[Quest Spoilers] By His Bootstraps, Distress Signal, and Anton Crane

So, I was doing my 2nd run a while back, trying to get in good with as many factions as possible, and was doing the distress signal quest. The first time I did it, I didn't think too much of it because I was RPing as a completely amoral mercenary. It was basically "hey your colleague, Jameson is dead, give me some cash. Also I sold your research to a black market fence in the Groundbreaker okaaaay byeeeee". This time around though, I had a lot more to say to him regarding the way he treats his colleagues and is so self obsessed. I passed a few persuasion checks on the matter - was trying to give him more of a "tough love" approach, maybe get him to rethink his values and priorities. Quest gets finished, I start heading towards the door to leave, and suddenly hear a loud gun shot from behind me. I ALMOST ignored it, but put 2 and 2 together and went back in the lab to find Anton shot himself and was dead.

All I have to say is just: BRUUUUUUUUUH. 

Looking forward to trying to save Jameson this time around, as the quest journal synopsis seemed to indicate he only died because I ran off to do other stuff first instead of bee lining for him. 

Also feel free to share and talk about your experiences with this quest and it's outcomes or just in general any quest(s) that stand out to you guys a lot. 

If you want to save Jameson you have to go rescue him immediatly after getting the quest from Anton. If you do other quests before you'll find him dead.

Gladys will give you the NavKey for free only if you give her all three pieces of intel from Roseway, but this way you'll fail Orson's quest and miss an unique item later on. So I think the best thing to do is not giving her any intel and buy or steal the key instead.

37 minutes ago, Zavijava said:

If you want to save Jameson you have to go rescue him immediatly after getting the quest from Anton.

Yeah, I kinda figured. 

37 minutes ago, Zavijava said:

Gladys will give you the NavKey for free only if you give her all three pieces of intel from Roseway, but this way you'll fail Orson's quest and miss an unique item later on. So I think the best thing to do is not giving her any intel and buy or steal the key instead.

I don't even bother with the Navkey most times. Landing on Cascadia at low levels and hauling ass while Mantisaurs and Raptidons try to eat me is way more fun. I made it to Stellar Bay at level 8 before, pretty sure I could do it even lower, too. Just don't fight the mantisaurs at that level, it's like fighting deathclaws in the beginning of New Vegas.