Half-Life 3 sorta announced

Bokishi

My hope is that people not having VR is the issue, and Valve is waiting for wider adoption before releasing Half-Life 3.

Half-Life: Alyx is hopefully a huge "*ahem* get ready" wake-up call for the real thing.

Plus I have a feeling the GPUs need to be made specfically for a VR world, because there current line-up is reminding me of the awkward 8800 GT days which was a killer upgrade but seemed to take forever for a truly "next-gen" card to come out.

Looks like Valve trying to push VR by dangling a HL3 carrot in front of frothing fans to me.

Honestly once this much time has passed and with most of the people that made the originals gone I feel they should just be left alone. Putting stuff in the same setting is fine (like this game), but making a HL3 at this point, yeah, probably not a good idea. Unlike BG3, which most of the people going ape about haven't played the predecessors of, I doubt HL3  being rather unlike HL2 would go over too well.

Edited by marelooke

I think I bought/tried HL2 just to see what the fuss was about. All I remember is writing my name on a cement wall with bullet decals. At least, I think that was the HL game... not really interested myself but I understand the frustration of wanting a new game in a series and waiting forrrrrever wondering if you're going to even get one.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What's the obsession for any fan of a franchise waiting for the next game and, as read above, waiting a long time.  I've wanted to see a new Half-Life game since I finished the episodic games that came out some time ago.  I didn't realize that there were memes or a craze about it, but I don't follow games as much any more.  I imagine we'd hear the shouts of joy throughout many quarters if Baldur's Gate 3 were announced.  Assuming it hasn't been already, of course.  I haven't been following games very much for years.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

On 11/19/2019 at 12:44 PM, Keyrock said:

Behold, my God-tier GIMP skillz:

bLxo1NZ.jpg

Modders ported the Half-Life Uplink demo and the Decay co-op mode from the PS2 version of Half-Life 1 to the Steam version, so it'd be interesting to see if an enterprising team ported the content of Half-Life: Alyx to a non-VR format.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

This thing is made with VR in mind... If they port it, it probably won't be good. It's not the same as porting a console game to pc.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

9 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

What's the obsession for any fan of a franchise waiting for the next game and, as read above, waiting a long time.  I've wanted to see a new Half-Life game since I finished the episodic games that came out some time ago.  I didn't realize that there were memes or a craze about it, but I don't follow games as much any more.  I imagine we'd hear the shouts of joy throughout many quarters if Baldur's Gate 3 were announced.  Assuming it hasn't been already, of course.  I haven't been following games very much for years.

Ermm.. BG3 has been announced. 

And I probably won't bother. For me the entire series was wrapped up in Throne of Bhaal. This seems really cynical calling it Baldur's Gate 3 when there's no need for any continuation. 

They just can't leave well enough alone!

nowt

I played the original a year after its release and became obsessed. With the modding scene, I still play it regularly today. I'm even still working on a Half-Life mod! I grabbed the sequel on the day it released and forced my way through it at 15 FPS on a rig that was NOT equipped to deal with it.

As a long time Half-Life fan, I'm pretty bummed that this is a VR exclusive. Even if I had the cash for a VR setup, I simply do not have the space. I'm going to have to watch somebody else play through it. Should this spell the start of a VR exclusive continuation of the series then I guess it's no longer a series for me. :(

So Freeman is gone and now we're playing Alyx, huh?  Interesting.  Hopefully it doesn't have too many of the irritating side things that end up in shooters these days.  I can just see having to put on a headcrab suit and play a frogger mini-game through a tunnel of barnacles or something stupid.  The dune buggy and boat from 2 weren't so bad, although I found them both irritating at time, but at least the devs put in enough thought to make them mostly interesting and we got plenty of breaks to disembark and mow down street trash with our weapons.

I think my favorite level of all the Half-Life games is probably Ravenholm.  I hope they manage to approximate that feeling again.

I'm not against VR, despite meme-ing it up earlier in the thread (I couldn't resist, it was too easy) and, unlike 3D and countless other gimmicks, I don't think VR is just a fad or a flash in the pan. That said, I don't think the technology is quite there yet, which is the primary reason I have held off on jumping in and continue to do so. Give it another 3 or 4 years and I'll consider it then.

For what it is (I'm assuming essentially an on-rails shooter), Half-Life Alyx looks pretty good, from that trailer. I just want to see a conclusion to the story, in one form or another.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Is this going to be a VR exclusive title?  I'm not sold on purchasing VR gear at this point.  I don't want to spend the money, but I would.  I expecially have my doubts since I tend to talk to other people (not playing) or listen to the news or some such while I game.

As far as the steam thing, I don't understand people despising platforms.  It's a free world.  If you don't like Steam or Battlenet, you don't have to use them, right? If something great is an exclusive title for that platform, that's the breaks.  Not using a platform on principle seems, and I don't mean to insult people in this thread who have expressed these views, but it seems silly.

EDIT:  thanks, gifted guy!  That really provides perspective.

Edited by MedicineDan