Anton Crane missing on Roseway - steps to reproduce

I see this has happened to a lot of people. Here's how things went down for me.

After the Jameson quest, told Anton Byzantium wasn't all that great etc.

Went through the hills and entered the Covert Lab through the vent before meeting Lillian.

Spoke to Cassandra first, didn't accept her quest but didn't kill her either.

Spoke to Porter.

Gassed the raptidons.

Headed back to town through the vent without finishing up because I was carrying too much stuff.

At this point, Anton was already gone. I was hoping he'd show up again later, but he didn't...

EDIT: Actually, all this is irrelevant. Scroll down for more.

Edited by Infinitron

22 minutes ago, Infinitron said:

I see this has happened to a lot of people. Here's how things went down for me.

After the Jameson quest, told Anton Byzantium wasn't all that great etc.

Went through the hills and entered the Covert Lab through the vent before meeting Lillian.

Spoke to Cassandra first, didn't accept her quest but didn't kill her either.

Spoke to Porter.

Gassed the raptidons.

Headed back to town through the vent without finishing up because I was carrying too much stuff.

At this point, Anton was already gone. I was hoping he'd show up again later, but he didn't...

My understanding is that this is on purpose...

Check Groundbreaker.

;)

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

1 minute ago, Infinitron said:

The quest journal is still directing me towards the Comms building. Perhaps he's meant to appear in Groundbreaker later, but him being missing now seems like a clear bug.

It's a bit odd, yeah, but I think it is so by design. The idea is that your previous conversation and interactions with him had him reconsidering his life goals and abandoning the project and Roseway altogether. You can find him at The Last Hope and try giving him back his research but he's no longer interested in it. I think it's meant to be a moment of intentional confusion for the player, though perhaps adding a point that says "Anton's missing", to clear out the quest marker and acknowledge his absence, could help a bit with clarity.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I doubt it's intentional. They probably intended for that stuff to only happen after you'd resolved The Doom That Came To Roseway one way or the other and left the area. So you'd only notice he was gone from Roseway after you'd already encountered him elsewhere.

Scratch that. I see what caused it now - the passage of time! I loaded up a saved game from before Anton disappeared, slept in my ship for 48 hours, he was gone.

Going to the ship and back to town without sleeping, he was still there.

It may be a timer triggered by the conversation you have with him after Jameson returns.

Edited by Infinitron

Further investigation: It seems you have to enter your ship for the timer to trigger. Sleep anywhere else in Roseway for as long as you want - Anton doesn't disappear. Sleep 12 hours and then enter and exit your ship - he's gone.

I guess this is happening because by entering your ship you're considered to have left the planet.

Edited by Infinitron

• 1 year later...