TOW Q&A with Mikey Dowling! (Nov 5)

Mikey Dowling took a moment to answer some questions in the official Obsidian Discord.  Here's a lightly-edited summary for those who aren't chatting with us online:

Q: I'm having a crash/save/load issue, are you looking into it?
A: If your issue has been reported to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com then we are looking into it. Issues like the elevator on Tartarus and the saves disappearing are issues we're absolutely looking into.

Q:: The font is super small, are you going to make it bigger.
A: We're looking into that as well and hope to have it in one of the next updates.

Q: When exactly is the next update?
A: Since it isn't as simple with consoles to push patches the way we could on PC for Pillars 1, Tyranny, or Deadfire, the submissions take some time and have to go through a process. As soon as we know we're good to get the patch out, we'll let you know and give patch notes.

Q: Are the devs gods or something?
A: If only!  I'd be able to fix my foot.  [Note: He broke his ankle last week.]

Q: Is there post-game content in TOW?
A: No there is not. There is a point of no return save, everything else after that you can't carry over.

Q: Are there fist weapons?
A: No there are not. Only one-handed and two-handed melee.

Q: Hey, devs: are the *.gamedatabundle, etc., files in the Exported folder human readable a la the similar files for Pillars 2? If so, it might be helpful in the UWP version to add <rescap:Capability Name="modifiableApp"/> to appxmanifest.xml, and then set up those folders for us modders/tools devs.
A: I'll pass that along to the team and see if there is anything they can do with it!

Q: Any chance of TOW getting ray-tracing support?
A: Highly unlikely but we won't say never. But most likely not.

Q: Can't see my character in the creation menu
A: Please report that issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thank you!

Q: Why doesn't TOW have ultra wide support?
A: This is something we're looking into as well.

Q: Bug report, water gleam is too high!
A: Please report that issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thank you!

Q: Can we get a personal waypoint for the map?
A: This is something we have seen asked for and are looking into seeing if it's something we can do.

Q: It is normal for corpses to occasionally not be lootable/openable at all?
A: There is an odd issue that comes up with their loot table (even if empty) not showing. We're looking into this.

Q: Can we get third-person in the next update please?
A: There will not be a third-person camera implemented for The Outer Worlds, apologies for any inconveniences this may cause.

Q: In the Spanish localization every NPC treats you like a she, even if you picked the male gender.
A: Please report this issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thank you!

Q: Do we (Obsidian) ever think about making a launcher just for our games?
A: Nope. We hear very often that people hate having multiple launchers. Not gonna add one more when we'll have Xbox Game Pass PC going forward. :)

Q: I'm reporting a bug [in Discord].
A: Awesome! Though the better place to report bugs is through Private Division at support@privatedivision.com. Thanks!

Q: Are there going to be expansions/DLC?
A: We're working on issues for the main game that y'all are running into now, if we're able to expand on the game, we'll let you know when we're ready to do so!

Q: Can you guys add some custom keybind options? This game is painful to play for left handed people and those with disabilities
A: This is something we're looking into.

Q: Could we get a new game plus?
A: It was discussed, but time and resources meant work on making the core experience as solid as possible won over.

Q: Is aim assist for controllers on PC gonna be a thing?
A: I'll have to test as I haven't personally played on controller on a PC in awhile.

Q: During conversations with NPCs the "Hold Y to toggle history" flashes every time in transitions.
A: Please submit this issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thanks!

Q: I have issues with Nyoka's quest.
A: Please submit the issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thanks!

Q: I'm unable to delete saves.
A: That's an odd one as I've not seen that issue. Please report it to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thank you!

Q: Best thing about working with Bethesda on Fallout: New Vegas. And was it stressful or was it pretty chill throughout development of the game?
A: For me it was my second game and I was super pumped for it. I didn't grow up with a PC so I had missed Fallout 1 and 2, but was introduced to the series at 3 and really dug how open it felt and how the choices I made changed things. So when we got the deal to work on New Vegas, I was super happy. Then I dove in and had to organize all of the scripts in the game for various recordings and it was pretty non-stop from that point until launch. Still had a fun time with it, even if I did end up in the hospital for a little while.

Q: Is there any possibility of an FOV slider being added to the console versions of the game?
A: Let me send that to the team and see if there is anything we can do.

Q: Extended sliders for character creation?
A: At this point, that is unlikely.

Q: Is there a way to add a mode like Supernova, but also make it like Ranger difficulty in Metro?
A: Sorry to say that is unlikely.

Q: Any chance for a costume system for The Outer Worlds?
A: I believe I need more clarity on that.

Q: Is [X] a reference to New Vegas?
A: We did not purposefully make references to anything outside of team related things during development.

Q: Is the point of divergence for The Outer Worlds' alternate timeline really the thing about McKinnley not being assassinated? I don't see it in game.
A: Just because it's not in the game doesn't mean it's not true. Leonard has gone over this several times in recent interviews.

Q: Supernova should be adjusted save wise, are you considering it?
A: I haven't seen it (though that doesn't mean it hasn't been mentioned). For a suggestion like that, send it over to support@obsidian.net. Thanks!

Q: Why is this [Discord channel] called "ask the devs" I haven't seen any developers answering questions.
A: Most of our developers are working and not spending time on Discord during their work hours. 😉 That said, myself or someone from the Comms team (mostly me) go through these regularly and try and do what I'm doing now. I would have been in here sooner, but broke my ankle. Real fun.

Q: Any shot we can get the bug where your flaws stick with you across saves fixed?
A: Did you have a save without a flaw, got a flaw, then returned to that save and the flaw was there? Once you take the flaw it's always with you. You can't respec them.

Q: I think i discovered a bug where if you get debufs on your stats when you overdose on chems you can save and load back the save and the debufs and gone.
A: That sounds like a support issue. Please send that over to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thanks!

Q: Can you please comment on the head bobbing skybox issue causing thousands of people to experience motion sickness?
A: I haven't seen a thousand tickets for this, but please send this over to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thanks!

Q: Can we get TOW emojis [in Discord]?
A: Good idea! Let me see what we can get.

Q: Do we have plans to continue to refine the game? For example reworking mechanics, making perks more interesting and meaningful, tweaking numbers and equipment, etc.?
A: I can check and see if there are plans, but it is unlikely as we're focused on getting to the issues that players are having now with the game (crashes, save issues, font issues, etc.)

Q: How long til official merch?
A: We may be working on some things and when we have something we'll be sure to share!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Q: When exactly is the next update?
A: Since it isn't as simple with consoles to push patches the way we could on PC for Pillars 1, Tyranny, or Deadfire, the submissions take some time and have to go through a process. As soon as we know we're good to get the patch out, we'll let you know and give patch notes.

I'm sorry, are you holding back PC patches for console approval?!?!?!?! Please don't do that nonsense!

6 hours ago, skrelk said:

I'm sorry, are you holding back PC patches for console approval?!?!?!?! Please don't do that nonsense!

That is what I gleaned from that statement as well.  One thing I think Bethesda has done well when they released a game on multiple platforms they released fixes to the different platforms as they came available.  A lot of PC people they where being used as guinea pigs for the changes but I would rather experience them and offer feedback then be set to a schedule dictated by the companies that control consoles.