New Obsidian IP Announcement at X019

Given that Obsidian has been operating with roughly three development teams recently based on various interviews, no surprise to me that one of those teams is working on a new IP. I said as much in a post a few months ago. The big question for me is what type of game is this going to be? Specifically, is it going to be an Xbox-only game or for PC as well?

Looks cool and fun but definitely not for me.
I hope it's just a little game to keep the teams busy while larger projects (RPGs) are in development.

• Like 1

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

This is disappointing. Good luck to the devs, and I hope the game makes money. But, I mean, is this meant for fans of Obsidian? Or is it a shift in priority after acquisition by Microsoft? I was hopeful when Obs got picked up, because I read somewhere Microsoft wanted to widen their RPG catalogue. Not sure cartoony, co-op survival game will attract RPG fans. But, I guess time will tell.

• Thanks 1

Yes It's not a game for me, but I don't get all the negativity. As with any business that wants to grow, Obs needs to expand its base both financially and creatively. And nothing here says this project is in lieu of some other project that got shelved to make room for this one. New Obsidian is being very aggressively ambitious, and I for one like that. From the bits and pieces of information from a variety of sources I have been able to put together Obsidian currently has five individuals holding the title of project/game director. And, following the state names system Obs has been using for their game projects it seems that there are five state-named projects currently underway. If so, then what's the big deal of one of those projects being this one? It still leaves at least 2-3 other projects currently being worked on that are likely to be true, classic RPGs in the tradition of Obsidian games.

• Thanks 1

Seems more like a nice little finger exercise in between bigger projects. You can't be doing RPGs all the time without getting bored I presume.

I may be mistaken but it also looks as if the target audience is a bit younger than that of the more "classical" Obsidian games.

However - the funny part was that the "new IP" rumors sparked some hype and then... 😄

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Some positives first:

1) I do like the theme. I loved “Honey, I shrunk the kinds” when I was a wee lad, somI see some appeal here. Even outside the nostalgia, the setting has a lot of potential to do cool and relatable stuff

2) I am not into typecasting devs. I don’t believe that if devs are good in making particular genre of games, this is the only genre they should ever do. Typecasting is a constant problem in any media: be it film, music, writing, gaming. Creatives should be allowed to be creative, and doing things outside the usual wheelhouse can be refreshing for both audiences and makers. How will we get interesting new ideas, if all everyone is allowed to do, is the thing they did well before? I mean one of my favourite studios is Klei, and they rarely do the same thing twice. I could use Invisible Inc2 at some point, though...

that said: I can’t say I am thrilled, nor interested. The obvious problem of branching out is that your usual audience might simply not like the other thing you do. Not to say that I won’t become interested in this game. Supergiant’s Hades is a game in a genre I rarely care about, and it is in sub-genre of this genre which I dislike. Still, it is a Supergiant game through and through, and it convinced me to eventually buy it, and to be honest I enjoy it - there is enough Supergiant in there for me to enjoy. And it also game to me an early impression of “cash grab couple years late to the party”.

Hopefully, it will be the same with this. For now, good luck to the dev team, and I am waiting for what’s next. 

though I must say: between speculation about future of POE series and this, Microsoft acquisition sounds like a difficult thing to shrug off as “things will continue unchanged.”

Edited by Wormerine

Honestly I'm happy to see Obsidian branching out and working on other genres. This is really not for me though, sadly. I was over the whole survival, crafting genre even before it truly kicked off.

That said, I can't fault the style and the quality shown in the trailer, and the fact that it was made by such a small number of people on the team makes it all the more impressive. I will await your next announcement with bated breath. 😄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Theonlygarby said:

The game looks alright... Not my style.  Think it's kind of a bad idea for this to be the first Microsoft obsidian release though...  Kind of adds fuel to the fire if those who worry that Microsoft will change obsidian.

No need to worry yet. This game was in development before the Microsoft acquisition. And it is just one little team working on this.