One and a Half Playthroughs

This game is outstanding. The formula is simple: start with a story that could easily stand on its own - well-written, engaging, funny, sad, clever and clear - then put that story into a game that's better crafted than every other game of this type published for many years. Drive the narrative with the player's own decisions, and provide a full dose of story for every potentially bizarre choice the player might make. Include beautiful graphics and music, and polish the mechanics until they shine. Once all that's in place, spend what genius you have left on the details. Finally, be sure to coat the whole shebang with a thick layer of just plain showing off.

I've just finished my first complete play through. It took about 40 hours, though it is likely to go faster for those with young reflexes, and take longer for players who explore more. There were several side quests I simply skipped because I wanted to see how the main story ended. I suspect that the length will vary greatly depending on the choices you make, and I intend to play again just to see the parts I most certainly missed completely. I admit that a couple of those 40 hours was spent pacing the room trying to reason out some very sticky choices, and never finding a real good justification for any of the possible decisions. Sometimes there just isn't a perfect outcome.

Having said all that, the game is not flawless. On my old PC, I experienced one major crashing bug very near the end - requiring an awkward work-around to circumvent - and found that several other people had the same bug happen to them. However, given Obsidian's attention to detail and quality throughout the rest of the game, I would bet money that this will be patched very shortly. Another time, one of my companions fell through a platform. And, once, my companion failed to make the elevator in time. I also spotted two typos. So, not perfect, but a lot closer than any other game of this type Ive seen in the last several years.

So, I recommend this game to anyone who likes their stories more complex, and their humor more subtle - though there were times I laughed out loud, and times I (mistakenly) thought the choices were clear. And I especially recommend this to those who, like me, appreciate art that clearly combines skill, dedication, and an obviously deep love for the work.

Now, I need sleep. I've missed a few nights. Tomorrow, I'll start again. I just realized that I only picked two pockets! And there's certain business woman who is definitely getting shot MUCH earlier in the game this time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am about to play this. I tried to play it last week but i could not get into it for some reason. I think it is because i heard it was so short BUT i have also heard that people are doing 30 to 40 hours not the 15 or 14 hours i had been hearing. As much as i cover every square inch of a game then it will take me a good while so ima jump in again!!

1 hour ago, Omgilovesteak said:

I am about to play this. I tried to play it last week but i could not get into it for some reason. I think it is because i heard it was so short BUT i have also heard that people are doing 30 to 40 hours not the 15 or 14 hours i had been hearing. As much as i cover every square inch of a game then it will take me a good while so ima jump in again!!

If you sprint from Point A to Point B, and skip all the exploration and side content, then the game is pretty short. My first playthrough was over 80 hours.

• Thanks 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 hour ago, Omgilovesteak said:

the game is not short

those saying the game is short are purposefully skipping game content 

even if one skips content for rping purposes the game is not short  

on multiple playthroughs of the first area alone my shortest run has been 8hours and that was with dialogue skipping, no looting of unlocked/common containers or enemies i didnt kill and playing with purpose as it was a replay

• Like 2

I got the hint about this game from a friend. Bored as I was I trusted his instincts. I was not disappointed.

I rushed through the game in 21 hours to get a feeling of it. Now I'm on my fourth play-through and still enjoying and discovering.

This game is so different from many other games. Crazy and full of humor. I simply love it and can only recommend it to others.

Third Playthrough.

I am on my third time now. Yesterday, I discovered two more areas that I completely missed the other two times. Also, I keep learning how to use the various systems better each time. This time, I'm playing with the initial points evenly distributed. This completely changes the way points get used as I level up since all the sub-skills in a category are the same. Its a bit harder in the beginning, since there aren't any real standout skills yet, but the evenness means the points are being used more efficiently. So the plan is that more stats end up further along after a while.

That's the plan, anyway 😉

I really thought it might be boring, since I know so much of the story by now, but its a real challenge to get done the things I know must be done. This time, I don't have some of the speech checks or lock picking or hacking I relied on before and have to figure out other ways to cope.

I have to say, this game was a very good investment. So far, this thoroughly engaging entertainment is costing me about fifty cents per hour.

• Like 2