Ending bugged me

So I tried to play an evil bastard but that was impossible for me once I had Parvati in the party. She is probably the best companion in any game for me. Anyway she made it impossible for me to be so I found myself always turning into the good guy.  So I decided to invest heavily into all the companions and I really enjoyed all the quests for them but then came the ending and that bugged the heck out of me. I did the good ending all was well but then bam just all the companions just leave your ship and just forget who you are. So much for the friends thing from the bar on the groundbreaker. Why is there no ending where everyone lives happily as friends ? Anyway just my feelings on the matter. 

Well if you had a similar ending to mine, you pretty much become our glorious leader.  Not much time for friends. 

I was more surprised by how good my ending was.  New Vegas/POE always had a "you tried to do the right thing, but a bad thing happened instead.". In OW basically everything went as well as it could have.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Well if you had a similar ending to mine, you pretty much become our glorious leader.  Not much time for friends. 

I was more surprised by how good my ending was.  New Vegas/POE always had a "you tried to do the right thing, but a bad thing happened instead.". In OW basically everything went as well as it could have.

Thats what bothered me everything went great saved the world and then people just forget each other after spending all that time going through everything together. I just feel a group of people like that would at least stay in contact. 

Yeah I think they pretty much do that with all their ending slides in games though... From what I remember new Vegas you essentially disappear, in pillars you return to your castle, deadfire you sail off into the sunset.

My guess is that due to it all being "player choice" they want to be vague on what you do.

It's a pretty small colony so I think it's safe to say you stay in contact with your friends.... They just don't give many details.  Groundbreaker is an important hub so I'd think you'd see pavarti a decent amount.

Edited by Theonlygarby

Did you expect everyone on your crew to move in with you and live as some big family the rest of their lives?  Even close friends move on with their lives.  I've made a lot of close friends in my life and gone through some real tough times with them (albeit we haven't saved the world -- yet), but they don't all live in my house and don't hang around me 24/7.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

4 hours ago, GhostofAnakin said:

Did you expect everyone on your crew to move in with you and live as some big family the rest of their lives?  Even close friends move on with their lives.  I've made a lot of close friends in my life and gone through some real tough times with them (albeit we haven't saved the world -- yet), but they don't all live in my house and don't hang around me 24/7.

No but at least stay in touch. Let me put in another way I'm like 44 and I made a group of friends about 30 odd years ago formed around a singIe thing. Its now 30 od years later and eventho people moved on with their lives got married etc. We are still all extremely close. You just don't forget as if people never existed. Now when it comes to the game with most the companions you don't deal to much but with Parvati you are a huge influence on her life and build a strong friendship I can assure you those type of friendships last a lifetime. Anyway maby I'm just sentimental. 

Edited by Osculim
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, xSean said:

While I can see the majority of the characters moving on, the one that surprised me was Nyoka as she explicitly asks in a late-game dialogue tree if she would be able to stay with you.

I forgot about that. Good point.

I think maybe, they are planning to keep your main character in sequels.  Mostly due to the super power of slowing time down, unless you are a new frozen person.  If that is the case, your future with the companions might be continued in a later game. 

42 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

I forgot about that. Good point.

I think maybe, they are planning to keep your main character in sequels.  Mostly due to the super power of slowing time down, unless you are a new frozen person.  If that is the case, your future with the companions might be continued in a later game. 

I can see your point makes sense from a gameplay perspective for future sequels. I really hope next time they add such well thought out and greatly written companions like Parvati they add some romantic options. I really don't like forming strong bonds with characters just for it to basically mean nothing in the end

8 hours ago, Osculim said:

I can see your point makes sense from a gameplay perspective for future sequels. I really hope next time they add such well thought out and greatly written companions like Parvati they add some romantic options. I really don't like forming strong bonds with characters just for it to basically mean nothing in the end

Yeah I like relationships in games, but honestly there is no winning.  It's always not enough gay characters or too many gay characters.  I completely see why a developer would just avoid the whole thing.  

Do you make every character bisexual?  Do you make characters have a specific orientation and lock off to different genders?

People are so sensitive in regard to this issue.  I've never really had a game that did relationships well...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Yeah I like relationships in games, but honestly there is no winning.  It's always not enough gay characters or too many gay characters.  I completely see why a developer would just avoid the whole thing.  

Do you make every character bisexual?  Do you make characters have a specific orientation and lock off to different genders?

People are so sensitive in regard to this issue.  I've never really had a game that did relationships well...

Ye I can sort of see the dilema. The problem is society not the game tho.  Im playing a game portraying someone I'm not in real life. Maby its an age thing at my age sexual orientation is not a big deal in a game people should not confuse gaming with reality. Heck im a 44 year old strait guy and I just loved parvati as you probably have noticed regardless  of her sexual orientation. There are a lot of older people like me that see things this way and game developers should not feel preasured to shy away from dealing with sexuality. I find its mostly the younger generations that can't seem to deal with it. So ye I would love to see relationships in games. Shying away from it just make it harder in the end.

I got the ice cream ending. The brand of the ice cream has what bugged me most, you see, this alt timeline Carlos Clan of 1 int bruiser males would involve Rizzo's beverages (i even chose the bartending background) and tons of doubious corporate stuff. By the end of the game, saltuna would become the next "bottlecaps" because i ruined both canneries (one by "liking pressing buttons" and the other because i filled it with zealot iconoclasts) scientists were struggling to make everything work again (i just revived a few of them and all of them died before ripping their harvests) and such.

Another part that made little to no sense was looking at Felix waiting still for a revolution, maybe i was not much myself while playing this game, or maybe i should had removed the iconoclast's leader instead of ruining monarch's saltuna cannery so the soldier girl lead the iconoclasts instead.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:12 AM, Osculim said:

Why is there no ending where everyone lives happily as friends ?

The ending is kept intentionally vague as far as what The Unplanned Variable does, because the only person who knows what your character would do after the game is over is YOU. As others have pointed out, they do this in a lot of their games, like Pillars 2 and New Vegas to name a couple. The companions, however, are NOT you. They are their own individuals with their own goals and desires, and their own lives. There's nothing stopping you from extrapolating on what your character would do - in fact, that's the point. If you were playing a character that was nice and super close to the companions you made, then it obviously stands to reason that neither them or you would forget one another and would maybe even meet up for some drinks or to run some small jobs together.

My first playthrough's ending of this game was very memorable for me. I sided with Welles and when he asked me what I was gonna do when it was all over, I simply said "I'm gonna do what always have - Whatever I want." 
With an ending like that, you don't need anything spelled out for you, you're the architect of your own character, after all. 

On 11/12/2019 at 3:07 AM, GaleWeaver said:

The ending is kept intentionally vague as far as what The Unplanned Variable does, because the only person who knows what your character would do after the game is over is YOU. As others have pointed out, they do this in a lot of their games, like Pillars 2 and New Vegas to name a couple. The companions, however, are NOT you. They are their own individuals with their own goals and desires, and their own lives. There's nothing stopping you from extrapolating on what your character would do - in fact, that's the point. If you were playing a character that was nice and super close to the companions you made, then it obviously stands to reason that neither them or you would forget one another and would maybe even meet up for some drinks or to run some small jobs together.

My first playthrough's ending of this game was very memorable for me. I sided with Welles and when he asked me what I was gonna do when it was all over, I simply said "I'm gonna do what always have - Whatever I want." 
With an ending like that, you don't need anything spelled out for you, you're the architect of your own character, after all. 

Even if a companion is his own person with desires etc. The friendships you build with people don't just vanish into thin air. That is ridiculous sure they would go their own way and do their own thing but you would hardly just suddenly forget someone existed.

Edited by Osculim

20 hours ago, Osculim said:

The friendships you build with people don't just vanish into thin air

Okay? I never said they did, and neither do the game endings. What is your point? My entire post is about the fact that the ending doesn't need to spell any of this stuff out for you. You can assume it based on the character that you LITERALLY made and roleplayed through the entire story with. 

On 11/17/2019 at 10:34 AM, GaleWeaver said:

Okay? I never said they did, and neither do the game endings. What is your point? My entire post is about the fact that the ending doesn't need to spell any of this stuff out for you. You can assume it based on the character that you LITERALLY made and roleplayed through the entire story with. 

Maby I misunderstood you. But still I don't want to assume things that happens or don't happen. That is what makes this game so much fun for me. The whole fact that choices you make give you outcomes in the end. Even the little things you do way back in edgewater. I don't want to guess what the outcome is nor do i want to assume. But I guess we all expect something different. The point is neither of us is wrong for wanting something from a game. If we all had the same ideas life would be soooo boring don't you think.