Haha - how awful is that? I think I never actually noticed that it can "miss". Maybe also because I tend to prefer stuff like Killers Froze Stiff over damaging invocations anyway.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

16 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Haha - how awful is that? I think I never actually noticed that it can "miss". Maybe also because I tend to prever stuff like Killers Froze Stiff over damaging invocations anyway.

don't ask me how a corpse has a functional reflex defense :)

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Pharmacist said:

I necro this thread to say that Storm of Holy Fire can cause multiple coil triggers too.

how does it do so? is it per fire "bolt" that falls?

if so, i wonder if it would also work with magran's might and meteor swarm.

4 hours ago, dgray62 said:

Would O'Eld Nary give you five inspirations if it jumps all four times? When empowered it really hits hard.

no eld nary only triggers it once.

the coil interacts with the lightning invocation because the lightning invocation appears to be implemented in the game engine really weirdly (basically as like 3 to 6 separate spell effects), which all trigger the coil each.

if what Pharmacist is saying is true - something similar must be "busted" about rain of holy fire - that it's somehow implemented as more than one spell effect. if rain of holy fire is broken, then the other spells that have similar effects like rain of holy fire should also be bugged in an advantageous way.

22 minutes ago, thelee said:

if what Pharmacist is saying is true - something similar must be "busted" about rain of holy fire - that it's somehow implemented as more than one spell effect. if rain of holy fire is broken, then the other spells that have similar effects like rain of holy fire should also be bugged in an advantageous way.

ok, just tested it. it's apparently as i suspected. the initial cast of the spell counts as one spell effect, and then each falling fire projectile counts as another spell effect, so you trigger least unstable coil twice upon initial cast, and then repeatedly retrigger it as the spell continues. it's not completely obvious that it's doing so because as you accumulate more inspirations, it becomes more likely that you're just refreshing the duration of existing inspirations, but it's definitely happening.

i didn't test it with meteor swarm, but did confirm rain of holy fire and also tested magran's might, but i have no reason to suspect meteor swarm is different.

glad to know least unstable coil isn't just busted with chanter! it's arguably even more busted on priest or wizard because empowered rain of holy fire and meteor swarm create many more procs for the coil, and both wizard and priest have arguably stronger ways to exploit e.g. a brilliant trigger. (only downside is that the interaction comes much, much later than an AL1 or AL3 chanter invocation, but then again least unstable coil will only be available late for most people)

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Thanks for the answer to my question, thelee. I was planning on trying a no rest run with a SC chanter MC, to take advantage of Sasha's Singing scimitar as the only regular source of empowering spells on such a run. I'll definitely aim for the coil when I reach the end of the game.

Edited by dgray62

2 hours ago, thelee said:

ok, just tested it. it's apparently as i suspected. the initial cast of the spell counts as one spell effect, and then each falling fire projectile counts as another spell effect, so you trigger least unstable coil twice upon initial cast, and then repeatedly retrigger it as the spell continues. it's not completely obvious that it's doing so because as you accumulate more inspirations, it becomes more likely that you're just refreshing the duration of existing inspirations, but it's definitely happening.

i didn't test it with meteor swarm, but did confirm rain of holy fire and also tested magran's might, but i have no reason to suspect meteor swarm is different.

glad to know least unstable coil isn't just busted with chanter! it's arguably even more busted on priest or wizard because empowered rain of holy fire and meteor swarm create many more procs for the coil, and both wizard and priest have arguably stronger ways to exploit e.g. a brilliant trigger. (only downside is that the interaction comes much, much later than an AL1 or AL3 chanter invocation, but then again least unstable coil will only be available late for most people)

Yup, I saw exactly that. It triggers on successful casting and then once again for each projectile. The downside is not recovering the empower point with the scimitar because it is not an invocation, so you don't get the 1 per encounter but it is busted anyway.

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Missile Salvo also works. Maybe even the other missile spells.

minoletta's was tested on page 1 and didn't work. but missile salvo is implemented like meteor swarm/rain of holy fire, except the missile comes from a point above the caster, instead of off-screen above. so it's the same weird multi-aoe effect, but i forgot about it.

and given how many projectiles missile salvo produces, wizard is probably actually the best for exploiting least unstable coil. you're probably as close to guaranteed as possible to get all six tier 3 inspirations (and not just brilliant). though frankly this might be a moot point since an empowered missile salvo already clears out most fights in the game, even some bosses.

The nice thing about Chanter is just the Singing Scimitar which turns Empower into 1/encounter and gives back 3 phrases instantly. A Skald/Bellower for example can use Her Revenge + Empower and then can always follow with another one (non-empowered) right away (since it only costs 2/3 phrases) which is pretty cool. And you don't need to be a single class for that.

Just fiddled around with Skald/Wizard for the combo of Combusting Wounds + Her Revenge. :) 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Not on console... :)

I have "Potion of Plenty" done and if I try to export char I'm getting msg "bla bla quest item that cannot be exported bla bla, unequip...." Is my save is glitched? PC btw.

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

1 hour ago, Waski said:

I have "Potion of Plenty" done and if I try to export char I'm getting msg "bla bla quest item that cannot be exported bla bla, unequip...." Is my save is glitched? PC btw.

ooo, least unstable coil might be tagged as quest item - though i thought the final version you get wasn't tagged as such?

• 1 month later...

Work also with the druid' great maelstrom, like magician' pl9 meteors and salvo missiles, for solo classes. I try differents things and with a cipher, detonation against a near death ennemie surround by anothers ones is going to trigger as much inspiration than the number of ennemies hit by the explosion, that give a tactical dimension to use the empowored point.

As a druid, twin stones may give you many inspirations , 3 au maximum  with my tests, but the real star is venombloom, triggering all the inspirations (as long as there are enough ennemies) and refreshing every 6 secondes like the first time, as long as ennemies are affected too.

This is intersting for te triggering cause if there are some items or abilities that work on the same mecanic, i mean that can be interesting to favorise concussives and salvo missiles and meteor swarm with the proc chance of the evoker , maybe?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It also works with Avenging Storm (every lightning during the empowered duration will trigger the Least Unstable Coil). I use it with dual mortars + Avenging Storm from time to time because one volley with Blinding Smoke is enough to trigger Brilliant if you hit enough enemies. 

I suspect Relentless Storm would also do this and maybe even Nature's Terror but I didn't test them. 

• Thanks 3

On 5/29/2020 at 9:14 PM, Boeroer said:

I suspect Relentless Storm would also do this and maybe even Nature's Terror but I didn't test them. 

It does not work with Relentless Storm. At least it did not the last time I tested it.

• Thanks 2

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

On 4/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, thelee said:

ooo, least unstable coil might be tagged as quest item - though i thought the final version you get wasn't tagged as such?

I just finished this quest, and when you first get the Least Unstable Coil, it is still a quest item, although it is fully usable. You have to fight a good number of additional fights in the Crucible, and then will get the message to return to Neale. He gives you then the Liquid Adra item and some XP and the quest ends. If you try to import prior to completing the quest you'll get the error message, I believe.