The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

Previous thread:

Last post:

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Also, Adam Sandler’s ‘Uncut Gems’ Re-Classified as Drama for Golden Globes.  Guess someone got wise after THE MARTIAN was up for best Musical or Comedy.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It might make more sense if you read the link about the Golden Globes reclassifying UNCUT GEMS after the producers submitted it for consideration for "Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy". 

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association created new rules to allow them to move dramas out of the category after THE MARTIAN won "Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy".

...this is what I get for trying to be topical. 😛

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

26 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

This thread title is confusing.

can't think of any comedy drama action films?  lethal weapon 2 kinda stuff? fifth element?

as for black widow, am calling fake news. after all, last we heard the trump administration were insisting natasha romanova is actual a ukrainian agent.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD

I like stuff. Hence I like this thread. :shifty:

...tried to watch that Robin Hood movie with Jamie Foxx and that other guy (edgerton?) in it. The obviously machine tailored with some modern sensibility clothing was really out of place (first thing I noticed in a trailer too) but beyond that it's just a terrible movie. I turned it off after 45 minutes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

15 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So what about The Irishman people? Or has no one had a spare 9 1/2 hours to watch it yet? 

I thought I saw someone in the previous thread mention it.

Myself, I've never really been into "mobster/crime family" type films. Never watched Godfather's, Scarface, or all of Goodfellas (bored, turned it off) etc, only seen the well known clips. Closest I can recall watching all of is A Bronx Tale. Hubby's seen some of them so I mentioned Irishmen to him, but it's not his favorite genre so he's in no hurry.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"The Report"  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8236336/

I have a hard time with this one. On the one hand, Adam Driver has a pretty great, if largely low-key, performance as the lead, along with a few brief other moments of actor pizazz. On the other hand, it's a movie that consists almost entirely of talking. People in board rooms, offices, meeting round tables, talking. People in a research room that's like a concrete bunker, talking. A lot of exposition dumps. Flashback exposition/scenes, often of more talking. Politics and reports. Potentially nothing wrong with that but ...

I felt like I should've been bored, but I wasn't. But neither was I seriously engaged. So maybe ... a C+? B-?

Edited by LadyCrimson

18 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

So what about The Irishman people? Or has no one had a spare 9 1/2 hours to watch it yet? 

I didn't finish it.

I'm not that big a fan of Scorcese's work anyway, but this lacked something more. I think it's that Scorcese's made films like this before but they either about good people getting tragically embroiled and falling from grace such as The Godfather or if they're about fundamentally irredeemable people like Goodfellas or The Wolf of Wallstreet they make up for it with infectious kinetic energy. This, however, was the slow pace of Godfather without any appealing characters. I just found myself not caring about any of these people . 

Also, the de-aging effects are really awkward because especially DeNiro still carries himself like an old man in these sequences. The effect is hilariously uncanny valley. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 5:40 PM, Amentep said:

It might make more sense if you read the link about the Golden Globes reclassifying UNCUT GEMS after the producers submitted it for consideration for "Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy". 

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association created new rules to allow them to move dramas out of the category after THE MARTIAN won "Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy".

...this is what I get for trying to be topical. 😛

They really did that? Jeez... Did they also classify Foxcatcher as a musical or comedy because it starred Steve Carrell?

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Looks like the producers of FOXCATCHER submitted it as a Drama for the Globes - its the producers who submit under the category; the change allows the Hollywood Foreign Press to move dramas out of the category.

Also...

• Like 2

Everyone was raving about how great Marriage Story was, so I gave it a watch with my wife. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johanson both deliver good performances, and the film is good. Both the strength and the weakness of the film is that it stays very grounded.

Watches "Free Guy" trailer.

...well, at least it should be better than Pixels.

1 hour ago, bugarup said:

Old classic series or that new one? (Only important if you care whether you're my bestest brosephski for lyfe or just a decent dude of culture)

I was thinking old classic series, more specifically the gold cloths from the Battle of the Twelve Temples saga.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

On 12/10/2019 at 10:18 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Watches "Free Guy" trailer.

...well, at least it should be better than Pixels.

Clearly a live-action Wreck it Ralph.

My kids loved Pixels. They would watch it over and over again. Eventually I warmed up to it. :p