My early impression having just bought the game

I was looking forward to Outer Worlds. I’ve played a couple of Obsidian games in the past and I’ve never forget how my friend eulogised over New Vegas, how open ended it was, you could do almost anything, kill anybody to achieve your own goals. 

So far, I’ve only really played a hour or two. I’m on the first planet. Playing on Supernova. Just trying to work out where to get a drink from as I’m dehydrating a bit. Just managed to find a bed on my ship in the cargo hold so could save my game. 

My objective is to go to the nearby town, I forget what it’s called. 
Im just mucking about at the mo testing the AI and combat, and I have to say first chinck in the armour! 
The combat is just kinda meh. The AI is pretty dumb, they seem only able to spot you from no further than 10ft. 

And the worst offence? Enemies appear ‘tethered’ to their spawn location...... NOOOOOOOO!

I really hate that in games!

What that means is you run from the enemy about 20-30ft and they will then run back to their spawn location, regardless whether youre shooting them or what..... And forget all about you.

Which really makes combat feel one dimensional and often rote. 

Not a great start too be honest. 

Edited by LaMOi

10 hours ago, Omgilovesteak said:

Oh yeah. i hate that crap where an enemy runs back to where they were at full health haha. And it isnt even very far you have to go b4 they do that  :(

I hate it too — nothing more immersion breaking.

Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn are recent games that had that and it really impacted gameplay....

Bethesda games have there problems but the worlds feel dynamic and gameplay is filled with emergent moments.

They just don’t have the same level of well designed dialog choices or consequences. 

But this is my issue with TOW’s so far, if every else in the game is just kinda average , then what’s the point? Why not make a Telltale game? 

Edited by LaMOi

folks, with exactly 2 posts (one not on this game forum) to their credit, @pyrimides clearly does NOT have any investment or interest in Obsidian (or Bethesda) designed games.

Because it appears that @pyrimides  might not even be a Bethesda or Obsidian fan boi given the fact their only other post was back in 2010.  Asking for tech support to troubleshoot how to play totally different game genre on a PC.....🤣

Ppl please, ignore this poster's flame bait. Don't feed this forum troll

Edited by VaultBoi2077

28 minutes ago, VaultBoi2077 said:

folks, with exactly 2 posts (one not on this game forum) to their credit, @pyrimides clearly does NOT have any investment or interest in Obsidian (or Bethesda) designed games.

Because it appears that @pyrimides  might not even be a Bethesda or Obsidian fan boi given the fact their only other post was back in 2010.  Asking for tech support to troubleshoot how to play totally different game genre on a PC.....🤣

Ppl please, ignore this poster's flame bait. Don't feed this forum troll

Please let's not go down this rabbit hole. This board isn't intended exclusively for Obsidian fans or exclusively for praise for that matter. You may choose to disagree with or disregard another poster's opinions, but let's not assume that the poster *has* to like Obsidian or any of their game to be part of the community - and please for the love of Josh don't start hounding people off the boards for the same.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm not "hounding anyone off" or being partisan about anything. Bottom line is that poster has never really committed themselves to playing this game ---let alone a Bethesda one -- for any meaningful comparison. So their subjective post (to which they're completely entitled) is based on unsubstantiated ignorance, deliberately trolling, or combination of both.

What that forum member has done with their post is equivalent to the trolling drivel that you'll encounter on Bethesda's official forum for F76. A decisively split fan base contending over the future of the franchise being an online MMO v. traditional offline single player.  And that level of dissention has only become worse in further splitting the pro MMO faction with the introduction of private servers.  But at least the warring parties on Bethesda's site actually have a legitimate basis for criticizing the franchise games. Unlike forum members who've never really cared enough to play the game, and/or post inaccurate feedback about a game/franchise they don't care about. 

Edited by VaultBoi2077

so, this mechanic keeps getting brought up and ridiculed

im no developer, but, in a hub-style game with enemies that are located as close together as they are in TOW it makes sense to me

sure, they could increase the radius by a few more feet, but, having the idiot bethesda oblivion enemy queue is much worse and enemy fighting enemy isnt a mechanic of this game

in essence, i see it as complaining about fluff and similiar to the “no romance” and “no third-person” whining

purposeful dev decision-making

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 1:39 PM, Emt-Fields said:

The combat isn't the best in this game, it's functional at the very least. The real enjoyment comes from the characters, dialogue, and story.

Exactly, as it was in Fallout games.  The sooner people realize this the better.  I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary with the AI.  They certainly do follow/chase me around but I haven't measured the distance that they stop and turn around either.   The story and characters are what make TOW's, the gameplay mechanics take a backseat to that.

• Thanks 1

I had one marauder chase me 50m and then stop and run back to his spawn point, bend down inspecting the ground (which was his original behaviour)... Like nothing had ever happened.

it just takes you out of the experience is all. It sucks. 
it is what it is....

but the game is good in other areas... namely the dialog. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 7:48 AM, pyramides said:

I have uninstalled this because quite simply it bored me to death.

Appreciate the honesty. Doesn't seem the game to initiate a PC upgrade, but to be picked up down the road. Can see my self still playing New Vegas after it all, anyway.

I can see where some parts are boring, and I feel like the music could be a little more energetic (though the music is good for the most part), but I still found myself going back to it every time to finish. And I most likely will do a complete 2nd play through since there's an obvious 2nd path you can take in the game. Not sure if I'll play much after that though until any DLC is released.

I will say it gets better. The beginning part does seem a little lackluster. But if you don't like reading the terminal entries, you may be missing part of the world building of this game and humor.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:57 PM, VaultBoi2077 said:

I'm not "hounding anyone off" or being partisan about anything. Bottom line is that poster has never really committed themselves to playing this game ---let alone a Bethesda one -- for any meaningful comparison. So their subjective post (to which they're completely entitled) is based on unsubstantiated ignorance, deliberately trolling, or combination of both.

What that forum member has done with their post is equivalent to the trolling drivel that you'll encounter on Bethesda's official forum for F76. A decisively split fan base contending over the future of the franchise being an online MMO v. traditional offline single player.  And that level of dissention has only become worse in further splitting the pro MMO faction with the introduction of private servers.  But at least the warring parties on Bethesda's site actually have a legitimate basis for criticizing the franchise games. Unlike forum members who've never really cared enough to play the game, and/or post inaccurate feedback about a game/franchise they don't care about. 

It’s my early impressions — it’s not a full critique.

You think I’m a troll? Lol. 

You need to get out more pal.

everything I’ve said in my initial feedback is facts.

The combat whilst not bad, is average. The AI vision radius is very short, it spots you no further than around 15-20ft (I’m being generous) and I have tested it. I could do a video if you want proof.

and the AI Is rubber-banded to their spawn location, which I really don’t like in games.
Too be fair, other games have this as well e.g Witcher 3.
It just breaks immersion and just makes things feel arcadey/gamey rather than a dynamic world. 

I was hardly saying the game is crap, I just stated my opinion that it doesn’t start too promisingly in the gameplay department .....

Edited by LaMOi

2 hours ago, LaMOi said:

The combat whilst not bad, is average. The AI vision radius is very short, it spots you no further than around 15-20ft (I’m being generous) and I have tested it. I could do a video if you want proof.

and the AI Is rubber-banded to their spawn location, which I really don’t like in games.
It just breaks immersion and just makes things feel arcadey/gamey rather than a dynamic world. 

I was hardly saying the game is crap, I just stated my opinion that it doesn’t start too promisingly in the gameplay department .....

Crossed wires, my friend. VaultBoi2077 was referring to pyramides, not you. :)

10 hours ago, LaMOi said:

Reading comprehension isn't exactly your strongest suit is it? 🤣

The need to

1. insert oneself in a reply to a conversation which does not refer to them,  and then

2. try to begin a side bar argument using a completely unsubstantiated personal attack

completely reeks of narcissism.

Edited by VaultBoi2077

On 11/18/2019 at 9:56 PM, VaultBoi2077 said:

Reading comprehension isn't exactly your strongest suit is it? 🤣

The need to

1. insert oneself in a reply to a conversation which does not refer to them,  and then

2. try to begin a side bar argument using a completely unsubstantiated personal attack

completely reeks of narcissism.

Mmm nah probably overall lack of real interest in reading the thread properly. 

my bad.

folks — did this game not sell well? This forum is really dead! You get about 5 posts a day?? 

It's great. I thought some of the play mechanics were a little outdated, like the camouflage areas, which just seemed off to me. I'd rather it be something you could do all the time, but it would drain your energy.

I didn't buy into the Board storyline. Sophia didn't work as a character for me. Just too one dimensional. I LOVED the chairman though. Especially the scene where he was doing the camera takes. Would have liked it better if you only saw Sophia on the vid screen and never in person. They should have hired an actor from Odeon to play the Adjutant to keep the masses in line! 

• Thanks 1