Here’s the thing, whenever I see these hardcore game modes, I really like some aspects of them and am annoyed by others. I think many people feel that way. Problem is, we probably don’t agree which parts we like and which we don’t. For me, I like the no manual saves outside the ship part, I like companion permadeath, I like the fast travel restriction and the only heal injuries by sleeping in a bed thing. I could do without only sleep on your ship, being forced to take flaws, and I loathe the eating and drinking bit. I just don’t see how that’s adding anything interesting to my game or even makes it harder. It just means I have to pointlessly open my inventory at random intervals and click on certain items. I always think, if this is done at all (and I feel it only fits in a primarily survival focused game), it should be that as long as you’re carrying rations you’re just consuming them automatically and not have to constantly monitor a meter and tell your character to eat. I mean, why not have me go take a dump while we’re at it, for “realism.” Who enjoys role-playing their character’s bodily functions?

Anyway. I’m sure others disagree with me, which brings me to this. Instead of taking out some options or making certain aspects of it easier, which really defeats the purpose, why not let us pick and choose which parts we want and which we don’t. We could customize exactly how difficult  or “realistic” we want our game to be and nobody would have to complain that this or that part is too annoying or frustrating. There could still be the supernova game mode which switches all options on and which you could play for bragging rights and an achievement, perhaps.

Edited by mumbogumshoe
  • Thanks 2

im completely with you!

*Gameplay and Hud (and map) Customization*

as for TOW, as i keep playing and realizing what it is and is not (nothing like NV and more like mass effect minus bioware adolescence) it becomes especially obvious due to its unique style that such customization is badly needed

for example:  i love that sleep/food/drink have in-game mechanics, but, in TOW it just doesnt work very well (i do reserve judgment until my second run with very severe self-imposed restrictions)

as ive said before, Thief4 did a very good job of gameplay customization

Edited by thearmourofGod
  • Thanks 1

I've reached level 18 on Supernova, using a Companion build, and they rarely die, which is often a big complaint about the difficulty. I could probably grind through this, but I have to say even though the combat is going well, I coming close to dialing it back to hard. Simple reason: the sleeping thing. I can't sleep anywhere but my ship, and on Monarch this is starting to turn into a slog, walking back where I left off every time, even with the roads cleared of enemies. They really need to allow you to sleep in other beds, even if you have to pay a bunch of money to rent them.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Basher SBC said:

I've reached level 18 on Supernova, using a Companion build, and they rarely die, which is often a big complaint about the difficulty. I could probably grind through this, but I have to say even though the combat is going well, I coming close to dialing it back to hard. Simple reason: the sleeping thing. I can't sleep anywhere but my ship, and on Monarch this is starting to turn into a slog, walking back where I left off every time, even with the roads cleared of enemies. They really need to allow you to sleep in other beds, even if you have to pay a bunch of money to rent them.

im not there yet and ill grind through regardless, but, if thats the case then yep thats a bigtime poor dev decision, imo

really like the sleep/food/water mechanics, but, it seems theres nothing one can do but slog it due to the weak and sloppy sleeping restriction

The realm wise and realistic : Space tech, ship with life support, robot, sensors... and no possibility to set up camp in the wild with companion on lookout? With 3 guys, everyone sleeps 2/3 of a whole party total rest time, 1 lookout 2 sleepers. SAM does't sleep, he. 
Even a Stalker dares to use his sleep bag  in an anomaly zone.

I think TOW needs a world clock and a reworked drugs system accordingly (for a special difficulty). Amphetamines give you almost a day extra, but require longer restoration and high quality food.
The world clock opens new interesting mechanics field; Different planets have different climate and moon(s) cycles and may have its own kind of atmosphere and radiation. The surroundings' conditions can vary, f.e. all bio timers slow down, but computing, electronics, robotics run and degrade  faster; in very thick atmosphere the projectiles fly differently, but some damage types react with air differently;  Some attributes increase during 1st moon, some decrease at second moon, in a  short period of two suns occurs temporal acceleration.