's fine.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

On 1/13/2020 at 12:46 PM, algroth said:

The early 00s are back, all we need is a nu-metal soundtrack.

you have inspired us to watch blade:trinity this eve.

jessica-biel-trinity_mrxt1z.gif

well, that were enuff.

however, seeing the trailer for morbius, other than wondering if we can get a j. jonah jameson quip 'bout the morbius name, can't help but make us wonder if ethics is an optional elective at the various Universities of Super Science in comic book worlds. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just finished watching Knives Out. Very much enjoyed it. I figured out the villain in the first few scenes, which is usually a bad sign for a whodunit, but the actual how and when continued to surprise and delight that I'm sure it was intentional. Like an episode of Columbo. Rian Johnson works better in a genre built on subversion. 

Code 8, rental. I read it started as a short, kickstarted to 2 million movie.

It's a kind of weird combo of district9 pathos, xmen mutant concept, couple other things. The "superpower" aspect is pretty low key, no mega superhero stuff. It's fairly derivative and takes itself a bit too seriously (a bit of wry humor here and there would've helped) but first half was decent. Second half kind of fell apart/felt rushed/holes. So first half, a B. Second half, C.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Whoops, wrong thread.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Watched Parasite at the movies with a group of five, we all absolutely loved it. As usual with Joon-ho Bong, it's an expertly crafted, fascinating and unpredictable blend of genres that results in a film with appeal both to arthouse enthusiasts and mainstream viewers alike, with a clear sociopolitical backbone throughout. It's his High and Low, an utter masterpiece. Much like @Hurlshot, it's my turn to stan this movie and tell everyone to go see it right away!

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

As we're moving onwards on the news and teasers of Dune, just to highlight who's playing who..

EJjgPCnX0AAhQDL?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Godzilla 2 via HBO - ... nope, not even for the dumb action.

Pikachu movie also via HBO - ... well the yellow guy was cute but, nope.

Parasite is available for rent off of Amazon-Prime now. Since it's subtitled I don't have to wait for hubby either.  Midnight rental here I come.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts