Chanter solo beginner issues - getting mobbed.

I'm trying to play a solo chanter, but I keep getting mobbed before I can get my powerful chants finished. For example I'm stuck with the xaurip quest (Clear out the Xaurips). I need 3 chants to get my Phantom summoned. By that time 4 xuarip are surronding me and I quickly die. Can anyone suggest any tips on how to start a battle with a solo chanter?

Thanks

Yes.

Chanters have a hard time face-tanking in the early game because they have only average starting values in defenses but especially low in endurance and health. You have to be crafty until you gain some more levels and gear. Use potions of Infuse with Vital Essence to restore health if the fight takes too long and your health bar seems to drop below your max endurance. 

Turn off gib options in the game menu. More on that later.

General approach: use "Blessed Was Wengridh, Quickest of His Tribe" and run away to a chokepoint. You should be able to outrun them. Make sure they don't lose you (often they turn around if you are too fast and they are too far away from the spot they guard). Face them at the chokepoint so that only one or two can attack you. By the time you should be able to pull off the Phantom. With those Xaurips make sure that no Skirmishers can hit you with their spear because that thing stuns on hit which is devastating for any solo char. You can switch to another chat if you want - like Soft Winds. 

Use that chokepoint with the corpses and try to not reload the game. Lure all enemies of the map to that chokepoint with the amassed corpses. Always lure the enemies ontop of the corpses and then cast "White Worms". Each corpse will explode over and over again if you don't reload. The gib option lets enemies explode on crit-death. That leaves no corpse. But you want corpses to pile up. 

With that approach I can solo the whole Castle of Raedric rel. early in the game. 

For later: stack up on defenses. That means shield is mandatory. Pick Veteran's Recovery, Ancient Memory + Beloved Spirits and put on some regenerating items as well as items that increase healing. You can later use the Mercy and Kindness chant to boost healing by another 100%. See the chanter build "Chillfog" in the build list to get an idea about the healing. Dragon Thrashed is the best offensive chant there is. It also stacks with itself. There are also some other solo chanter builds with tipps and tricks there. Even one with guns and no shield. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

There is honestly no need to do the xaurip quest with a chanter, the chokepoint between the skeletons works, especially if you have figurine, but I personally wouldn't do it on a TOI/TCS..

If you do all the no fighting quests (including grabbing blacksmiths crate via sneak) after that I would go to Raedric's castle and climb the left side entrance. With 5 sneak you can bypass the guard as long as the archer isn't near.

Put on Berath robes and talk to the priest to save the guy in the basement (Giachio?).With a little bit of practice you can how to sneak thru to the south cell making a big detour going left first passing the ooze (you might have to fight a single pattrolling zombie, just make sure no one else is close). 

From the south east cell you can split and fight them one by one using red circle and the corner + line of sight to your advantage (kinda hard to explain maybe you can find a video on it, it's in Wodjee's ultimate run for example no idea if there are shorter videos but manually searching for the correct time is not that hard since its right at the beginning)

Once you freed basement guy get back to his mom talked to priest and then to Radric (pretend to help him) you are free to loot the castle at your leisure. Besides the precious random loot for better equipment you will also have enough stuff to sell to buy figurine (stealth boots on 4th in hidden container on the roof are especially helpful).

With figurine you can jsut sneak by all ghosts in Caed Nua(in the hall stick to the left) once dialogue happens use the figurine to distract the ghosts run for your life to the stairs and since out of sight combat will end after summon dies.

You can sneak thru the spider part too (5 stealth + boots of stelath) by sticking to the middle, gratz you made it to maerwald and as long as you did all non combat quests you will be level 4 and with pots of spirit shield + bulwark the fight will be relatively easy (if you rest before the fight you can also use figurine).Just run back towards the door use it as chokepoint, send phantoms against Maerwald, stunlock him win.

In Act 2 you have a lot more freedom and equipment choices and you may return for the quests you missed in Act 1 and Raedric whenever you please.

You can kill Kana for his Arquebus as well as Eder for his Second Chance armor. With Fulvano’s Amulet, Vets Recovery, 2nd chance and Weapon & Shield style by 4th level you will be able to truly take off. Rest bonuses open up once you reach Defiance Bay.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.