What Are You Playing Now: The Other Thread

Amentep

Tried to play Spellforce 3. For some reason it tries to overheat my GPU and Steam tries to synchronize the cloud saves, while I have disabled them globally (as "not specifically for this game"), then it hangs and crashes (once with the OS).
So, now I'm looking for a way to prevent Steam from doing this, preferably, without switching it to the offline mode. These are relatively small issues, but they are rather irritating.

Edited by Hawke64

On 1/19/2020 at 5:02 PM, vyvexthorne said:

Yeah, I watched a video about desperados 3 after downloading shadow tactics and stuck it in my watchlist. I had never heard of Desperados either.

Pick up and play first Desperados. It's still very good. It used to have some performance issues, but it got patched when IP holder decided to resurect the series after Shadow Tactics success.

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Hadn't played Path of Exile for maybe a couple years. Sheer boredom had me d/l and install it. Lost a few chr. names for being away so long (not the chrs, just the names) so pfft, I deleted them and some other mid-levels. Made a new chr. so I could figure out any changes to the tree and gems etc. before I use the "forced" reallocation of points on a few past high lvl characters.

Still addicted to the Scion class, it's flexibility means it's basically the only class I play, outside of a single Witch as a stronger summon build. Don't care about the end-game stuff much (the maps and whatnot) but it's fun to run through the Acts . The first difficulty is so easy now it's almost sad.

I found myself oddly missing Diablo 3's current ability to skip difficulties at whim. But otherwise ... since it's been so long, PoE might entertain me for a few weeks again...my current rig maxes settings at rock solid 140fps at 1440, smooth as butter. Haven't tried it in 4k.  EDIT:  I just tried it. Oddly it's seemingly still gets 120fps in 4k.  First game that's done that. 😛

I play as a Shadow.  Gives me a solid Green and Blue skill tree to tinker with, unlike the Ranger, which leaves me confined to Green only. 

Still mostly FF XIV (the M MO, for those unaware ;)), gotta hand it to them, while the story is a heap of clichés it's pretty well told. They actually do take the time for you to "bond" with characters before killing them off, quite unlike the "trend" of telling you you should care about $CHARACTER right off the bat ("Hey, you, PC, go find your dad/son you don't really know! But you should care about them, because family! Hey, where are you going?")

Game swings heavily between derp and dark too, going from a raped girl right back to brewing booze for goblins back to burying people (as in, tossing corpses on a cart, not the usual MMO fare of turning people into corpses). It's almost surreal at times.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

Playing EU4, doing better as Russia.  Probably picking Quantity ideas was a bit over kill but expanding west worked out ok once I raced to the Crimea.  Shattered Lithuania and erased Poland so far and have the Crimea.  Last war with Ottomans was sort of pointless but was pleased to see I kept them on the backfoot. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords. I resumed my playthrough after 4.5 years. I don't remember much, but it has never stopped me before.
The party successfully defeated Sith assassins at the Mandalorian camp and traveled to Iziz, Onderon, in order to .. find a Jedi Master? The city was on the verge of civil war and the palace, where the Jedi Master was supposed to be, was blocked from public access.

I finished Kentucky Route Zero. It's a very melancholy experience. The game is extremely well made, and I'm glad I experienced it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it, if that makes any sense. I don't think I was really looking to experience something that somber, but it's good that I did. I have no idea if I'm making any sense. It's a very weird game.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I finished Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines couple days back. With unofficial patch it didn't crash on me once and all the quests worked.

It's been over ten years since I played it last and I was surprised how much I had forgotten. I literally remember nothing about Chinatown, not quests, areas, or characters. Nothing. Does this mean I'm a racist?

It still is the best vampire RPG ever created. Oh, and I think it has the best new game+ mode  ever created: playing as malkavian.

• Like 4

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

3 hours ago, kirottu said:

It still is the best vampire RPG ever created. Oh, and I think it has the best new game+ mode  ever created: playing as malkavian.

YES. This so much. You haven't fully experienced VtMB until you have played through as a Malkavian.

With Malkavians, any playthrough other than the first turns deliciously and absurdly meta and I love it.

It still is the best vampire RPG ever created.

There we go!

It's been over ten years since I played it last and I was surprised how much I had forgotten. I literally remember nothing about Chinatown, not quests, areas, or characters. Nothing. Does this mean I'm a racist?

No, it just means that you have reached the most obviously rushed, unpolished, and uninspired segment of the game, where cuts and constraints finally start to reflect negatively on the overall experience.

Whenever I decide to reinstall VtMB, in 9 out of 10 situations Chinatown is the point where I burn out on the game. It's a slough.

That or the descent into Nosferatu warrens. But that you can skip with a mod.

Edited by Skazz

I heard of Wolcen Lords of Mayhem recently, which is going full release on Steam tomorrow. Searching, I see a couple mentioned it here in the past ... over three years ago. It looks like a nice blend of Diablo/Grim Dawn/PoE (with a similar styled but more manageable, smaller passive tree). I was considering buying it now when it's cheaper ($30) (goes up in price on release to maybe $45 I think).  But there are some concerns, like length and how long (if ever) for future planned content/polishing, buggy state, etc.

Does anyone who has it already have an opinion re: whether one should wait some months and a possible even cheaper sale to buy it, instead?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Shovel Knight: King of Cards. What a treat Shovel Knight turned out to be. The final campaign is probably my least favourite one - limitations of the King Knight movement set are interesting, making platforming feel more methidical but I don't find the nearly as fun and any of the three previous knights. On a flip side, there is a mini card game this time around, and it's quite clever. Not something I am into though, when playing a retro 2d platformer. 

I've been revisiting Don't Starve.  I think I have age of giants or some such.  I love the game, but it's just too harsh.  I've managed to live up to... 90 days?  100?  Something like that.  I stopped playing a few years ago when eyeplants took over my rather expansive camp after I'd gone hunting for resources elsewhere.  Maybe I'll get a really good map and 'retry' if I die for once.  I do appreciate the bleak aspect of the game, but the fact that it's *so* desperate I depressing.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Well I went ahead and bought Wolcen last night.  The release price went to $40, not $45, btw. The latter is the price for the 'bundle' that includes the soundtrack, which I never care about.

Installed fine, loaded up fine, graphically looks pretty nice. Cutscene heavy at the start, but they're pretty to look at. Voice acting seemed more than ok if a bit on the over dramatic side. Running with everything max except my usual disliked effects turned off (bloom, DoF, blur, blah blah). In 4k with vsync off the fps fluctuates a fair bit between 60-90fps mostly. Didn't get far (hubby brought tacos for lunch so I quit) but so far so good. Female chr. appearance is rather weird/bizarre/freaky (reminds me of Firefall beta w/tiny heads/super long legs/high heel, odd posture) but since most of the time you look at your chr. in full armor + small size, I don't notice or care when playing.

Does look like a fairly linear campaign, at least to start, not sure how much it opens up.

Am using Offline play - I think the Online server connection stuff is borked right now, too busy or something, unsure.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Beat Tropico 6.   Interesting that only 1.2% of all players on Steam actually have beat all the missions.  Last mission was a doozy, apparently focusing heavy on cloth/apparel and then pretty much turning into an armed camp is the way to go.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The final DLC for Fire Emblem Three Houses came out so I bought the season pass. I forgot how bad the drift in my right joycon was and had to order a new set. As it is now, the camera slides towards the ground as a walk and I have to constantly flick it to get so I can see what's in front of me. This leads to a delightful game of camera bobbing that is nauseating.

19 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Ok does someone want to explain Kingdom Come: Deliverance low fps for me?

I got it free from Epic Games today but it doesn't seem to want to run higher than single digit fps.

I have a high end PC so that's definitely not the issue.

Wtf is choking this thing?

Ok I guess it was a v-sync issue and it's cleared up.

Playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance, free of charge from Epic Games.

One of the best open world games there is.  The writing is suburb and so is the character building.

If more women were like medieval women then things may be better in society.

Doesn't mean I'm calling for a reactionary Christian rollback it's just some women in medieval times seem better in some ways than modern women.

Starcom Nexus

Fun little indie space game. Get to design your ship with parts, research tech, find resources, and pew guys who pew you.

There's a compelling story hook in there about getting lost in another region of space and maybe time travel. But it's too slow to develop.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

20 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Well I went ahead and bought Wolcen last night.  The release price went to $40, not $45, btw. The latter is the price for the 'bundle' that includes the soundtrack, which I never care about.

Installed fine, loaded up fine, graphically looks pretty nice. Cutscene heavy at the start, but they're pretty to look at. Voice acting seemed more than ok if a bit on the over dramatic side. Running with everything max except my usual disliked effects turned off (bloom, DoF, blur, blah blah). In 4k with vsync off the fps fluctuates a fair bit between 60-90fps mostly. Didn't get far (hubby brought tacos for lunch so I quit) but so far so good. Female chr. appearance is rather weird/bizarre/freaky (reminds me of Firefall beta w/tiny heads/super long legs/high heel, odd posture) but since most of the time you look at your chr. in full armor + small size, I don't notice or care when playing.

Does look like a fairly linear campaign, at least to start, not sure how much it opens up.

Am using Offline play - I think the Online server connection stuff is borked right now, too busy or something, unsure.

The servers seem to be working as of now. Stable ping, no lags. I don't usually play online when it is optional, but the game doesn't seem to cloud sync characters so online it is for me. It's just very, very different from four years ago. Back when I first tried it (backed it as "Umbra" on Kickstarter) it was an open world action RPG and the story - what little there was - was something else entirely.

I wonder what Anita might say to those female characters. Especially since one can apply empty skins to your armor, leaving you in a strapless bra, black panties and dominatrix style high heels with leather wraps. ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Especially since one can apply empty skins to your armor, leaving you in a strapless bra, black panties and dominatrix style high heels with leather wraps.

Just bought it.

• Haha 3

Wolcen - still in Act 1 -spent a lot of time staring at the passive tree and figuring other mechanics out.  Once you can access the town/your town portal the areas become more interesting, although not as "open" as Path of Exile or even Diablo3. Still might open up yet more in Act 2 and 3 of course.

Overall I am liking the game a fair bit. But there are a bunch of little things that start to become vexing. Examples:

--The biggest one: can't figure out how the auto-saving works. Sometimes you quit, come back and it loads you at the beginning of last mission like you never did it (but all your gear/lvls gained remain). Other times you quit and it saved quest progress just fine. I'd guess there's an issue between quest saving vs. character saving (gear, stats) not always syncing, even Offline. If you're Offline, backup your save file.

--some smaller or flying enemies do not hover-target well from up close. So melee folk will have a hard time hitting them at all. As a mage I can target/hit them from a distance most of the time, because of AoE, but it's still weird. Hitboxes and combat flow in general feel a little off sometimes. 

Basically, it feels like a fun arpg but still rushed out the gate a bit, perhaps. Too many small/minor weird things that should've been dealt with.  Possibly moreso for Online than Offline. Number of things like stash glitches being reported. Hopefully they'll patch  enough over the next couple weeks.

14 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

If more women were like medieval women then things may be better in society.

Doesn't mean I'm calling for a reactionary Christian rollback it's just some women in medieval times seem better in some ways than modern women.

wtf did I just read. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

wtf did I just read. 😄

Probably borderline sexism on my part.  You Germans are a bad influence on me.  Past and present!

Anywho.  I am alternating between Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Metro: Exodus Sam's Story.

Both great games, highly recommended.  Only if, of course, 1st person games are your thing.  If not, look elsewhere on Kickstarter or something to find your slowly dying niche.

Edited by ComradeMaster

Wolcen:  It took a little while to get going but around level 10 or so the game became much more "one more level" for me. You have to either find or buy actual new skills. Building a tanky mage w/summon help. I think this game is not going to be friendly to "glass cannon" types, you can't ignore health/Toughness for pure damage or you'll die. Overall in Act1 so far you can faceroll most things but the mini-bosses (and I hear) the Act bosses get tougher.

The bigger enemies have nice tells and animations for big attacks and there's a bit more than most arpg's in terms of having to pay close attention. In Offline if you die seems like you get 3 chances (?) to revive yourself since you have no play partners to help you. I've "died" a few times, mostly to surprise/being unfamiliar.

As a caster the one thing I find annoying is the only way to get "mana" seems to be from a potion (which are like in PoE, with "charges", vs. endless pots) or by using a staff (reg. staff attack replenishes it fast).  Every other weapon type only builds Rage. Thus you have to either always use a Staff or rely on the potion charges (can only have 2 equipped so 1 health, 1 mana potion usually) if you want to be a caster-only (vs. melee or a gun etc). Or have insane amounts of "mana" regen passives/gear maybe.

Edited by LadyCrimson