New Obsidian IP Announcement at X019

5 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

It, like many survival games, seems to be well suited for single player, so I don't see the need for a co-op experience. 

Honestly mosy of these survival games have quite a few rpg elements in them. Conan Exiles is a fantastic single player experience with levels, quests, etc all tied into a survival crafting experience. Subnautica has an amazing engaging world and story with excellent progression aspects. The Forest is scary and atmospheric. You might want to give one a try, they are all good solo games.

I've heard good things about Subnautica, might check that out. It's just not a style of game that attracts me much, but we'll see!

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

10 hours ago, C2B said:

They're not. There's still a team working on it. According to a journalist there were multiple teams working at the company.

- Grounded by Adamn Brennecke

- Unannounced (most likely by Brandon Adler)

- Unannounced (by Chris Parker)

- Outer Worlds team (working on patches, dlc and possibly looking at OW2)

- Sawyer's Project

I'm mostly looking forward to Sawyer's project, and whatever AAA enthusiast rpg they end up putting out.

Grounded reminds of of those small creative side-projects that Insomniac has been doing for a few years. Not the studios staple, but good side-work for people to build up their skills and lead something they are passionate about. It seems instead of cancelling games that aren't getting off the ground, they cut it at the vertical slice and release are small "gamella" to test interest.

15 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Depends on what one means by "developing." For me, if there's someone thinking about how to do a game and putting together ideas for the game, it's in development. It doesn't have to be that programming has begun. And Tim Cain in a recent interview said they were indeed doing this for a sequel game and essentially all but confirmed there will be a TOW2. Beginning this sort of early pre-planning for a sequel before the first game is released is actually quite common, and was the case for PoE2 as well.

They are definitely pre-planning it while working on support for the game and creating the DLC(s). However it might take some time before they can get the production into full gear with all the different projects being worked at the company. The AAA cRPG will eat away a lot of resources at the company for a while and The Outer Worlds isn't a small game either when it comes to manpower needed to make such a game. So fully staff the sequel team, that is going to take some time, but I don't think the sequel will suffer if Cain&Boyarsky and some of the leads take a moment and see the feedback and think it through where they want to take the franchise. As always on a bigger game, some people will be hired specifically to work on the project and let go after the game (or their part in making it) is finished. So they can certainly beef up the team by hiring as well.

At least based on the Eurogamer (?) interview Feargus and the studio is still kinda pondering where they want to settle with the number of people at the company and number of projects they will have. Having two bigger games in full production would eat a lot of their manpower if they stay at around 185.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

15 hours ago, algroth said:

I've heard good things about Subnautica, might check that out. It's just not a style of game that attracts me much, but we'll see!

Subnautica is awesome, and take it from someone who does not like survival games as you mentioned. Also its pure single player (IIRC)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I’m really looking forward to this. I’ve played Ark and it scared the #### outta me. Sorry, but was way too scary, carnivores are a no no. This how ever, is something I can handle as it’s the familiar. From what I’ve seen it oozes fun, adventure, crafting and story. And Obsidian didn’t do a bad job of TOW so I have faith in this game too. 

That wasn't what I was expecting, but I will probably end up giving it a try.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 11/15/2019 at 11:17 PM, algroth said:

It's already been said, but just to second this: I'm not a fan of survival games, but Subnautica is absolutely sublime.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 9:24 PM, Hurlshot said:

If this is anything like Subnautica, I will be thrilled. I've enjoyed a bunch of the survival building games, so I'm looking forward to it. Kid-friendly Conan Exiles?

Do you guys really only play pure RPG's?

I know I'm late, but it's not specifically that I only play RPGs, but rather that survival games don't greatly appeal to me. I've played The Forest with friends when it was in Early Access and it was a fun experience, but I haven't really booted it up since then. However, again, it's no biggie, Obsidian's developers are probably gonna do better work and be happier people if they aren't chained to their desk with the expectation that they have to make RPGS ALL THE TIME.

• Like 1

I just hope the game gets more polish before it hits. Things like Animations etc. 

What worries me is because Obsidian is now under MS, gamers will be much more critical. Don't get me wrong. That shouldn't be the case. But gamers and reviewers will expect a certain level of polish in visuals, animation, etc on top of great gameplay. 

When you look at smaller projects like Journey on Playstation. It still had a very very high presentation value. 

Bleeding Edge for example is a side project with a small team from Ninja Theory. Seeing that recently it has a very high production value to go along with artstyle. 

Survival games aren't really my thing. But I love Obsidian. And I can just see critics being overly harsh because Obsidian are now First Party. And people will expect a certain level of polish when a game is made with MS/Sony money. 

Hm. Like others have already said this doesn't look like my type of thing (looks a bit too geared to younger crowds+I'm burned out on survival aspects anyway) but at the same time, I'm glad they're working and have something to do, so to speak. Branching out and trying new directions to have more broad appeal isn't always a bad thing imo. As long as they occasionally still put out a game I would maybe be interested in, it's all good/I'll buy those. No one has to make my "type" of game, all the time.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To be honest I was really disappointed at first but considering its a project from a small team and the majority of Obsidian is cooking something else.

We recently have The Outer Worlds so Obsidian has done their job till next whole year.

As the game is coming to game pass so I'll try it at least. 

• Like 1

It's like waiting for a Tarantino movie that is childish and humorous ... It's not my style. No Obsidian fan really can like this. Horrible news. As with Ninja Theory, you go to the extreme of what people who follow you like. And not. That's not how things are done ... People want an Outer Worlds ... A Fallout Vegas ... It's very ugly, a very crushed genre on top ... And boring. The worst news. But you don't care ... Our opinion, for sure.

3 hours ago, Xikipeke said:

It's like waiting for a Tarantino movie that is childish and humorous ... It's not my style. No Obsidian fan really can like this. Horrible news. As with Ninja Theory, you go to the extreme of what people who follow you like. And not. That's not how things are done ... People want an Outer Worlds ... A Fallout Vegas ... It's very ugly, a very crushed genre on top ... And boring. The worst news. But you don't care ... Our opinion, for sure.

I really like that you speak for the whole fandom when expressing your own disappointment. Some of us tend to play other games as well and not just crpgs. I for one had really good time playing Armored Warfare and I expect I will enjoy Grounded as well.

• Like 2

Hate the living, love the dead.