The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

you clearly have no appreciation for #girlbosses

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 12/26/2019 at 11:56 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Brad Pitt just gets more and more awesome as he ages (that and the roles he chooses)...

He got awesome when he dumped that toxic feminist-SJW Angelina Jolie that had sucked all the awesomeness out of him.

Edited by ktchong

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

you clearly have no appreciation for #girlbosses

Or so guerilla marketing teams would have one believe. Though Aladdin is probably more a result of rewriting a story being a doomed effort, rather than some corporate sexism masquerading as veneer of progress #ghostbusters. Still Jasmine's number was awful all around, tonally a departure from the score, and thematically could have been actually empowering without immediately denying her her moment by turning her into a damsel in distress.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, injurai said:

Or so guerilla marketing teams would have one believe. Though Aladdin is probably more a result of rewriting a story being a doomed effort, rather than some corporate sexism masquerading as veneer of progress #ghostbusters. Still Jasmine's number was awful all around, tonally a departure from the score, and thematically could have been actually empowering without immediately denying her her moment by turning her into a damsel in distress.

I think Bart was referring to Lindsay Ellis' video on Woke Disney. 😁

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Rented John Wick 3.

That early knife fight scene had me rolling. The rest of the film could have sucked and I wouldn't have minded because of that scene. Luckily, the rest of the film didn't suck. The first film is probably still the best one but at least this 3rd entry had great fight sequences and some moments of hilarity (not much plot or sense but...). And Fishburne's little speech at one point? Top cheese, man, top cheese. (edit - can't wait for the 4th to see Fishburne and Reeves take down "the Table" - give me more cheese!)

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 12/24/2019 at 6:19 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Okay, I am a big fat liar hypocrite. My buddy was rewatching all the Star Wars in preparation of this pile of crap coming out, and I somehow managed to convince him that watching the Holiday Special was integral for bridging the gap between A New Hope and Empire. Unfortunately, he made it a requirement that I had to sit through it with him.

Suffice to say, Star Wars has always been a total sham. What an uncomfortable viewing experience.

Yes, that is Boba Fett riding a dinosaur. Yes, he really did debut in the Holiday Special.

Oh, by the way, in case someone doesn't know, RLM has not only one, but two episodes of Best of the Worst dedicated to the Star Wars Holiday Special:

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Knives Out (2019) - A fun murder mystery, but I guessed the killer and how they did it.  Hear a sequels in the works, so I'm looking forward to it.

Rise of Skywalker (2019) - I enjoyed it.  Not quite the whiz-bang it should have been, but Star Wars hasn't been the same since they changed the first one to be subtitled "A New Hope".  I could quibble, but why bother?

Hit! (1973) - Part Mission: Impossible tv series / Dirty Dozen, half The French Connection and half blacksploitation film, Billy Dee Williams' CIA agent Nate Allen gets leverage on several individuals who have skills he'll need to wipe out the Marseilles based drug lords responsible for the heroin that killed his estranged daughter.   Williams is good - as are Richard Pryor and Gwen Welles.

McQ (1974) - John Wayne's response to the Dirty Harry films.  Less focused than those films, it still gives you Wayne machine gunning corrupt cops and drug lords on a beach.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I watched that Doom: Annihilation movie via Netflix. At least, if you count watching the little preview images flash by as you FFWD, watching. 😛 Actually, the first 10 minutes gives you a tiny hope it'll be watchable despite the TV look and budget, but it falls apart rapidly. That said, in terms of being "Doom," there's a few minor things about it that could be said to much better than that other Doom movie with Mr. Rock.

Also, I discovered that linguist guy Erik Singer who does occasional videos for Wired, where he analyzes/comments on actors accent attempts. Watched all in one afternoon. He's low-key and great at speaking/explaining. Occasionally funny, sometimes  informative, always interesting.  In case you're like me and never know about these things until years later, he's the "Movie Accent Expert" in this playlist: 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLibNZv5Zd0dzmgAyav3R8SfXc-64Oly_k

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How long before that AI is labeled  racist? Conversely, maybe  1% chance it'll be labeled 'too woke'.  AI should not be trusted  when it comes to these type of decisions. Ridiculous.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

57 minutes ago, algroth said:

Piss off, WB.

Hey, it might work as well as it does now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Travolta movie The Fanatic is on Amazon Prime. Heard it's maybe funny-bad, which always piques my curiosity.

I'm around 15 minutes past the start credits and I'm already like "wtf." The dialogue lines, what. is this. Travolta is in full blown overact mode. He's no rainman. Well...at least the stream looks great on the 4k TV.  Good if you're sleepy and need to take a nap. :P

3 minutes ago, TrueNeutral said:

Netflix already uses such an AI iirc. 

That might explain a lot.

Rented Ad Astra. It's not an action movie, just saying. One of those films that has a slow deliberate pace most of the time. Psychological chr. study mostly, maybe. Some long sequences that felt more like an excuse to pad runtime then anything else, although you could make up reasons for them to exist. Still, it didn't make me fall asleep - to the contrary I remained quite interested throughout.

Also watched the S. Korean films Along with the Gods and the sequel The Last 49 Days. Fantasy action re: 7 trials to reincarnation. Action stuff is fun/great, the rest felt like a high budget TV show but is pretty entertaining. Cast for both films was very fun.