Importing from PoE1 but also making a new character?

So I've about to finish PoE1 and bought PoE2 and its DLC in advance. I'm really looking forward to importing my character and seeing the various references and things that change. The thing is, though, as much as it was a fun experience the first time in PoE1, I don't want to go all through the sequel as a Priest again. It made a nice change being a support class but I was basically playing as a buff/healbot with high Dex and didn't feel like my character was all that involved.

Is there any way to import your save but remake the character itself from scratch? I know you can create a history, like in the DA series and TW3 but I get the feeling there's gonna be a load of little things not covered by those options.

Good news: yes. As a matter of fact, that’s all you can do. When you import save you import choices, but not the character. Even if you import your save, you still go through character creation, and whenever you stick to PoE1 (like I did!) or create/modify your character is up to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matroska said:

assumed it kept the class but obviously it would be the PoE2 version of that class. Well that's cool. Thanks for the reply.

That's a fair assumption, as that's what generally importing a character does. There were couple complaints that one can't simply import their old character.

As there are mechanical and graphical changes between PoE1 and PoE2 Obs explained that:

1) They are not able to properly import created characters - assets changed, so automatically creating characters player wanted to play in PoE1 would be tricky - players would have to customise their character anyway

2) mechanics change, so someone might not want to continue playing as the same character.

Either way, enjoy PoE2. Also, lovely portrait. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 5:32 AM, Jill7894 said:

One thing that should have been retained is reputation. In POE1 I was renowned for my cruelty, and it's taken some time, but I've built it back up to max level in POE2. 😄

I suppose it's a new place so they don't remember you for your amazing acts of cruelty in this place - and also, surely it's fun to terrify them all into fearing you again. :)

On 12/12/2019 at 9:32 PM, Jill7894 said:

One thing that should have been retained is reputation. In POE1 I was renowned for my cruelty, and it's taken some time, but I've built it back up to max level in POE2. 😄

17 hours ago, Matroska said:

I suppose it's a new place so they don't remember you for your amazing acts of cruelty in this place - and also, surely it's fun to terrify them all into fearing you again. :)

The game does actually keep track of your old reputation/decisions a bit in a relevant way, at least in one major way I've found.

Spoiler

when you're getting your soul back at the end of ashen maw, you'll be asked by your soul if you're still the same person as before, basically giving you a chance to re-affirm some decisions you made in poe1. if you absorbed the souls in poe1, you must be cruel in poe2 to get your absorbed-souls-buff back, or else that option is completely locked and you only have a benevolent option to say something like "No, I've changed. I'm not that person anymore."

• Like 2