New Obsidian IP Announcement at X019

33 minutes ago, kirottu said:

Does that mean Obsidian is making new IP with Rare, or both Obsidian and Rare are announcing their own new IPs?

If you look at the tweet thread, he says it's two different new IPs, one from Obsidian and one from Rare.

I guess we'll see tomorrow, though!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Bike simulator! Finally. 

I was thinking it could be a bike-related puzzle game where you have to organize your assorted bike tools on ever-more-challenging peg boards or in small garages.  The higher levels would slowly add in all the weirdo tools necessary to fix vintage Italian bikes.

I guess it would feel a little like Tetris, except that each piece costs $120 and was last produced in the early 1970s.

43 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Ha, the ink isn't even dry for TOW and already announcing a new IP.  Welcome to Microsoft, get crackin' on a Destiny clone with a few dialogue options 😛

You do know those are different team?

According to multiple sources there are three teams working at Obs at the moment. I didn't expect new announcement so soon, but I can't say I am not curious. 

EDIT:Not to mention that ToW is a game from beyond aquisition. It would make sense for Microsoft to reveal what we might expect from the studios they bought up, even if the projects aren't quite near completion. 

Edited by Wormerine

1 hour ago, Zafar1981 said:

or also a launch title of XBOX Scarlet.  

Wouldn't that be poetic

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

6 hours ago, Wormerine said:

You do know those are different team?

According to multiple sources there are three teams working at Obs at the moment. I didn't expect new announcement so soon, but I can't say I am not curious. 

EDIT:Not to mention that ToW is a game from beyond aquisition. It would make sense for Microsoft to reveal what we might expect from the studios they bought up, even if the projects aren't quite near completion. 

Obsidian have also been rather prolific throughout the past five or so years, only failing to deliver a new game in 2017:

• 2014: South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • 2015: Pillars of Eternity
  • 2016: Tyranny
  • 2018: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
  • 2019: The Outer Worlds

Stands to reason that they could be announcing a new game for Q1-Q2 2021 if the frequency of their output remains consistent.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I wonder how long the Microsoft deal was in the works prior to us knowing about it.

We knew they had a handful of games in the works, so either Microsoft is now just championing work they already had going. Something as cancelled. Or a project was made in preparation for the deal being publicly disclosed.

3 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

My guess is they pitched the idea while talking to Microsoft a year ago, got the okay and it's been in pre-production ever since. I don't foresee it being very far along in development.

I know most devs like to announce their IP way too soon (I'm looking at you EITR), but I really don't think Obsidian is going to bail on us like many devs.