Very confused about Parvoti Quest!

So this is spoiler forum, but I'll still warn that if you are only beginning the game this post may not ruin things for you(though I just understand what happened).

I'm at the point where I've exhausted ever quest except going to Phineas for the main quest and to get a dress for Parvati, which you can't do till find a way  onto Byzantium. I ruined the game a bit form myself in googling to find out where it is so I could complete Parvati's questline and found there are two paths. The one path where you gotta pretend to want to turn in Phineas didn't appeal to me at all as I don't know enough of the story to screw around with subject, so I decided I would just let the game flow as it would have if I hadn't googled. Fair enough...all good.

So I see Phineas, get access to Byzantium...good to go! As mentioned in another forum post about releationships, I could take or leave any other in game, but the one Parvati is good and really want to do right by her. I go into into kitchen on the ship and end up talking to Elli which sets up Byzantium and some discussion about whether to trust Phineas. End the convesration and just about to set off to get Parvati her dress.

Then I get dialog that her quest line has FAILED. What the!!! So I go looking for Parvati on the ship and she nowhere to be found. She gone..who knows where. Then I remember this other way to get on Byzantium.  Load a previous save(just after talking to Phineas) and decide to whip through that, and when landing on Byzantium(and having to go through the whole Elli Schpiel again) I ensure Parvati is there and ad her to my team so she doesn't 'disappear'. Go and talk to the person who wants me kill someone to get their trust(oh hell no), end it with basically I'll think about it(oh hell no do your own killin). Parvati there and can see the marker to her quest. Back on track but by following a very dirty story path to get there, which is not how usually play. At least on a first play through. If a game is good I may play through again being 'bad' for a new experience. But usually don't as games just grip me enough 99% of the time for a second play through.

So my questions is...why does she disappear and the quest fail. Why does it matter which path I follow to get on Byzantium. Will going down slimy quest line cause issues down the road(don't need details).

My intent was get the Phineas and still dig around to decide who to trust and really resent the game forcing me down path I hate just to keep a good character in the game.

Sure...this post is part vent...but the what the heck! I've got these two diametrically opposed quest now. Can ignore the whole 'I want to turn in Phineas and sure I'll earn your trust by killing people' and follow my  original path without issue?  Don't want to google it an ruin things more, but if those that have played through could give me advice or assurances that I haven't screwed things by trying to keep Parvati from dying or whatever happened.

Edited by ElderSpacer
Cause I wanted to edit it...why do you care

24 minutes ago, ElderSpacer said:

I go into into kitchen on the ship and end up talking to Elli which sets up Byzantium and some discussion about whether to trust Phineas. End the convesration and just about to set off to get Parvati her dress.

When SPECIFICALLY did the notification for failing the quest pop up? Was it immediately after talking with Ellie, and did you try to leave your ship when she "disappeared" to see if she was still on the Companion Selection screen? 

I know what story route you're talking about, and neither way of entering Byzantium for me has caused Parvati to disappear. Can you replicate what caused it?  I'm curious about this - it sounds like it might be a bug, or you overlooked something that could potentially have made Parvati leave, but that's pretty hard to do from what I understand. Pretty much nothing short of killing Reed or Junlei will accomplish that. 

There's a well-known bug regarding Parvati's quest, apparently caused by a bug where the game assumes Parvati to be dead. If you can, reload a save from before the quest failed and try again. My understanding is that the trigger for this bug is that if Parvati's climbing a ladder when you engage in conversation, she will continue to climb and will exit the map entirely, causing the game to proclaim her dead at that point. So, keep Parvati away from stairs, keep a backup save, and all should be good. :)

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

GaleWeaver: I got the notification as soon as I was done talking to Ellie. I didn't try and leave the ship to see if she still showed up, though that is great idea I should have tried. I think I was most worried about not being able to finish her quest line, then figured something must be really  wrong that I can't even see her on the ship now anywhere. Had never had a crew member go missing before.

algoroth: Ah...that is interesting. I did continue playing with both access byzantium missions going now and was able to finish Parvati's questline. But I think I have that save where I can go try it again just to see if the issues replicates.

Ok...just loaded that past save, went talked to Ellie about Bynantium, Phineas, Meeting her Parents and when the conversation ended held my breath. No failure notice. When looking for Parvati and she's in the engine room as normal. So maybe she wasn't on a ladder lol. Hope that's fixed in the upcoming patch they are talking about. Will mean replaying about an hour of the game, but think I'll continue from here as this is how I would have played before the bug.

Thanks for the replies!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take a guess and say that at some point, when loading Parvati in or something, it just did it wrong and killed her essentially.

I had her phasing through the Unreliable at one point, half her body was inside the floor. She was alive, but couldn't move anywhere obviously. It's probably a bug encounter if anything, reloading may have just fixed it all up. May be hard to recreate but let everyone know!!