Why is PoE2 not successful ?

1 hour ago, ekt0 said:

I stand by my logic. When you are talking about sales number, it must be always referred with time.  A great game has tendency to be sold well as time passes by and the market learns about its presence. The example for this is the Witcher series, as I mentioned earlier.  Some good games, which have never been sold well no matter how long time goes by, are just not good enough for the market.

I do not expect everyone to love this kind of game CRPG, but even within its own domain of RPG players, POE 2 sales number is disappointing. So, when I mention the word "market", I mean the market of the specific game genre, not everyone.

Moreover, as I have said before, you do not need to buy the game first to evaluate the game quality. We have YouTube and Twitch nowadays. I personally had watched Cohh Carnage play POE 1 before I realized its quality and then later bought it myself. I do the same with POE 2. I have watched Cohh's playthrough before buying it, and this time I knew from his reaction during game play that he did not like this game as much as POE 1. Thus, I bought the game anyway, because I was impressed a lot with POE 1.

If you have doubt about how Cohh Carnage loves CRPG or not, I should tell you this first. He likes Obsidian so much that he had backed more than $10,000 on POE 2. He made a deal with Obsidian so that he is the first streamer to be able to stream the game on Twitch, and on the first day of his stream, some developers had stayed in his chat to see if he had any bug trouble or not. So, yes, I strongly believe that his opinion matters.

Last month, I publicly asked him on his stream whether he will give POE 2 another try or not. His answer is "No". He said that the game only barely met his expectation. On the contrary, he said he would play Arcanum, DOS:2, KOTOR 1 and 2 instead. This means that, to him, POE 2 is less interesting than these games.

In conclusion, these days, people will always know if the game quality is good or not before buying it. Everyone can watch a playthrough video series on YouTube or Twitch, read reviews from trustworthy source, listen to mouth to mouth reviews, or look at metacritic score, to see what the game is like. If that is not enough, you can always refund your game after trying it yourself on Steam. Please stop bringing this argument about no one will knows how good the game is if he/she does not buy it.

After 30 hours playing Deadfire, Cohh still liked every second of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopRHgRjlFs&list=PLN39y5i_H0FkkkRl2hhJ4-doVQ1QS-KW3&index=64

He says this at the start of this video.

Edited by wih

6 hours ago, wih said:

After 30 hours playing Deadfire, Cohh still liked every second of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopRHgRjlFs&list=PLN39y5i_H0FkkkRl2hhJ4-doVQ1QS-KW3&index=64

He says this at the start of this video.

He was just being kind. Cohh rarely talks bad about any game except Fall Out 76.

I have watched all of the 135 videos of this series, and I also watch him on Twitch every day. I know his reaction when he utmost enjoys the game for real or if he is just okay with it, and Pillars 2 is of the latter group.

If you want an evidence, keep watching his play until he reached ship combat. At that point, he would start complaining. Or else, you can watch his summary thought video as posted below. He always creates a thought video after he has finished a game.

https://youtu.be/br0-0T8lo9Q?t=331

He even said in his thought video that he would play DLC as soon as it was released. However, in fact, he had only tried 1 hour of it, and never touched POE 2 again since then.

If you think I am wrong about this. You can compare the reaction of his thought video on other games. I recommend you try his thought on Yakuza 0, which is the example of the game that he really had enjoyed, and you will see the difference.

https://youtu.be/Gxh9EVV6J1s

Edited by ekt0

The thing is, Cohh was enhtusiastic enough for Deadfire ("Phenomenal story, phenomenal characters, phenomenal writing, phenomenal etc.") and I think these people who bought PoE1 had some other reason to pass on Deadfire than reading subtle signs and concluding that Cohh probably wasn't blown out of the water by the game.

If players were happy with their PoE1 experience, they would not need any more encouragement to buy Deadfire than what Cohh said about the game. After all, he finished it. He doesn't even finish the games he doesn't like.

Seriously: if that is CohhCarage's way of saying "meh" he should really work on his straightforwardness. 🙃

If anything any potential player who's used to normal interpersonal communication would buy the game even sooner after watching this I'd say? 🤷‍♂️

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 weeks later...

Well, two of my friends didn't buy it simply because of the "2" in the title. When Deadfire was released, they got the first one instead, didn't like it and never bothered to pick up the sequel. Also, it has already been mentioned multiple times, but the change in the setting may have played a not inconsiderable role. I loved the first game, but it took even me a while to warm up to the Pirate/Polynesian theme. I liked the Anglo-Saxon and Welsh-inspired Dyrwood, it's athmosphere, the melancholy soundtrack, so the change was a bit too radical for my taste.

Edited by CrimsonDawn

1 hour ago, CrimsonDawn said:

Well, two of my friends didn't buy it simply because of the "2" in the title. When Deadfire was released, they got the first one instead, didn't like it and never bothered to pick up the sequel. Also, it has already been mentioned multiple times, but the change in the setting may have played a not inconsiderable role. I loved the first game, but it took even me a while to warm up to the Pirate/Polynesian theme. I liked the Anglo-Saxon and Welsh-inspired Dyrwood, it's athmosphere, the melancholy soundtrack, so the change was a bit too radical for my taste.

This happened to one of my friends. I actually tried to warn them away from PoE1 because I thought it was less accessible for them than Deadfire in terms of gameplay (I strongly believe Deadfire is a less murky and more rational system and that is probably a controversial point to some people who prefer Vancian/PoE1 system), but same thing happened - they basically hit a wall getting into PoE1. At least from Obsidian's perspective, they still get money from the PoE1 sales though, even if there's no follow-through.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

Whether you like PoE over Deadfire (me) or the other way round - I think it's absolutely safe to say that Deadfire is more accessible and more rational when it comes to mechanics (even if the inner workings under the hood might be more complicated).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

23 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Whether you like PoE over Deadfire (me) or the other way round - I think it's absolutely safe to say that Deadfire is more accessible and more rational when it comes to mechanics (even if the inner workings under the hood might be a more complicated).

Every time (Suppressed) I feel (Suppressed) like playing (Suppressed) some Pillars 1 (Suppressed), there's (Suppressed) this one (Suppressed) part (Suppressed) of it (Suppressed) that makes (Suppressed) me not.

• Haha 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!