Politics First Contact

Amentep

1 minute ago, ComradeMaster said:

Nobody with a brain took Calexit seriously.

Also, I don't recall anyone claiming they want to come to your home and take your guns, there is a 2nd amendment after all and I've already stated my person view on gun control which is quite modest by left wing standards.

And there's more to life and the world around you than living bunkered in a shack out in the woods armed to the teeth.  That's a very reactionary viewpoint.

It was just an example of what a 2nd Civil war might look like. It won't be fought by armies. It will be fought by individuals who say "this far, no farther"

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

29 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Also, I don't recall anyone claiming they want to come to your home and take your guns,

Why do people insist people didn't said what they said? We are not goldfishes our memory last more than 5 second.

166215__front.jpg

53 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It was just an example of what a 2nd Civil war might look like. It won't be fought by armies. It will be fought by individuals who say "this far, no farther"

That would be classified as a "farce", yes.  Karl Marx +1

Anywho, how about some more Fake News from Russian State Sponsored sources

Edited by ComradeMaster

Having stiff and plastic-looking newscasters sure helps with the Fake News feel, sure. I know there's (probably) no one pointing a gun at her off-camera, but damn.

Jesse's intro thing was just pure cringe.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"Every single one of us on the planet are products of our environment, and most of us are indoctrinated from birth into some religion."

FAKE NEWS.

I was baptised roman catholic, did more than my share of religious stuff, I am as anti religion  as one can be without being a nazi like you. Someone on this baord has a quote of mine about what I think of religion. But, your proposal of committing mass murder, mass prison, and mass brianwahsing is   no better than what religion nutballz do. Anytime someone wants to make laws on what what others can believe me they are auto nazis  extremists. PERIOD. Your religion is just as bad as theirs.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That actually made me lol. :lol: But at least you took a hard right away from the braying donkeys that complain about "whataboutism" from one side of their faces and then regurgitate it from the other. 

I don't want to control anyone. I view religion the same way as I view a tumor...something that needs to be excised from humanity for our own advancement. Currently its nothing more than one generation of hominids passing a story to the next via oral traditions, and getting farther from the truth with every retelling. 

it is difficult to imagine a more profound and despicable kind of control than than the criminalization o' sincere held beliefs and those otherwise innocuous practices o' prayer and congregation which is so often associated with religion. 

is gauche to quote self, but given the situation, am finding this a particular appropriate bit o' necromancy.

am ambivalent 'bout faith. am clear and resolute that criminalization o' religion is wrong. is perhaps no more vile abuse o' authority and control than to criminalize faith, religious or otherwise.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I view religion the same way as I view a tumor...something that needs to be excised from humanity for our own advancement. "

Nazis thought the same of Jews. Just sayin'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I just like the idea that Gfted has solved this whole religion thing. Sure, it has been a part of human nature since the beginning, but now that we've answered all the mysteries of the universe, who needs to turn to any type of God for reassurance? We should all be so free of doubt! 

Oh come, we got Wikipedia for our factual needs and Facebook for our spiritual needs. We don’t need religion and priests anymore 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

23 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I don't want to control anyone. I view religion the same way as I view a tumor...something that needs to be excised from humanity for our own advancement.

Not sure how much it is holding us back, though. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Besides a sense of tribalism, what good is religion?

For the first 9-11 years, most of us absofeakinglutely believed in Santa Clause. Why? Because that's what we were taught. Then one day we learned, haha no, its our family. That's the same reason people believe in "god". Monkey see, monkey do. Somehow they just never outgrow it. Theres 10's-100s of thousands of people on Earth right now that have seen a UFO, but not one has seen god. There isn't a single shred of concrete evidence of god in our historical records...its like a worldwide mass hallucination brought on by fungus infused rye.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I just like the idea that Gfted has solved this whole religion thing. Sure, it has been a part of human nature since the beginning, but now that we've answered all the mysteries of the universe, who needs to turn to any type of God for reassurance? We should all be so free of doubt! 

earlier in the thread we mentioned the appeal of straightforward villains and simple answers. immigrants are the problem, so build a wall. religion is the problem, so outlaw faith.  is childlike in simplicity, but am suspecting that is the appeal. if a solution cannot be summed up on a poster or hat, then it will fail to resonate with many people.

is why education is so important. hurl, thanks to his history education, recognizes the abject failure previous attempts to outlaw religion has suffered. those nations which has outlawed religion to varying degrees didn't see a reduction in fear, hate, bigotry or any other evil often attributed to religion.  and yeah, is easy to point to highly educated individuals who nevertheless deny history and facts, but educate society as a whole results in lessening o' ills even if pace o' change is glacial.

argue that benefits o' religion is outweighed by evils? sure. however, outlaw religious practice and belief is a far different thing than debate social ills for which religion is blameworthy. 

'course even education may be twisted by oppressive authoritarian regimes and their attempt at control.

is only 1% o' the population and yet the chinese are going to extremes to control. 

41 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Are spiritual needs a real thing? Serious question. If so what are they?

is not gonna be a satisfying answer, but consider what is most important to people. love. family. justice. such things ain't real in any sense save that folks believe they is real. even family. child accidental switched at birth. child don't know he/she isn't real family, yes? parents with switched child don't know either. family bond exists 'cause you believe it does. 

could we exorcise family bond in a generation? sure. take all children from their birth parents and have 'em raised by the state ignorant o' their biological mother and father. do such for two or three generations so nobody recalls "family" save for The State. am guessing fruit o' such an experiment is you end up with a nation o' psychopaths, but family as we know it would be fundamental changed by such control, no?

gd would die and even kill for a rusty chainsaw. is 'cause o' what he believes the chainsaw represents.  such belief is not real and tangible, but gd's belief is genuine and earnest, yes?

from our pov, "real" is the least important query. when we consider what we would die for, and what is worth living for, such stuff is almost never real save for 'cause we believe. liberty. faith. love. god?

tell us family and love is more real than god? dunno. seems thin. power o' such stuff comes from belief, and belief can be the most real thing there is.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

27 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

That’s the kind of question you’re going to get 7 billion answers for as it’s something that philosophers and religions have been trying to answer since religion became a thing. 

37 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Hard liquor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

admission: there is one religion we wouldn't shed tears over if it were sudden outlawed and disappeared from human memory.

am talking the religion which inspires nothing but hate and tribalism to degrees irredeemable. pettiness and ignorance are promoted by their clergy and the saints of the church are increasingly those individuals who flaunt any societal norms, embracing illegal and immoral behavior with callous impunity. the faith is a stain which will only be washed away by oceans of tears and blood.

Spoiler

*shudder*

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

admission: there is one religion we wouldn't shed tears over if it were sudden outlawed and disappeared from human memory.

am talking the religion which inspires nothing but hate and tribalism to degrees irredeemable. pettiness and ignorance are promoted by their clergy and the saints of the church are increasingly those individuals who flaunt any societal norms, embracing illegal and immoral behavior with callous impunity. the faith is a stain which will only be washed away by oceans of tears and blood.

Reveal hidden contents

*shudder*

HA! Good Fun!

:lol: Damn! I thought it was going to be the Church of Belichick

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

It'll be fought by... Captain Picard? 

I don't want to be assimilated! Do you?

Thomas Sowell

• Gorth locked this topic

More politics this way:

:closed:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein