Politics First Contact

Amentep

5 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

What kind of tragedies? I'd be much more worried about the fallout of Trump being removed. How many far right extremists have already committed tragedies while Trump has been in office?

well, if you listened to the floor debates yesterday, you will know a few o' trump's defenders likened the impeachment efforts to historical tragedies such as pearl harbor, we kid you not. also compared trump situation to the trial o' christ, and such is not first time house republicans has seen parallels 'tween the son of god and trump. surely hurl can see the tragedy in democrats attempts to crucify (politically 'course) the second coming, yes?

is a warning necessary for profanity if such is the words o' the savior?

tragic.

trump's base has not grown since 2016, but it has solidified... or maybe calcified. notions o' some kinda sudden groundswell o' support for trump and republicans ignores fact he is not, and has never been popular. impeachment won't make trump the second coming, no matter how many times folks in Congress suggest such. the gop is desperate trying to keep trump's base, 'cause all it will take is a couple % points shift to doom trump and any o' his loyalists. is no tragedy looming for democrats from impeachment save for their perpetual disappointment o' being unable to get democrats to vote. sure, a couple house democrats in vulnerable districts may lose their seats, but is not a large number. converse, is a couple o' republican senators who is vulnerable this cycle, and to shift senate there need only be a couple seats change from red to blue. susan collins, for example, will need be campaigning against not only her democrat opponent, but a ghost.

democrats likely will take a hit in the house this year, but shouldn't be tragic scale. meanwhile, is likely we see resolution o' Court cases regarding wh obstruction in june or thereabouts. if democrats howled 'bout comey's 11th hour clinton email announcements, we can only imagine what republicans will be saying as the House has witnesses such as bolton testify in august or september o' next year. have no idea what such folks will say, so is a gamble and complete outside our experience as in our business you never call a witness if you is unsure what their testimony will be. nevertheless, am anticipating unique DC fireworks for the 4th next year.

@Raithe

no. Constitution (22nd amendment) makes clear a person can be elected to office o' President no more than twice. unambiguous. is nothing 'bout nullification o' terms or similar nonsense. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
atlantic article failed to link

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Also, for the random quotage of anonymous internet personage:

When each and every Republican gets up and says, 'no evidence, no crime, sham process,' and each and every Democrat gets up and says 'clear evidence, most aggregious abuse of power,' the system has failed.

Polls generally show that average Americans are much more moderate than their representatives make them out to be. It was moderates of both parties who acted to impeach Nixon. I ask where are the moderates today?

Are we so scared of the political machine that we forget to stand up for our own values rather than worry about the next election? If so, then we have lost our way.

Washington, in his farewell address to the nation (written by Madison), warned against factional polarization and its cost on the American republic. Dr. Franklin warned that it was keeping a republic that was going to be challenging.

So many have quoted Hamilton in the People's House these last few days, but I don't think they're really reading what Hamilton wrote. Hamilton was worried about what has existed since the Kennedy administration, an executive who was untethered from Congress, the first article branch, the People's representatives. Our voices should be heard in the halls of the People's House. They are not being heard this week, no matter which side of this impeachment process you fall on. Moderation means being accountable to all of the People, not merely big donors, corporate interests, party machines, etc....

Hamilton paid the price of the division Washington warned against with his life, when the first such divisive challenge arose shortly after the Washington administration relinquished power back to the People.

We all will pay the price of this division of our government. We have been for not just this administration, but the oppose everything Congress of the previous administration laid down that groundwork.

It's time for the moderates of this nation who put the causes of the People above their own ambitions to step up, and say, 'no more'. Do the work of the People, not the politics of division! I just hope it's not too late.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, I voted for Green party in my constituency. They get about 1000 votes coming 4th, with Conservative getting over 50% of total votes. Some people are getting super upset about it, but that's democracy, you make your vote and if it doesn't win you just have to deal with it what is the point complaining forever. 

nowt

Just now, ComradeMaster said:

Funny how RT America isn't on the list, yet weirdly enough I get a lot of reasonably accurate news from Russian sources xD

What times we live in!

I was wondering where RT was, i actually like the Keiser Report.

• Like 1

nowt

4 minutes ago, daven said:

I was wondering where RT was, i actually like the Keiser Report.

Neither is Al-Jazeera, even though they score similarly to ABC in both reliability and bias. I guess you can only cram so many logos in the cusp of god-tier centrism.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, daven said:

Also I have to say, Trump should have never been President in the first place!!! He is the star of Celebrity Apprentice! Well it's nothing to do with me i'm not American, the UK is in more of a **** show than the US.

is horrible to admit, but am ever grateful the uk is even more fubar than the US, 'cause is surreal how corporal bone spurs could make misogynist comments with impunity and nevertheless be the chosen one o' those die-hard christian and military honk conservatives who voted for him and continue to defend him. heck, Gromnir is, in spite o' crude nature o' the binary choice, a conservative even if am current not registered republican and we would prefer to gargle with soiled cat litter than vote for trump. 

root problem in US and uk is the same: education fail. thanks to internet and proliferation o' cable news sources, the alternative facts and conspiracy theory nonsense is being peddled as truth and too few know how to discern genuine fact from fiction. rare teach meaningful critical thinking in schools. in 2019, gaslighting and whataboutism is not just reddit fodder but is mainstream. too many search for "news" which makes 'em feel good and righteous rather than looking for hard truths. example: lack o' manufacturing jobs ain't bout a predictable and necessary shift to a service-based economy coupled with increasing automation 'cause real villains is immigrants. if you is a person in danger o' losing a manufacturing job, you want there to be clear villains and simple-to-understand solutions like a wall.

*groan*

lack o' genuine education, coupled with a proliferation o' disinformation options makes democratic populations particular vulnerable to the snake oil salesman and carnival barkers who appear to be the current facemen o' politics.

education is the solution, which is why folks like trump tend to poll poor with better educated. 'course trump then makes betsy devos secretary of education, so...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

is horrible to admit, but am ever grateful the uk is even more fubar than the US, 'cause is surreal how corporal bone spurs could make misogynist comments with impunity and nevertheless be the chosen one o' those die-hard christian and military honk conservatives who voted for him and continue to defend him. heck, Gromnir is, in spite o' crude nature o' the binary choice, a conservative even if am current not registered republican and we would prefer to gargle with soiled cat litter than vote for trump. 

root problem in US and uk is the same: education fail. thanks to internet and proliferation o' cable news sources, the alternative facts and conspiracy theory nonsense is being peddled as truth and too few know how to discern genuine fact from fiction. rare teach meaningful critical thinking in schools. in 2019, gaslighting and whataboutism is not just reddit fodder but is mainstream. too many search for "news" which makes 'em feel good and righteous rather than looking for hard truths. example: lack o' manufacturing jobs ain't bout a predictable and necessary shift to a service-based economy coupled with increasing automation 'cause real villains is immigrants. if you is a person in danger o' losing a manufacturing job, you want there to be clear villains and simple-to-understand solutions like a wall.

*groan*

lack o' genuine education, coupled with a proliferation o' disinformation options makes democratic populations particular vulnerable to the snake oil salesman and carnival barkers who appear to be the current facemen o' politics.

education is the solution, which is why folks like trump tend to poll poor with better educated. 'course trump then makes betsy devos secretary of education, so...

HA! Good Fun!

Right.. i've genuinely heard people here say 'I'm voting to leave the EU to get rid of all the muslims'.

These people should not be allowed to vote IMO because they have no idea about anything. No point going on how much nonsense that statement even is, but yeah... los of stupid folk about.

nowt

15 minutes ago, daven said:

Right.. i've genuinely heard people here say 'I'm voting to leave the EU to get rid of all the muslims'.

These people should not be allowed to vote IMO because they have no idea about anything. No point going on how much nonsense that statement even is, but yeah... los of stupid folk about.

The vast majority of people I know that vote for the Swedish Democrats, usually do it for the stereotypical "they take our jobs", "muslims don't fit into Swedish society" and the normal things. Meanwhile, at my workplace, which would fit any of my SD voting friends to a T, the only thing you need is a willingness to apply to the job and the ability to read Swedish (You need to read the labels on the Packages and understand them, name, adress and such), my bosses has had to get rid of the demand of an ability to read Swedish because Swedes typically only come here and stay for 3 months tops, typically 3 days before they never come back, because they're spoiled ****s.

Out of some 200 workers, we have 20 Swedes, the rest are immigrants.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

The vast majority of people I know that vote for the Swedish Democrats, usually do it for the stereotypical "they take our jobs", "muslims don't fit into Swedish society" and the normal things. Meanwhile, at my workplace, which would fit any of my SD voting friends to a T, the only thing you need is a willingness to apply to the job and the ability to read Swedish (You need to read the labels on the Packages and understand them, name, adress and such), my bosses has had to get rid of the demand of an ability to read Swedish because Swedes typically only come here and stay for 3 months tops, typically 3 days before they never come back, because they're spoiled ****s.

Out of some 200 workers, we have 20 Swedes, the rest are immigrants.

That sort of mindset is so outdated now. This is a globalized world, 'nations' shouldn't even be a concept anymore. At my work there is mainly Polish, they make an effort to travel here and work hard to make money. A lot of the English just can not be bothered, expect everything to be given to me. Nothing in life is free.

• Like 1

nowt

is perhaps a subtle but we believe an important distinction to be made is 'tween uneducated and genuine stoopid.

isn't a solution for stoopid. that said, Gromnir worked more than a few blue-collar jobs over the years including roofing supply, painter, ranch hand and a few others. we worked with a whole lotta uneducated guys, and a handful o' women.  only a few were stoopid. we could explain complex problems to co-workers and they could understand as long as we simplified and used vocabulary they understood. education were the problem... were more often than not Gromnir's problem as we were the one failing to communicate effective.

is easy to mistake stoopid and uneducated 'cause both groups will say stoopid things.

perhaps is a personal conceit, but we believe stoopid is a very small group. is some educated people who is inexplicable stoopid. regardless, uneducated is a problem which has a solution and am believing is a problem which may be reduced if not complete fixed.

call us an optimist.

HA! Good Fun!

36 minutes ago, daven said:

That sort of mindset is so outdated now. This is a globalized world, 'nations' shouldn't even be a concept anymore. At my work there is mainly Polish, they make an effort to travel here and work hard to make money. A lot of the English just can not be bothered, expect everything to be given to me. Nothing in life is free.

Yeah, they need to get over it. In my specific department having functional knowledge of russian should be a demand, I work with handling traffic, and a large amount of drivers we have here speak only russian. We are getting more and more of the immigrants starting to drive lorries aswell, because no Swedes are learning to drive lorries, but the ones that do really hate immigrants, though typically they hate foreign drivers more, so for now the situation is okay, but once we get rid of the foreign drivers there will be two sharply divided camps of drivers.

32 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

is perhaps a subtle but we believe an important distinction to be made is 'tween uneducated and genuine stoopid.

isn't a solution for stoopid. that said, Gromnir worked more than a few blue-collar jobs over the years including roofing supply, painter, ranch hand and a few others. we worked with a whole lotta uneducated guys, and a handful o' women.  only a few were stoopid. we could explain complex problems to co-workers and they could understand as long as we simplified and used vocabulary they understood. education were the problem... were more often than not Gromnir's problem as we were the one failing to communicate effective.

is easy to mistake stoopid and uneducated 'cause both groups will say stoopid things.

perhaps is a personal conceit, but we believe stoopid is a very small group. is some educated people who is inexplicable stoopid. regardless, uneducated is a problem which has a solution and am believing is a problem which may be reduced if not complete fixed.

call us an optimist.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, just venting a bit. Saw an opening and took the opportunity now that it was there :)

Edit; I'll tell you this though, I think generally people are too lazy and comfortable to read up on things. If people would just read up on some things instead of watch the latest "housewives" or whatever is on TV/Netflix, the vast majority of Swedish political parties wouldn't get away with siding with the Swedish democrats. Just reading through what their electoral pledge would stop people from thinking their politics is for the working man, they want to make reforms that the normal conservatives has been afraid of doing because they have managed to become the new "workers party" of Sweden.

That said, too many people are getting worked up about SD being racist to debate their actual monutmentally retarded politics.

//probably should stay away from the internet after a bottle of rum...

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

37 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Edit; I'll tell you this though, I think generally people are too lazy and comfortable to read up on things.

100% agree. is worth noting how stoopid may not be fixable, but is not an individual's fault if they lack capacity. uneducated is a choice. sure, self-education is not easy even if there is many opportunities to self-educate. am having sympathy for those who is uneducated and earnest trying, but those who simple turn on tv or surf internet to find stuff which validates their current held opinions or just looking to be entertained...

am recognizing how hard it is to self-educate, particular as a working adult. nevertheless, fall for obvious gaslighting and whataboutism is ultimately a choice.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

And always worth a re-post for consideration of your news sources....

MW-GE557_MediaB_20180228115701_NS.jpg?uu

The Drudge Report does not produce news. They just link to other people's work. Lot's of other sites. Also Mother Jones really should be in the orange box. I like USA Today. It's like news for folks with ADD. I'm a little fed up with Was Po. I have the Kindle subscription but it's becoming all commentary and not a lot of news reporting. It used to be a lot closer to the print version. 

The one magazine I read every month is National Geographic. That one I'll never cancel. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

100% agree. is worth noting how stoopid may not be fixable, but is not an individual's fault if they lack capacity. uneducated is a choice. sure, self-education is not easy even if there is many opportunities to self-educate. am having sympathy for those who is uneducated and earnest trying, but those who simple turn on tv or surf internet to find stuff which validates their current held opinions or just looking to be entertained...

am recognizing how hard it is to self-educate, particular as a working adult. nevertheless, fall for obvious gaslighting and whataboutism is ultimately a choice.

HA! Good Fun!

I think the day I "cut the cord" so to speak and cancelled DirecTv can access to cable news my IQ ticked up a few points. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

Constitution (22nd amendment) makes clear a person can be elected to office o' President no more than twice. unambiguous. is nothing 'bout nullification o' terms or similar nonsense. 

HA! Good Fun!

Just waiting for the tweet proclaiming the constitution for fake news, instigated by London to prevent the country (USA) from becoming great again!

Judging by the spinelessness of the GOP so far, they would probably not object to Trump declaring himself "Imperator" for life, because the White House has for too long been kept down by filthy bureaucracy and nasty, power hungry democrats.

(that's probably going to take two tweets, isn't there something about a maximum length of texts?)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Trump is privately plotting "vengeance" according to Daily Beast: https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-tells-michigan-rally-hes-not-worried-about-impeachment-privately-plots-vengeance

That should be interesting. According to CNN yesterday he's planning on suing Adam Schiff. For what I do not know. I am genuinely curious what a Revenge of the Trump might look like. How much lower can he go?

Let's see if rock bottom has a basement!

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Funny how RT America isn't on the list, yet weirdly enough I get a lot of reasonably accurate news from Russian sources xD

The really big missing site is, and I hate to say it, The Daily Mail. Which is of course crap, but is hugely popular. Straight after posting I see it is there, utterly typical.

OTOH I think that excluding RT- and VoA/ RFE/RL too for that matter- is fair enough since they're more or less explicitly direct media/ propaganda wings of governments instead of 'independent media'. They aren't really expected to have editorial independence, unlike the BBC which while government funded is (supposed to be) wholly independent when it comes to reporting. Would get a bit complicated though, I'd pretty much have to exclude Al Jazeera Arabic as being Qatari propaganda but allow AJEnglish...

I always suspect those sort of charts are made by mainstream media to pat themselves on the back for being 'fair, balanced, intelligent and impartial' as defined by (a) member(s) of the mainstream media themselves.

Edited by Zoraptor

3 hours ago, Raithe said:

And always worth a re-post for consideration of your news sources....

MW-GE557_MediaB_20180228115701_NS.jpg?uu

Do turning frogs gay and alien/demon/government conspiracies are now Most extreme conservative viewpoints?  :)

I would vote for him xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"