Need modding support NOW

Dear Obsidian,

Instead of going on about why we need modding support yesterday, I would just list some mods I personally want or would even develop myself if I had the tools.

1) A mod to turn Aptitudes into Origins (example: Arcanum) that would affect skills and stats to a larger degree, for roleplay.
2) A mod to turn Supernova into "just difficulty", while turning all additional hurdles optional & possibly adding more hurdles to choose from!
3) A mod to disable levelling up skill group together & instead give additional skill points every level, possibly based on Intellect or other rules.
4) A mod to manually increase numbers on certain dialogue checks, containers, etc, etc.
5) A mod to crudely expand content (at this stage), by adding more named enemies and items, some crude "unmarked" text quests, possibly alternative ways to get certain items (i.e. Power Regulator, Navkey).
6) Once there is a tool for modifying levels - a mod to expand interiors and exteriors of the game, possibly going hand in hand with number 5 above. Goal is more meaningful exploration. Namely, Byzantium could use more interiors and world-building.

And those are just the crudest, least-effort things a lot of players would kill for right now. There is a lot of other things that are needed badly, mostly more content, but you are 100% aware of that, so I won't waste my time. You've seen stuff like Project Nevada, you know modders won't hesitate to improve your game if they like it, so please put some effort into allowing them to do just that, and do it fast.

Is Outer Worlds the best game? Nah, but it certainly is a Spacer's Game.

Thank you for reading this.

I would like to see mods but I am not sure the design of the game will keep peoples interest.  Once you pass a certain point you can't continue to play that character like you can in open world game.  There might be one or two with enough interest to mod it but I think the majority will move on to other games.

Please just go and check official UE4 FAQ, it specifically has a section about building moddable games. You can also check official wiki while you are at it, and several user questions here and there answered directly by UE devs.

In short, there are of course certain strings attached, but it's mostly just having your modding kit approved by UE devs, which also gets easier if you are a renowned company like Obsidian. It's all covered in the EULA.

Now, when everyone write how they expect TOW 2 to be one truly cool game that will fix everything that is wrong to absolute perfection, I do not expect anyone involved to be interested in wasting some serious money and effort to add major features to this game, especially with such a heavy focus on console audience. I can already notice suspicious lack of any news on planned improvement or new content.

And with UE 4 being next to impossible to mod without proper tools from game devs, chances to any "Mod will fix it" alike to F: NV is laughable. Imho, Obsidian won't waste LOE (or be allowed to) on creating them.

Edited by Daidre

• 2 weeks later...