The Outer Worlds is nominated for GOTY, Best RPG and Best Narrative at The Game Awards

Makes sense I suppose.  Though I mean JRPGs are RPGs even though they don't really have any role playing.  Disco definitely is a role playing game... I don't think it's for me personally... But it's definitely a role playing game. Player choice(and what seems to be complete freedom) and dice rolls = RPG in my opinion at least

Side note I went back and played mass effect 1 and 2...  Did not hold up at all.  Mass effect 1 was just copy and pasted areas.  Story was good but nothing amazing... And I actually hated mass effect 2 replaying it now.  You basically have to go 100% rebel or paragon... If you mix then crew members will hate you

Edited by Theonlygarby

9 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

Makes sense I suppose.  Though I mean JRPGs are RPGs even though they don't really have any role playing.  Disco definitely is a role playing game... I don't think it's for me personally... But it's definitely a role playing game. Player choice(and what seems to be complete freedom) and dice rolls = RPG in my opinion at least

ya, you are probably right and im being a tad dramatic, lol

however, disco is its own thing and i do not compare it to the great rpgs of all-time 

im playing, literally, right now, battle chasers: absolutely great game, but, i dont compare it to disco, lol, or new vegas

TOW should be compared to mass effect: and i despise mass effects horrid adolescent writing and “good/bad”

for example: mass effect 2 was BARELY a rpg; dark souls is NOT a rpg

it is a fighting game you get to level up fighting skills (might as well play return of the king)

Edited by thearmourofGod
  • Thanks 1

I already called out Resident Evil 2 and The Outer Worlds before this list.  Never played the others, as they fall out of my spectrum of interest.  Disco looks interesting at first glance but something about it just doesn't sit well with me.  My instinct tells me to ignore it and wait for the next similarity.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

I already called out Resident Evil 2 and The Outer Worlds before this list.  Never played the others, as they fall out of my spectrum of interest.  Disco looks interesting at first glance but something about it just doesn't sit well with me.  My instinct tells me to ignore it and wait for the next similarity.

i find re2 brilliant (yes, i rebought, though, i have the original and my gamecube lol) but....

its a remake.

whats your take on that?

Edited by thearmourofGod

It's a bad sign for games this year that a remake is on the list for game of the year.  

Disco is weird... I don't regret buying it because I like supporting smaller developers and they tried to do something different.

I totally regret buying death stranding... I only have myself to blame though... I knew what it was...  I guess I just hate having money

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

I enjoyed RE1 in 1997 and enjoyed the remake in 2002.

I enjoyed RE2 in 1998 and enjoyed the remake in 2019.

there's my take...

i find your discrepancies alarming as the re2 remake is a remake and a touch better

if re2 REMAKE gets any awards ill go ballistic

* why the dicrepency between re and remake of 2?

Edited by thearmourofGod

10 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

It's a bad sign for games this year that a remake is on the list for game of the year.  

As a game in and of itself it is fantastic, so I don't think the fact that's a remake really matters all that much.  But then again I'm pretty much used to lack of sheer originality at this point, and welcome tactical and technical improvements to old philosophies.  Sign of the times.

Having said that, I am surprised Metro: Exodus didn't make the cut at least as an honorable mention.  The plot is phenomenal.

Also since when is being your own new thing a bad thing? I would also say that Disco Elysium is very much an RPG because regardless of what you expect of RPG gameplay, the focus of the game is pretty heavily centered around *roleplaying*. That it's taking a new approach to this genre is only a plus in my book.

• Hmmm 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

15 minutes ago, algroth said:

Also since when is being your own new thing a bad thing? I would also say that Disco Elysium is very much an RPG because regardless of what you expect of RPG gameplay, the focus of the game is pretty heavily centered around *roleplaying*. That it's taking a new approach to this genre is only a plus in my book.

in-game mechanics, for me

again. i LIKE disco

but, i have to fib the lines to compare it to other rpg classics

i d love to c the greatness of disco integrated into NV, for example

but, i will not agree with disco needing vegas:  two different genres

Edited by thearmourofGod

36 minutes ago, thearmourofGod said:

in-game mechanics, for me

again. i LIKE disco

but, i have to fib the lines to compare it to other rpg classics

i d love to c the greatness of disco integrated into NV, for example

but, i will not agree with disco needing vegas:  two different genres

There's two separate points at play here, I think. Firstly, I think the argument came about because someone, maybe you or maybe someone else, was debating Disco Elysium's legitimacy as a GOTY/RPGOTY contender - in this debate what matters is how it compares regarding other games of the *same year*, and not whether it stands up to the classics. In this regard, let me know which RPGs released since Dec 2018 would you place over Disco Elysium, because The Outer Worlds aside I can't think of any legitimate contenders, myself.

Secondly there's the matter of its comparisons with previous RPGs and so on, and whether it measures up to them. Now, I have only started playing the game and I don't want to give a final verdict over whether I'll find it to be as good as the classics or whatnot, but I'll say this: based on what I'd played so far, based on what I've seen and heard from various sources and so on, this isn't just a game all RPGs should be eyeing, it's a game the *entire medium* should be looking into. With the way it overtly approaches current real-life topics and philosophies without any fantastic lens or filter to soften it out, with the way the game is actively trying to expose ideologies and paint a particular landscape that doesn't just allude to but often directly reflects many of the discussions and debates of the last few years, this is the sort of game the medium needs to be doing more to be a contending artform. Next to it all your Witchers and Baldur's Gates and Morrowinds look like child's play, really. There's nothing inherently wrong with escapism but there's very few video games out there across the medium's history that dare to be more, and dare to be more on this level. I love the balls on it, I love the ambition and I love how it's a right middle finger to the manchildren who have a seizure every time someone dares bring "politics" into games. If this game opens the doors for more devs to treat video games as a legitimate outlet for more complex and layered discussions on matters that don't simply revolve around mental illness, it definitely deserves all the praise it can get.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

2 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

As a game in and of itself it is fantastic, so I don't think the fact that's a remake really matters all that much.  But then again I'm pretty much used to lack of sheer originality at this point, and welcome tactical and technical improvements to old philosophies.  Sign of the times.

Having said that, I am surprised Metro: Exodus didn't make the cut at least as an honorable mention.  The plot is phenomenal.

Fair enough.  A good game is a good game.  I still stand by it saying a lot about this year's games though.

The good thing about this year is that a lot of the worst publishers have been bit in the ass by their shady practices.

I want to play metro but I'm absolutely awful at FPS.  

Edited by Theonlygarby

52 minutes ago, algroth said:

I'll say this: based on what I'd played so far, based on what I've seen and heard from various sources and so on, this isn't just a game all RPGs should be eyeing, it's a game the *entire medium* should be looking into.

Aside from what you say, I think here is a lot of interesting stuff in there when it comes to RPG system, which others devs might want to look at. I don't think that adapting skill system would be a good idea: for one it requires a lot of dedicated writing, and talking skills work for Disco but most likely wouldn't work for most games. But I like that Disco skills don't only determine what our character can do or say, but what they see, hear, notice. 

• Like 1

I hope 'The Outer Worlds' gets an award or more. The game deserves it. It's the best games this year for me. It completely took me by surprise.

And while we're at it: Please let's have more! A DLC or anything, it doesn't matter as long as we get more!

[EDIT]
And make sure Parvati is in it 😛

Edited by Mushashi7

15 hours ago, thearmourofGod said:

i should also state, console games only.  my fault

morrowind to oblivion

mass effect one to mass effect two

assassins creed one to ass creed two

i thought, foolishly, each and every time, that the next game would expand what greatness the first had started. 

skyrim vanilla is a crock. a scam: yet, im about to buy it for my daughter due to mods.  and, im actually getting giddy, lol

* morrowind was my first xbox buy:  beth games are now on my never auto-buy list

btw: TOW doesnt even get close to the brilliance of NV:  id never b foolish enuf to compare the two

Mass Effect 2 is superior to 1 in almost every way. The gameplay in ME1 was hardly anything special. I played it in spite of the mediocre gameplay. ME2 made shooting actually somewhat enjoyable.

nowt

13 hours ago, thearmourofGod said:

its as idiotic as negative Elex reviews: one of the great rpgs created (console):  they foolishly downgrade what i consider a strength: typical modern gamer trash

NO handholding

NO dumbing down 

Man i loved Elex BUY i could only play it for about 10 hours then it wouldn't work anymore for some reason  lol

Honestly, having not even played Disco Elysium but having seen the first few minutes of it, I can see it doing very well in the awards. It completely flew under my rader until it was covered by Many A True Nerd. I loved The Outer Worlds as an RPG, don't get me wrong, but the concepts in DE seem a little more unique and interesting. It reminds of the point and click adventures I used to love back in the day, but with an RPG crashing right through the middle of it.

Other than that, RE2MAKE was the only other game that caught my eye this year and I was done with it in a week.

4 hours ago, daven said:

Mass Effect 2 is superior to 1 in almost every way. The gameplay in ME1 was hardly anything special. I played it in spite of the mediocre gameplay. ME2 made shooting actually somewhat enjoyable.

as other gamers for years have proven, mass effect 2 takes the rpg mechanics of the first game and flushes them

yes, exactly...a shooter with combat upgrades and dialogue choices that dont matter (boring companions and “romance” to boot)

Edited by thearmourofGod