New Obsidian IP Announcement at X019

14 minutes ago, Jozape said:

No need to worry yet. This game was in development before the Microsoft acquisition. And it is just one little team working on this.

I'm actually not worried.  Just that certain people will latch onto this as... Wait a minute

14 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yup Microsoft just ripped the soul right out of Obsidian.

There we go

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Gasp! 1

Note guys, that after they showed this, either Sawyer or the other guy with him said (paraphrasing) "We're working on RPGs." The s after G being a key point, of course. Besides that though, I don't see much of a market for Grounded in any real capacity.

I think that it's quite apparent, though, that with the X019 presentation around Wasteland 3, an isometric [tactical] RPG, with Microsoft's backing, Obsidian's marketing propensity has skyrocketed. Now, any isometric game that Obsidian makes should have a significant amount of potent marketing around it, an apparent problem with Deadfire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

I'm actually not worried.  Just that certain people will latch onto this as... Wait a minute

There we go

Some critical thinking for people who'd come to this conclusion, devoid of research, should quickly lead them towards the realization that Outer Worlds also came out after the acquisition. Not that I'm a big fan of it, personally, but most people seem to be, and not that we can exactly count on people's proclivity towards critical thinking in general.

11 minutes ago, Jill7894 said:

Some critical thinking for people who'd come to this conclusion, devoid of research, should quickly lead them towards the realization that Outer Worlds also came out after the acquisition.

And a bit more critical thinking would reveal that there is no Microsoft logo around the game, as its developed via pre-acquisition deal with 2K’s Private Division.

not that I want to join the crowd of doomsayers. 

8 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

And a bit more critical thinking would reveal that there is no Microsoft logo around the game, as its developed via pre-acquisition deal with 2K’s Private Division.

not that I want to join the crowd of doomsayers. 

Exactly. I'm quite optimistic about the acquisition.

Edited by Jill7894

This appears to be a game they wanted to make, so I'll give it a chance. Reminds me a bit of Dungeon Siege 3, which was fun.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 hour ago, Jill7894 said:

Note guys, that after they showed this, either Sawyer or the other guy with him said (paraphrasing) "We're working on RPGs." The s after G being a key point, of course.

Exactly what I've been saying. If I were a betting man I would bet they have at least three RPG projects currently in some stage of development: TOW2 from the Cain/Boyarsky team, a spinoff game using the Pillars franchise (but not PoE3) (maybe with Adler as lead?), and Sawyer's Project Missouri.

• Thanks 1

Didn't he say "We are making RPGs" which would then be interpreted as "You know us, usually we are developing RPGs, but this time...". So I wouldn't read too much into something vague that somebody said on stage. 

But of course they are working on RPGs!

Charles-Montgomery-Burns--007.jpg?width=

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

8 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yup Microsoft just ripped the soul right out of Obsidian.

Hear hear! Am I supposed to to accept that a gaming company might make a game I'm not interested in after I have put in the effort to post on their forums?! Never! That's not what the internet is for! I demand Obsidian to only make games that I like. 

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

6 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Exactly what I've been saying. If I were a betting man I would bet they have at least three RPG projects currently in some stage of development: TOW2 from the Cain/Boyarsky team, a spinoff game using the Pillars franchise (but not PoE3) (maybe with Adler as lead?), and Sawyer's Project Missouri.

The Outer Worlds DLC (I have seen at least two mentions about this from Obsidian employees on social media, one just yesterday).

Chris Parker's project (On Usgamer or Eurogamer it's confirmed that he is leading a project)

Brandon Adler's project (He is working as a game director according to LinkedIn as of quite recently, might or might not be Project Missouri)

Project Missouri aka Sawyer's game

Matthew Perez's project (He has been marked as a Game Director on LinkedIn since January this year. Again might be the same project as Parker's project)

I don't think we will be starved to death by lack of crpgs from the company. And honesty, after working for almost a decade on Pillars franchise Brennecke and his thirteen (Forsakens) really deserve to work on something they feel passionate about without Internet losing it's mind based on a ****ing trailer. The interviews by Adam and Roby at least make the game sound interesting, rather than it just being just another survival game.

• Like 2

Hate the living, love the dead.

It's not the game for me, but I think it's healthy for a company to let their employees pursue their passion projects and branch off in different directions. If you, like me, don't have much interest in another survival game, see it like this: this is a team that is learning important, interesting know-how on Unreal Engine 4 they might not have if they had just spent time working on an Outer Worlds sequel and worked out on all the shooty stuff, design know-how that might apply to future RPGs, and is flexing creative muscles that usually don't find much space in the genres and kind of stories that RPGs tell.

Besides, the recent interviews they've given confirm that Obsidian's also working on other projects (that was obvious enough, given this game has a team of 13 people and Obsidian has more than 10 times the number of people) and that they're RPGs. Nothing to worry about the future of the company in the sense of them suddenly pivoting away from the genre. Now, will Obsidian's corporate culture be negatively affected by Microsoft's acquisition? Will Feargus Urquhart be more involved on a day-to-day level and perhaps directing RPGs again be a good or a bad thing? Who knows, I can't predict the future, but a lot of the doomsaying is based on wrong assumptions about certain things. I'm not saying to give this game a chance because I'm not part of Obsidian's marketing department and quite frankly I'm not super-interested in either, just saying that it doesn't warrant huge reactions yet. Not that I'll be able to stop them, lmao.

Also, source on Obsidian having other projects in the works and Feargus wanting to go back to directing: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-14-visiting-obsidian-post-acquisition-to-see-what-has-changed

5 hours ago, Flouride said:

The Outer Worlds DLC (I have seen at least two mentions about this from Obsidian employees on social media, one just yesterday).

Chris Parker's project (On Usgamer or Eurogamer it's confirmed that he is leading a project)

Brandon Adler's project (He is working as a game director according to LinkedIn as of quite recently, might or might not be Project Missouri)

Project Missouri aka Sawyer's game

Matthew Perez's project (He has been marked as a Game Director on LinkedIn since January this year. Again might be the same project as Parker's project)

I don't think we will be starved to death by lack of crpgs from the company. And honesty, after working for almost a decade on Pillars franchise Brennecke and his thirteen (Forsakens) really deserve to work on something they feel passionate about without Internet losing it's mind based on a ****ing trailer. The interviews by Adam and Roby at least make the game sound interesting, rather than it just being just another survival game.

Oh yes I forgot about Parker's project.

Agree 100%! I would also suggest that the entire cRPG genre may go the way of the dinosaurs if we don't get more young gamers interested in and comfortable with playing RPGs. This new game seems a perfect way to introduce RPGs to young gamers, and I applaud Obsidian's brilliant long-term strategy here.

Can't wait to see what Parker, Perez, Adler and Sawyer have in store for us.

11 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Doubt that they're already developing The Outer Worlds 2, being that it's been only three weeks since the release of the first game. Is it being considered though? I would reckon so.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

37 minutes ago, algroth said:

Doubt that they're already developing The Outer Worlds 2, being that it's been only three weeks since the release of the first game. Is it being considered though? I would reckon so.

They're not. There's still a team working on it. According to a journalist there were multiple teams working at the company.

- Grounded by Adamn Brennecke

- Unannounced (most likely by Brandon Adler)

- Unannounced (by Chris Parker)

- Outer Worlds team (working on patches, dlc and possibly looking at OW2)

- Sawyer's Project

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, algroth said:

Depends on what one means by "developing." For me, if there's someone thinking about how to do a game and putting together ideas for the game, it's in development. It doesn't have to be that programming has begun. And Tim Cain in a recent interview said they were indeed doing this for a sequel game and essentially all but confirmed there will be a TOW2. Beginning this sort of early pre-planning for a sequel before the first game is released is actually quite common, and was the case for PoE2 as well.

3 hours ago, C2B said:

They're not. There's still a team working on it. According to a journalist there were multiple teams working at the company.

- Grounded by Adamn Brennecke

- Unannounced (most likely by Brandon Adler)

- Unannounced (by Chris Parker)

- Outer Worlds team (working on patches, dlc and possibly looking at OW2)

- Sawyer's Project

Just to point out, Grounded is likely codenamed "Maine".  That skips over three states since The Outer Worlds (Indiana).

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Do you guys really only play pure RPG's?

I think it's more that a lot of people, myself included, set the expectations for the reveal to be another RPG since that is almost exclusively what Obsidian's done before. I don't play survival games nor am I a fan of co-op in general (I tend not to have many friends who are into the same games as I, so it's always either a bit of a wasted feature for me or a struggle or barrier for enjoying a game specifically designed with it in mind), so the fact that it's also a kind of project I wouldn't get much out of regardless is a bit of a disappointment. Had it been something else, like a strategy game or a shooter or a metroidvania or an action/adventure game or whatever, I might have responded differently. Nevertheless, with it being a small project that seems to be worked on in parallel to other bigger and more traditionally "Obsidian" ventures, I certainly don't mind it.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

It, like many survival games, seems to be well suited for single player, so I don't see the need for a co-op experience. 

Honestly mosy of these survival games have quite a few rpg elements in them. Conan Exiles is a fantastic single player experience with levels, quests, etc all tied into a survival crafting experience. Subnautica has an amazing engaging world and story with excellent progression aspects. The Forest is scary and atmospheric. You might want to give one a try, they are all good solo games.