The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

3 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Clearly a live-action Wreck it Ralph.

My kids loved Pixels. They would watch it over and over again. Eventually I warmed up to it. :p

Why do you abuse your children like that ? 😛

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

Why do you abuse your children like that ? 😛

The first few moments when I watched the Pixel's trailer I was hooked. Such a ridiculous concept, somewhat similar to Galaxy Quest just with video games. Imagine my disappointment when it became clear that it'll be an Adam Sandler film. Bah.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

The first few moments when I watched the Pixel's trailer I was hooked. Such a ridiculous concept, somewhat similar to Galaxy Quest just with video games. Imagine my disappointment when it became clear that it'll be an Adam Sandler film. Bah.

Eh, every time I write Sandler off, he pulls off some fantastically entertaining movie. Don't get me wrong, he's got a lot of hot garbage, but Murder Mystery was great. Honestly though he gets a free pass for life because he made Happy Gilmore.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Eh, every time I write Sandler off, he pulls off some fantastically entertaining movie. Don't get me wrong, he's got a lot of hot garbage, but Murder Mystery was great. Honestly though he gets a free pass for life because he made Happy Gilmore.

hmm.

we enjoyed wedding singers as mindless fun, but is punch-drunk love which has made us disappointed in everything sandler 'cause we were shocked to discover he is able to do better than the infantile schlock he habitual delivers, but chooses not to do so. perhaps ironic is punch-drunk love which ruins sandler for us, 'cause from that point forward we knew he were were more than a collection o' ghastly one-liners and every man-embarrassed moments. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Rented It part2.

I'm beginning to think the 2nd half of that book is just impossible to film. To be fair, it was (imo) the weaker aspect of the novel - the kid stuff was always more interesting. But this film version had the same issue the old mini-series version had, namely some pretty over the top acting. I read reviews saying the Chinese dinner scenes were awesome but I thought it was terrible, maybe even worse than the mini-series. Also, film is too long.

That said, there were decent moments and the ending monster/scene was much better than the old mini-series. Well, maybe except for the deflated clown aspect.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 12/13/2019 at 8:11 PM, Gromnir said:

hmm.

we enjoyed wedding singers as mindless fun, but is punch-drunk love which has made us disappointed in everything sandler 'cause we were shocked to discover he is able to do better than the infantile schlock he habitual delivers, but chooses not to do so. perhaps ironic is punch-drunk love which ruins sandler for us, 'cause from that point forward we knew he were were more than a collection o' ghastly one-liners and every man-embarrassed moments. 

HA! Good Fun!

If you haven't seen it and are into Woody Allenesque "dramedies", I can recommend The Meyerowitz Stories. Also people have been raving about his newest film, Uncut Gems, which seems like a pretty major departure to the stuff he's been doing his whole career (and is also setting him up as an Oscar contender apparently).

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

On 12/13/2019 at 1:39 PM, Raithe said:

Palpatine is a totally nonsensical but fun character, probably the funnest of the entire series. Literally the only reason I have even the slightest desire to watch the Rise of Skywalker is to see him reprise the role and ham it up (note: I still haven't watch the second one). Even though it'll probably be outrageously, insultingly stupid from a writing standpoint (it's JJ Abrams bringing back Palpatine...), Ian McDiarmid will still do a good job.

Completely unrelated, this is currently my Steam avatar:

Steam_2019-12-15_04-38-28.png

:p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I could not at all get into any Adam Sandler comedy (it would vary from "eh" to "omg, no") but that Uncut Gems has me curious/interested. Sometimes an actor/actress can be someone I think nothing of, until they suddenly do a genre/style switch up. Perhaps Sandler (for my tastes anyway) should've have been in more dramatic roles the entire time.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@algroth

kinda amusing you mention uncut gems 'cause while looking for a punch drunk love video for our earlier post, we noticed the uncut gems clip and gave it a looksee.  am intrigued.

more curious is while searching video results for "adam sandler" and "punch drunk love," the following  video were recommended to us by youtube:

am thinking the youtube algorithm needs a bit o' tuning.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Reading Episode 9 spoilers has me wondering what was the point of this trilogy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, TrueNeutral said:

To sell toys.

Well, that was the purpose for all... 😛  Granted it is a bit more naked with the needless introduction of crap like the kuncle dragging AT-ATs and the Sith troopers.   On the bright side, we're not getting some DBZ esque final battle like the Matrix ended with, so there's that.

I saw some of those SW leak articles/videos but refrained from reading/watching. I still think the last two SW movies were at least entertaining, since I stopped caring about anything making sense. Not saying they're good movies, just fitfully entertaining.

I do think it would have been much more interesting to have Rey and Kylo pair up. I don't mean romantically. Just the notion of a force-team that's not black or white ultragood or ultraevil but somewhere in the middle, with each having influence on the other as they try to build a whole new system. A balance of the force, so to speak. I kind of liked the whole "time to toss all that old stuff away" Kylo kept preaching.  I feel like that should be Disney's mantra with the movies, because honestly there's just nowhere for the "Jedi/Sith" and "Resistance" lines to go, at least not in the way they're doing it. It's just utter repetition at this point and if they want to continue it as a film franchise, they need to change it up.

That all said I'm curious enough about the last one that I think I'm going to see it in the theater. I haven't done theater in a long long time. I may walk out thinking it's the worst movie evah but for some reason I want to see it on the big screen.

Just got back from the new Star Wars. That montage early on may very well be  taught in film schools around the world for years to come, so students can see what not to do. Possibly the worst cut together scenes in movie history.

People in the theatre enjoyed the movie as a big bundle of fan service but with the disclaimer that they understood that it probably was a terrible movie when judged just as a movie.

One of my friends got up and left during the movie.

I considered it.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'm not sure what your problems are here, guys. I just realized how wrong I was.

Rian Johnson is a cinematic genius. The point of The Last Jedi was, quite frankly, exactly what Kylo Ren said to Rey: The Empire, your parents, the Resistance, the Sith, the Jedi - let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That's the only way to become what you are meant to be.

It's just that I thought for a while Kylo was talking to Rey, but no. Rey wasn't even an author insert like Mary Sues usually are. No, Rey was there for us as audience. Since TLJ killed the past for me - i.e. freed me of any attatchments I had to Star Wars as an entertainment intellectual property, I could just thoroughly enjoy Rise of Skywalker and bask in its utter and complete brilliance, except for a bit at the very end where

it would clearly have been better if Rey stayed dead
which I thought didn't work as well as everything else.

This was quite frankly truly impressive and it wouldn't have been possible without The Last Jedi. It's not easy, but I'm not afraid to admit that I was wrong.

And the scene at the end where Tom "Palpatine" Riddle and Harry "Rey" Potter re-enact the ending of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with the spirits of all the Jedi helping Rey deafeat Voldemort was nothing but sheer cinematic brilliance. It's a pity that they seem to have run out of their special effects budget, because I sure would have liked to actually see the spirit of James and Lili Palpatine helping Rey fend of Voldemort's Force Avada Kedavra. Kylo "Fawkes" Ren could have healed Rey with his tears and then gone up in flames instead of fading out too, to drive the point home a bit better, but eh, the hell... that's minutiae.

That was money well spent. Oh, and yeah. I'm only somewhat facetious here. The disconnect TLJ  caused truly made me appreciate this one in the same way I enjoyed watching 6 Underground. It's so bad it's good. Especially the end where, quite frankly, nothing makes sense. Nothing about the entire ending makes any sense. It's glorious.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

^Today I've been thinking something similar about Star Wars and the Disney era. The concussion I have helps too.

I think that Best of the Worst has surpassed MST3K as my all-time favorite make fun of bad movies show. Thanks to whoever posted that first clip here! I also think that Mac has become one of my favorite guests.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

I was just hoping for the ending battle to basically be Gohan vs Cell, where Rey needs everyone's power to amp up her Light-side force lightning to win the beam lock.

• Like 1