Things that didn't make sense

I am sure there are tons but here are some things that stuck me as odd.  Nyoka giving Parvati pointers on how to use a weapon with Parvati acting as if she was afraid to shoot a gun, this was after I don't know how many combat engagements with Parvarti. 

The Sublight boss lady wanting us to hunt down aliens presenting it like we would find the concept to be some unbelievable thing that might occur even though we are light years away from Earth and have been experiencing strange carnivorous beasts and fauna.

Receiving a small herd of woolly cows that we see no where else in the game , where the hell did they come from and why if they can obviously travel through space aren't they bred then harvested on Terra 2.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ommamar said:

The Sublight boss lady wanting us to hunt down aliens presenting it like we would find the concept to be some unbelievable thing that might occur even though we are light years away from Earth and have been experiencing strange carnivorous beasts and fauna.

I don’t see an issue with this one: there has been no sign of intelligent alien life, beside humans. In OW aliens meddling in human affairs is just as far fetched as it is currently in ours. The reason why the concept of alien is far fetched, isn’t that they are from outer space, but that there is no recorded evidence of other intelligent life forms. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

I don’t see an issue with this one: there has been no sign of intelligent alien life, beside humans. In OW aliens meddling in human affairs is just as far fetched as it is currently in ours. The reason why the concept of alien is far fetched, isn’t that they are from outer space, but that there is no recorded evidence of other intelligent life forms. 

But every thing we experience is alien so why would it be a reach if there was some other intelligent life that would or surpass the technology that humans had achieved?  It just struck me as odd how it was presented.  I spared the scientist trying to make hybrids so I don't know what the other threads led to as Lylia got upset and wouldn't talk to me anymore.  It is one of the things I will explore in another play through, I know this is a spoiler free sub forum but would be cool if I was allowed to find out the alternative path on my own.

The other odd thing was the whole we have to clear a Mantiqueen out of Nyoka's secret headquarters, it was presented like some big thing but I had already fought at least ten as maybe as many as a dozen.  The one in that cave wasn't any harder then any of the others which was disappointing as there was a decent amount of build up to that fight.

4 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

too many store front are closed

Seems pretty consistent with what we're told the state of affairs is. Byzantium is a highly polished turd, circling the drain of a tarnished toilet called Halcyon.

• Thanks 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The cow thing is most likely some sort of movie or show reference I bet.

Lilya was nervous about intelligent alien life more than anything else and what it would mean for Halcyon. Not for the people, but about her business for the most part and how she conducts about the galaxy. After all, a lot of what she wanted was complete Sublight control over Halcyon and make the Board obsolete. If there was a third player - one working with the Board - from which she knew nothing about, it was too much for her to deal with. All in all, she was most likely afraid of how little control and understanding she had on the stuff she was stealing. She wasn't able to grasp a bigger picture of any sort and ran into a 'simpler' solution. Got an ending where she went 'silent' thank to this paranoia of hers.

That Parvati ship encounter is only reinforcing her passive nature, the person who is innocent. That's why everyone adores her, because she is that sweet innocent girl who has yet to be corrupted by life. The encounter hardly makes sense all things considered.

I also ran into a ship encounter with Nyoka, long before I ever set foot on the Grounbreaker if I recall. It was, interesting. Made no sense until I got to Monarch then recruited her. I didn't mind too much.

Well those are my two cents.

7 hours ago, thearmourofGod said:

parvatis simpleton and unbelievable, aw shucks attitude, is one reason why i dislike her

if anything, its contrary to what she actually does in the game, as O alluded to

Part of me sort of enjoys it. I used intimidate to get her stuff and at one point she was like, "Oh captain, not this again."

I loved giving her a shock of, "welcome to reality, it isn't pretty." Her reactions to it were funny. I enjoyed pre-quest Vicar the most. Nyoka's interactions were fun at certain times too. Don't know much about Felix or Ellie. SAM unit is best as his only life's goal is to make sure everything is sanitized!

• 1 month later...

But every thing we experience is alien so why would it be a reach if there was some other intelligent life that would or surpass the technology that humans had achieved?

In reality? Intelligent life is less likely than unintelligent life. Intelligent life is a massive reach from finding alien life. In TOW universe? They obviously don't have knowledge of other intelligent life.

parvatis simpleton and unbelievable, aw shucks attitude, is one reason why i dislike her

One of the worst characters I've ever experienced. How can they be that annoying and that boring at the same time, it's a paradox. Doesn't make any sense for a weird shut-in tea party fetishist to dream about spaceships and large amounts of combat against blood thirsty marauders, corporate mercenaries, and huge alien acid spitting bugs.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, Ommamar said:

Receiving a small herd of woolly cows that we see no where else in the game , where the hell did they come from and why if they can obviously travel through space aren't they bred then harvested on Terra 2.

I am about 90% sure that this is a Tip of the Hat to the episode "Shindig" from the TV show "Firefly" (source of the movie "Serenity").  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/16/2019 at 3:17 AM, Ommamar said:

The other odd thing was the whole we have to clear a Mantiqueen out of Nyoka's secret headquarters, it was presented like some big thing but I had already fought at least ten as maybe as many as a dozen.  The one in that cave wasn't any harder then any of the others which was disappointing as there was a decent amount of build up to that fight.

Yeah the two companion quests I've done are so low effort, not worth the time in terms on gameplay, reward, or story. I don't get it, Obsidian, Troika, Interplay, that's a long line of RPGs with great writing from Fallout to Deadfire. Deadfire and New Vegas have really cool companion quests that come with back stories, reveals, events, rewards, and perks. It just seems so shallow.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:35 PM, Ommamar said:

One is in the labs in Byzantium. Maybe there's not enough suitable grazing land on any of the colonies. Didn't really see any farming at all apart from the green house in the botanical lab. Everywhere outside of settlements is crawling with bandits and critters.

10 minutes ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

Yeah the two companion quests I've done are so low effort, not worth the time in terms on gameplay, reward, or story. I don't get it, Obsidian, Troika, Interplay, that's a long line of RPGs with great writing from Fallout to Deadfire. Deadfire and New Vegas have really cool companion quests that come with back stories, reveals, events, rewards, and perks. It just seems so shallow.

One is in the labs in Byzantium. Maybe there's not enough suitable grazing land on any of the colonies. Didn't really see any farming at all apart from the green house in the botanical lab. Everywhere outside of settlements is crawling with bandits and critters.

Which is why the work of the Öls Lady at the botânical lab was so remarcable: she accomplished something amazing, against the odds. The Board or one of the companies should have  invested on her, instead none knows About ir, Even the leader of the old , nearby Town, Edgewater. Sophie Even Wants the Captain to obliterate the  City, killing everione, because of the famine in fully ignoring that she had found the Solution.  I was frustrated because I have Given the Control of Edgewater to the old Lady, But had no was to convince Sophie to See what she had done. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

I was watching a stream and saw that there is one on Monarch down in a area by the bridge near Cascadia.  It did bring up another interesting not making sense in that it is laying in a pile of haze happily grazing as where the ones in the lab you mentioned and the ones that appear on the ship.  Just where does this hay come from? Are these odd space cows able to teleport it to them somehow?

• 9 months later...
On 12/30/2019 at 9:18 PM, AwesomeOcelot said:

I'd agree on the shallowness of the companion quests. I know players really love Parvarti, but her main quest felt like the writers were just being self-indulgent (and didn't care as much about player choices vs. relating their own experiences).

• 2 months later...

It was the best birthday present Ive had in years. Outer worlds is founded on such brilliant satire that even just that fact alone explains the numerous inconsistencies, to me anyway! I haven't laughed ridiculously this much for a long time playing an FPS RPG, the creators were so accurate with the digs at corporate absurdity, gender biased posturing and of course classic, abject stupidity!

Fkn red tape!!!!!!

An 'alternate' reality where all of humankind's factual information to date is easily and freely available to all (who aren't too lazy to learn how to access and discern it properly) yet even in 'The Future'.....willful ignorance persists.

The game is a bloody work of art, and I can easily forgive the way they rounded off many aspects of modern gaming to make it flow easier for all. I'm into all kinds of story driven sci-fi games, and other media - and O.W. is pretty damn cool. No insult intended to anyone who doesn't get the ever-present black humor within the game, but its all fully understandable in the wake of modern, absurd, culture-bereft society. Since all references are currently at our fingertips. The Internet is worse than useless to any who do not comprehend the importance of discernment. Obsidian clearly didn't want to get too obviously insulting, but I sure as hell get what they are poking fun at! Its comedy like this that helps people like myself stay sane in today's Cl.Fk. of a world. (Apparently we are living in the 'Golden age of information')

Hey....just doing my own personal rant. For kicks. Its all in good fun. Gotta release the hate in order to love the enjoyment. (blah blah blah...) thanks for reading 🤣

• 3 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 11:35 PM, Ommamar said:

There are woolly cows in DLC2. Even drunk woolly cows.