Is there any point for the edible items in the game?

I am playing on hard and about 25 hours into the game and I yet to feel the need to use items such as boosts or heals except the inhaler. Sure I take it from time to time but I just don't feel the difference with or without it. Not to mention they don't last very long and having to go back to inventory and scanning through items just stops the flow of the game for me - I guess a better inventory system would have helped here.

I am going off tangent, does anyone use any of the buffs and heals?

I use the two minute heal regeneration items on occasion.  Then the shorter boosts item I put in my inhaler to give me an edge occasionally.  This only became needed in certain fights in the higher level areas.  I think the system could of been better accessed and designed differently but it is serviceable.

Completed the game on supernova and it wasn't really necessary, I would just keep 1 Food and Drink with me for emergencies when I left the unreliable, because I would always find some while looting.

The game isn't really that hard for you to need the bonuses. They help, but there's no point.

• Hmmm 1

As others have noted, on Supernova difficulty, you will need drinks (not alcohol though) and foods, and it's unusually quick that you need them, especially fluids.

That said, on my two completed playthroughs, I unlocked three slots in my healing-breather-thingy and always had 'em loaded with healing juice, plus some foods to increase my regen rate (200%) and add 25% health. I like playing a sniper-type, so my other usual consumable I'd use at the beginning of a tough fight would be something like Focusitol (or whatever it's called) or its variants which increase critical and weak-point damage for a short period of time (20 seconds, if memory serves).

The rest of it, because I'm a compulsive area-cleaner, ended up in the fridge on the Unreliable. Including excess food and drink. I even took crazy-stupid risks just to steal bottles sitting on tables, even though I didn't need 'em.

Personally, I'd like to see the following:

• More enemy difficulty levels. Easy, normal, and hard are okay, but it needs at least two levels above hard, because even hard is easy after the 1st couple levels (I just completed a Supernova-diffulty game and honestly, I'm not hardcore. It was, in my opinion, too easy. Felt like 'normal,' really, while my 'normal' mode 1st playthrough was easy. 'Story' mode must be trivial.)
  • The ability to select whether to add in the need to eat, sleep and drink, regardless of game difficulty level
  • But Obsidian needs to do something about how fast you become thirsty or sleepy, and not have it kick in when the status bar has just barely dropped from the top—we need some way to actually view the current numbers or ideally have a sense of how much time we have before we're about to become debilitated due to hunger, thirst, or fatigue.
  • Also, foods and drinks need to be clearly labeled and ideally would be a separate consumables category or something we could filter on in the inventory.
  • The ability to select whether permanent companion death is a risk or not
  • The ability to select whether fast travel (other than just to the Unreliable) is available or not

On 11/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, Rock1m1 said:

I am playing on hard and about 25 hours into the game and I yet to feel the need to use items such as boosts or heals except the inhaler. Sure I take it from time to time but I just don't feel the difference with or without it. Not to mention they don't last very long and having to go back to inventory and scanning through items just stops the flow of the game for me - I guess a better inventory system would have helped here.

I am going off tangent, does anyone use any of the buffs and heals?

Yes,you can slot them into your inhaler for added bonuses when you heal. And in the hardest game difficulty you have to eat,drink, and sleep, to stay alive.

I use them constantly on my Supernova playthroughs depending on how I spec, what the zone progression is, what my goals are and what debuffs I have.  If I want to take on high level mobs somewhere head on early (Monarch, Byz etc..) then I'm probably going to burn through consumables since they're ostensibly powerful perks and the difference between me or my companions dying and not dying depending precisely on context.

I've also done solo or one companion runs where consumables and medial equipment bonuses were the difference between one shot sneak attacks and getting skill checks conducive to my playstyle and..not getting those.

Edited by Fisto

I've used some to hack and pick doors. It makes my mind numb when I look at all the food, drinks, cigarettes and other stimulants. Armor cream is another one I use. I got in a fight and accidentally used something that dropped my stats and made me walk slow, I was stuck in a cave fighting mantisaurs for a LONG time. It was fun. What I want is an automated injector, someone with enough intelligence could make. I wear the surgeon mask like that. Or a mod would be cool maybe it enhances the visual effects as well.