Suggestion for Retcon.. Romance Solved!

Hi

Like many players that I have seen around the internet.. I was pretty bummed when I found out no romance for the main character.. but then.. ADA said something..

She said a 'wife like thing' .. do not disturb my sleeping cycle upon your return.. like.. don't wake me up when you get back in.. that's something your wife would say..

So that got me thinking.. even as a retcon; is Ada our wife and that's why we can't have relationships? because we are already married?

ADA mourns Alex like he is her former husband.. could it be in this world  'a captain is married to their ship' ?..  and due to ADA being sentient this means our character is *actually* married to ADA.. 'actually' is a bit strong.. but they would have a 'special relationship' so much so.. ADA would get jealous, and I think she already expressed this when Ellie first came on board iirc

Just a thought that made me feel better about the no romance.. :)

super easy to retcon.

Dava

We can't have romances, because romances take time and manpower, and companions are on basic side as it is.

ADA isn't a conscious being. That's been stated multiple times. She emulates personality but she is a computer. Previous captain developed her personality so it's a bit as if you were to program Ciri on how she interacts with you. She just continues her behaviour. If you want to roleplay a character who takes it as a serious relationship, then knock yourself out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

We can't have romances, because romances take time and manpower, and companions are on basic side as it is.

ADA isn't a conscious being. That's been stated multiple times. She emulates personality but she is a computer. Previous captain developed her personality so it's a bit as if you were to program Ciri on how she interacts with you. She just continues her behaviour. If you want to roleplay a character who takes it as a serious relationship, then knock yourself out.

True but then the first time pravati gets on the ship and ada talks she clearly states that ada is actually speaking and not emulating. Just something to think about

3 hours ago, Osculim said:

True but then the first time pravati gets on the ship and ada talks she clearly states that ada is actually speaking and not emulating. Just something to think about

And gets corrected by Ada if I remember well. 

either way it doesn’t matter. You roleplay the way you want to roleplay. If “Her” is your jam, then go for it.

12 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

And gets corrected by Ada if I remember well. 

either way it doesn’t matter. You roleplay the way you want to roleplay. If “Her” is your jam, then go for it.

I don't mind the lack of romance options, but just on the subject of ADA's awareness...

Trigger some of the off-ship dialogue between Parvati and Nyoka as Parvati tells Nyoka that ADA is something "more"; the original Hawthorne then having some hand in that.

It feels more like ADA is lying and trying to hide that she is actually an AI, even some bits of dialogue with her directly appears to allude to that.

I could see this end up being something expanded upon in a DLC and finding out some of what was done.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, xSean said:

I could see this end up being something expanded upon in a DLC and finding out some of what was done.

I will give you that. It did expect to receive a sidequest when I talked to ADA about her modifications. Considering Obsidian ikes to leave hooks in the game for later DLC it is not outside bounds of possibility.

This (romance) thing might have been a dodge guys..

I mean.. does anyone remember the Veronica + dress thing? (FONV)

I was days in real life iirc.. 3 days I think in real life trying to get her a dress thinking it would romance her.. to find out she was gay O_O 

Making the main character 'married' to ADA enables the Devs to 'skip the fence' on the whole thing.. it's obvious that *if* given ADA is sentient.. it's obvious that A.I. are painfully shy about emotions, let alone sexuality.

I imaged a scene.. once a week on the same day you get a dialogue option.. in her entertainment option.. she asks 'You seem stressed Captain, would you enjoy some relaxation?'.. the player can answer 'hmm' or 'uugmm' .. if 'hmm' is selected the screen goes black and we switch to outside the room door where the rest of the crew are huddled around the door trying to listen, wondering what's going on and commenting..'it's been 3 hours.. what are they doing in there??'.. the door opens and our character emerges somewhat disheveled and each crew member starts walking away not making eye contact, looking at the ground.. clearing their throats 'Captain.'

The game is rated 17+ so.. it's not for little kids. It's already taking very strong themes of Imperialism/corporate fascism.. so again not for little kids.  Aya from The Green Lantern Animated Series.. was very tastefully done.. but here we have more comedic tones hence the scene above.

I totally agree, I also expected a side quest about her modifications, due to the hooks.
For ADA I also feel this should be part of a DLC or AOC (Add On-Content).. maybe even her own little AOC..?.. or maybe even her own DLC?

-------------

What I'm saying is.. its a pretty solid trope for OB to just to keep going.. Captains are married to their ship.. and I mean this as an on-going theme.. in FO.. you get a Vault.. TOW you get a ship (Hope).. going forward as as an idea in TOW2.. due to ADA being the first sentient A.I. that we know of.

*(although I haven't completed my playthrough yet but dialogue options are exhausted with ADA)..

ADA 1. criticizes your hygiene 2. pokes fun at your friends. 'Nyoka is drunk again. surprise!'  3. says 'warm' things for a A.I. like 'be safe'..or 'be careful. I require a Captain to operate' meaning she is saying in her own way she needs you. 4 She seems submissive. Telling you she must comply with all your orders.. for an A.I. that might be considered flirting? Although I admit the vocal tone isn't flirty sounding.  5. she has a sense of humor.. even one that is uniquely her own.  

And if ADA *is* your wife .. it's pretty important to help her recover her past. She's probably even from Earth.. wow.

• Confused 1

@dava4444 I would rather if those fantasies remained in your private OW session, and weren’t to appear in mine. 😅

Sounds a bit too much like ME3 romance between Joker and EDI. What started as a cute and clever idea in ME2, turned into embarrassing fanfic ship-of-love farse. 

I certainly wouldn’t want to see “romance with a computer” forced upon players. It is roleplaying game, and if you find it would fit for your captain to get physically and emotionally attached to his ship, then fine, but there is no one defined “Captain”. 

11 hours ago, dava4444 said:

What I'm saying is.. its a pretty solid trope for OB to just to keep going.. Captains are married to their ship.. and I mean this as an on-going theme.. in FO.. you get a Vault.. TOW you get a ship (Hope).. going forward as as an idea in TOW2.. due to ADA being the first sentient A.I. that we know of.

This is something I will touch on more, in another thread once I gather my thoughts, but my hope is that with OW2 we will get Fallout2 route: current generation will pass and we will play a new character. slides at to the end are rather final. Nothing about this game screams like it needs a direct sequel.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wormerine said:

@dava4444 I would rather if those fantasies remained in your private OW session, and weren’t to appear in mine. 😅

Sounds a bit too much like ME3 romance between Joker and EDI. What started as a cute and clever idea in ME2, turned into embarrassing fanfic ship-of-love farse. 

I certainly wouldn’t want to see “romance with a computer” forced upon players. It is roleplaying game, and if you find it would fit for your captain to get physically and emotionally attached to his ship, then fine, but there is no one defined “Captain”. 

This is something I will touch on more, in another thread once I gather my thoughts, but my hope is that with OW2 we will get Fallout2 route: current generation will pass and we will play a new character. slides at to the end are rather final. Nothing about this game screams like it needs a direct sequel.

Dialogue options can cure many a'thing :) .. if you don't want to do something in a RPG.. you don't have to as long as its designed in a balanced way. 'forced' is a bit strong imho.. then again I feel forced to pay bank breaking sums for Parvati just to get a good outcome because the Devs didn't balance it for both sides (that I can get a good outcome some other way).

I never played any Mass Effects.. and it wasn't what I was drawing from.

And I agree.. I do think TOW2 should have a new character. Perhaps I wasn't clear..  I am saying all Captains.. *could* feel married to their ship.. and the Unreliable just so happens to have a sentient A.I. .. I say all this because the Devs obviously didn't want to have to deal with romance for the main character.

If you're already married in a game.. then.. no need for the extra romance.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 6:49 AM, Wormerine said:

but we had an extensive character editor that serves absolutely no purpose since it is a first person game only... manpower invested in useless stuff.

About ADA. as an AI written by obsidian, it is obviously neither she or sam possess  any real sentience, just emulated one. The only time obsidian changed that was with old world blues, and if AND ONLY IF you get the entire personality modules for each of the services in the think tank.

Also, ADA is not Ciri, it is KAREN. ADA is programed to be sultry and wife-ish like Plankton's own personal computer.

Honestly, I'm extremely refreshed after playing TOW and seeing the lack of romance options. It makes the characters feel more like characters to me, and it lets me focus purely on the interactions with them and the kinds of people they all are, as well as lends them a sense of independence and agency. The characters don't feel like they're obligated to fall in love with you just because you're the super special main character. It makes it feel more like you're just some dude/chick doing their own thing in the world and in fact really aren't special at all aside from being a popsicle for a bit. 

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of having romance options in the game, but they have to be handled delicately and done right, and I mean no offense when I say this, but Obsidian has a record of not really doing the romance stuff in a justifiable and believable manner. I absolutely don't blame them for that because it requires a pretty heavy degree of writing and build up to accomplish this, and considering they tend to make shorter games designed to be replayed, it makes sense. Even if they did, romance is a complex subject to replicate within the confines of a game. Think about how dynamic and complex real romantic relationships can be - it simply does not translate that well into a system that has to follow defined rules like video games unless you forgo a lot of things for the writing to accommodate it, like some Visual Novels tend to do. 

I think they were able to do a reasonably good job depicting romance in a real sense with Parvati and her quest though, but it required the player to be a spectator to work. You get to see the all the doubt, anxiety, etc that goes into falling for a person, and there's even a bit of a minor speedbump in the road when Junlei mentions another girl to Parvati. That combined with it taking the whole quest line for them to finally get together makes it feel a lot more realistic. People take time to build connections like that, and that probably is even more so the case in the setting of TOW. Parvati's companion quest takes forever, and requires you to more than likely be nearing the final stretch of the game (I'm aware you can get to Byzantium and Monarch's towns pretty early, but you're still limited by things like bits and such to make it there and complete her companion quest).

• Like 2

The whole romance in games seems a bit off for me. I guess if want a sex scene in a game, the only way to it is on a Unicorn like the the Witcher 3 lol. Really though what does it for me in games in the continually growing of relationships with good characters, being a friends or potential romance. I think that's where a game can shine, and most don't really do it well. To have you almost feel good or bad to what happens to game character.....which is just 1 and 0's. I think Outer Worlds is only 'ok' with this, with one exception. Parvoti. I think it's her innocent view of the world and gee shucks attitude. It's not romantic at all, like a bigger brother or father daughter attitude.

As for there being a romance with ADA, she's too hot for SAM. Not gunna happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

The only good player "romance" in a videogame is with the crewmates in Saints Row 4.

Because it's just a proposition for casual sex; which means it's actually believable.

(And perhaps a bit on-the-nose in regards to how Sex is so often used as the conclusion to the series of small favors that make up the "romance" path.)

22 hours ago, Bansheebot said:

The only good player "romance" in a videogame is with the crewmates in Saints Row 4.

Because it's just a proposition for casual sex; which means it's actually believable.

(And perhaps a bit on-the-nose in regards to how Sex is so often used as the conclusion to the series of small favors that make up the "romance" path.)

Deadfire did this with Serafen, which I thought was pretty awesome. I already liked him as a character, and not being tied down is totally believable for his personality. I got a pretty good laugh out of how he reacts to you if you're a Fire Godlike and try to sleep with him. 

Edited by GaleWeaver
Typos

I see alot of folks here mention sex. Romance is not "sex".  It is part of it sure but that's the extent of it. That is the problem especially you young people. When you see someone wanting romance in a game it is immediately assumed they want some sex filled game. That is not the case. The whole parvati thing is a good example of a good clean romance story arc. And in my opinion if it was possible to implement it for npc's a few changes in dialogue could have easily made it available for players. 

4 hours ago, Osculim said:

I see alot of folks here mention sex. Romance is not "sex".  It is part of it sure but that's the extent of it. That is the problem especially you young people. When you see someone wanting romance in a game it is immediately assumed they want some sex filled game. That is not the case. The whole parvati thing is a good example of a good clean romance story arc. And in my opinion if it was possible to implement it for npc's a few changes in dialogue could have easily made it available for players. 

the problem as i see it is that “romance” in video games is dimwitted, adolescent, a waste of time and resources and results in poor gameplay

especially seen in mass effect and other bioware and bethesda titles

11 hours ago, thearmourofGod said:

the problem as i see it is that “romance” in video games is dimwitted, adolescent, a waste of time and resources and results in poor gameplay

especially seen in mass effect and other bioware and bethesda titles

This is not mass effect bioware nor bethesda. And there was nothing dimwitted about the parvati romance arc. It was beautifully written. Poor gameplay is not a cause of the game that is all on the player. Its and rpg after all. If you don't know how to deal with romance then maby its not for you which is fine. Just avoid it which you can do with ease. I'm sorry Ill agree to disagree its not a waste of money. Maby in your eyes. But hey you do you. Just because its not something you want doesn't mean that there are others that don't. Games are not made for one person.

• Like 1

i shouldnt respond to your post full of perfectly executed logical fallacies, but, oh well...

whether this is bio or beth is irrelevant as i was speaking about “romance” in video games other than TOW

the pc cannot “romance” parvati (what ive seen has been done well, but, NOT pc/companion “romance”) romantic dialogue is irrelevant; “beautiful” is subjective 

poorly implemented “romance” mechanics absolutely results in poor gameplay

i not only know how to “deal” with romance in games, but, i know how to see poor “romance” gameplay, mechanics and dialogue, as well

avoiding aspects of a game doesnt fix the mechanics; avoiding a games mechanics and gameplay doesnt eliminate ones ability to discuss them

if “romance” was done well in a game and provided meaningful gameplay i would agree its not a waste of money

lol, yes, in my eyes, idiot romance mechanics are a waste:  thanks for your basic comprehension

lol, as opposed to what?  doing somebody else?

i said i dont want idiot “romance”; not no romance

as well, i know other gamers like what i consider idiot romance, but, what others like or dislike is irrelevant to my opinion post

thanks for pointing out the obvious: yes, games are not made for one person

Edited by thearmourofGod

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 6:31 PM, thearmourofGod said:

i shouldnt respond to your post full of perfectly executed logical fallacies, but, oh well...

whether this is bio or beth is irrelevant as i was speaking about “romance” in video games other than TOW

the pc cannot “romance” parvati (what ive seen has been done well, but, NOT pc/companion “romance”) romantic dialogue is irrelevant; “beautiful” is subjective 

poorly implemented “romance” mechanics absolutely results in poor gameplay

i not only know how to “deal” with romance in games, but, i know how to see poor “romance” gameplay, mechanics and dialogue, as well

avoiding aspects of a game doesnt fix the mechanics; avoiding a games mechanics and gameplay doesnt eliminate ones ability to discuss them

if “romance” was done well in a game and provided meaningful gameplay i would agree its not a waste of money

lol, yes, in my eyes, idiot romance mechanics are a waste:  thanks for your basic comprehension

lol, as opposed to what?  doing somebody else?

i said i dont want idiot “romance”; not no romance

as well, i know other gamers like what i consider idiot romance, but, what others like or dislike is irrelevant to my opinion post

thanks for pointing out the obvious: yes, games are not made for one person

Wow ok seems you getting upset about a game. First there is no need for that. I never said the parvati romance was a pc romance. I said it can easily be adjusted to be. There by pointing out that its too hard to do in games is not always nonsense. We do agree that some games do it wrong sure but not all. It can be done well.

Anyway seems like your one of those people that feels your opinion is the only one that counts but unfortunately yours is just one in a sea of many. And your right beautiful is subjective. Meaning your opinion is it is not necessarily the right one. You feel like your view about things are always right and to hell what how anyone else see things. One cannot discuss anything with people like that. So I won't I won't be bother trying any further. Good luck with that attitude in life

Edited by Osculim