Which to play

Melusina

Which to play:

Pathfinder Kingmaker - kingdom managment is yikes, but I think it's best option presented

Baldur's Gate 2 - only finished SoA and want again

Octopath Traveler - too much grind

The Witcher 3 - recently reached Bloody Baron and tons of quests and feel like I'm jumping in too soon

Drakensang the Dark Eye - run in windowed mode, but like to play charlatan

Divinity OS 2 - same as witcher, recently almost finished the game and gave up

everything I own on steam, only witcher 3 and Bg2 I own both steam and gog. I don't need purchase help.

I need to concentrate on one or two, but I tend to play a little bit of everything, resulting in repeating the beginning over and over.

Edited by Melusina

I would first finish, what i’ve started. But looking away from that, from this list Baldur’s Gate, Drakensang or Pathfinder would be my choice.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On 12/2/2019 at 1:30 PM, Mamoulian War said:

I would first finish, what i’ve started. But looking away from that, from this list Baldur’s Gate, Drakensang or Pathfinder would be my choice.

I heard some crazy stastic that only about 10% of gamers actually finish the games they play.

Melusina, if you're close to beating Divinity 2 and still consider it an option then I'd suggest just plowing through. You can cross it off your list, not feel like you've wasted all that time and also have bragging rights that you're in the top 10% of nerdkind. Also, if you go back to it much later you'll probably end up having to start over because it's hard to remember stratergies and character builds, not to mention the finer points of the story when you've let a year or two pass.

5 hours ago, Serrano said:

I heard some crazy stastic that only about 10% of gamers actually finish the games they play.

Melusina, if you're close to beating Divinity 2 and still consider it an option then I'd suggest just plowing through. You can cross it off your list, not feel like you've wasted all that time and also have bragging rights that you're in the top 10% of nerdkind. Also, if you go back to it much later you'll probably end up having to start over because it's hard to remember stratergies and character builds, not to mention the finer points of the story when you've let a year or two pass.

It was actually a while ago. I don't longer have a save, I believe I deleted it on purpose.

9 hours ago, Serrano said:

That doesn't sound crazy to me at all. I probably finish about 10% of the games I start in a year. Every once in awhile I'll go back and finish something, but usually I lose interest or get distracted by something else. It really only takes one busy week to completely derail a playthrough of a game for me. It's also why I tend to stick to easy difficulties on most types of games, because it is already hard enough to return to a game after a bit of time away without also having to relearn the best strategies. 

But yeah, life is too short to trudge through a game after I lose my enthusiasm.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:58 PM, Hurlshot said:

That doesn't sound crazy to me at all. I probably finish about 10% of the games I start in a year. Every once in awhile I'll go back and finish something, but usually I lose interest or get distracted by something else. It really only takes one busy week to completely derail a playthrough of a game for me. It's also why I tend to stick to easy difficulties on most types of games, because it is already hard enough to return to a game after a bit of time away without also having to relearn the best strategies. 

But yeah, life is too short to trudge through a game after I lose my enthusiasm.

I get what you mean, I've barely had time to play games at all this year. That said, 10% of all gamers worldwide barely ever finish the games they buy? That blows my mind, and arguably what a waste of money the videogames industry is if they're constantly pouring millions and years of development into content most people will never even see.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:03 AM, Melusina said:

It was actually a while ago. I don't longer have a save, I believe I deleted it on purpose.

My bad, I thought you were within touching distance of the end and since the game was on the list were just burned out or stuck or something. I hope you get more out of the next one.

4 hours ago, Serrano said:

That said, 10% of all gamers worldwide barely ever finish the games they buy?

These days all you have to do is look at the trophies listings of console or PC games. The ones that you tend to get just from going through the game/doing main quests, not the super hard optional ones. Like "reached chapt. 6" or "killed so and so boss."

The farther into the questline you get, the more percentage completed drops, and drops, and drops.
But yeah, I used to finish (or at least get 90% or so) most games I bought, but I don't buy many per year usually. Now I'm lucky if I get 25% in.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

How many games are really designed to be finished, though? Sports games and online shooters might have a campaign, but it is secondary to the main reason people buy them.

Which makes me wonder why should I continue DOS2 - I do not find combat particular good, so it's personally on my backlog.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am not familiar with Octopath Traveler but, from that list, if you hadn't already played it I would suggest BG2... Actually, I'll still suggest it since it seems you haven't played ToB yet and a full BG2 + ToB playthrough is IMO a must for any CRPG fan.

I really liked the first chapter of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but ran completely out of steam after I unlocked the kingdom management system. I might come back to it later and get over the hump, so to speak, but IMO the game would've been better off without it and is therefore lower on my recommendations list.

The Witcher 3 is beautiful and has some good side quests (The Bloody Baron is a great example) but IMO the combat is boring, the main story structure is weak, and the world design suffers from "clear all PoI's in this area, then move on to the next and repeat" syndrome -- the first treasure you find under a bridge, the first monster nest you blow up, the first prisoner you free, the first time a group of villagers show up to populate a location you've "cleaned up"... All very cool. The 10th time though? Not so much. And it makes exploring the world predictable, and ultimately boring.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

On to the next one!

Updated list for us to vote on:

Pathfinder Kingmaker  DONE!

Baldur's Gate 2 - only finished SoA and want again

Octopath Traveler - too much grind

The Witcher 3 - recently reached Bloody Baron and tons of quests and feel like I'm jumping in too soon

Drakensang the Dark Eye - run in windowed mode, but like to play charlatan

Divinity OS 2 - same as witcher, recently almost finished the game and gave up

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Have you a BG1 save game to import into BG2?

Black Isle has an interesting [possibly Fallout related] easter egg in the Baldur's series... but it's split across all three games; BG1, BG2, BG2:Throne of Bhaal. 

Spoiler

You must have the Golden Pantaloons from BG1 when you reach Throne of Bhaal.

Spoiler

You must also have the  Silver Pantaloons and Bronze Pantalettes

BMU.png.573dffb4986b9a4a3eb744a0d61a0e49.png
Power armor, plus fire [rocket] launcher and energy weapon.
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Big_Metal_Unit

Edited by Gizmo
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2019 at 2:44 AM, Melusina said:

Pathfinder Kingmaker - kingdom managment is yikes, but I think it's best option presented

I'm playing it with management on Auto and it made the game more enjoyable, at least for me, because I can focus on adventuring. But from time to time you still have to visit the throne room and click to let time advance. I also purchase build points and claim some of the resource sites to help it along.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

You shouldn't beat dwarves in general. Dwarf battering is not a practice tolerated by obsidianites.

Hmmm. About that...

"Smiling when threatened and downright ecstatic when punched, Khelgar is most at home in a storm of fists and insults. Khelgar’s weathered face, long dark beard and massive upper body would give would likely give him muscular good looks had he not built a collection of cuts, bruises and missing teeth on his face from countless brawls."

image.png.80984d9262f817c52e42f79eb5bcd78c.png

Yeah.

Edited by Skazz
  • Haha 2