Full Steam Ahead!

Apart from that little Steam addiction thread, I couldn't find any proper Steam thread, so I started one. And why?

Well, Valve decided to give the Steam UI a facelift, and I found it so horrific that I reverted the entire UI back to the normal comfy one, and I followed these instructions to do so:

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Thanks 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah, the banner is the only good thing about it. The rest is clunky, far too big, and not very player friendly. When I revert back to the old UI, I can see at a glance my game, DLCs, achivement progress, and the tabs for discussions, etc. Plus I like the simple design rather than this billboard Windows 10 Edge user interface, which I hate with a passion. Probably something made for iPads or some similar touch screen devices.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The timing of this has coincided well with me spending all my time on the Xbox Gamepass for PC Windows 10 thingee. They really need to get a better name for their platform. But yeah, I'm sure I'll be unhappy once I go back to Steam on the regular.

don't get me wrong, but I feel like people dislike mobile similarities than actually disliking it. You can set low bandwith mode and disable community in settings which you couldn't do in previous library settings.

I actually like new library, like news section and really really don't understand what is the problem.

9 minutes ago, Melusina said:

don't get me wrong, but I feel like people dislike mobile similarities than actually disliking it. You can set low bandwith mode and disable community in settings which you couldn't do in previous library settings.

I actually like new library, like news section and really really don't understand what is the problem.

The news section is missing for me. How do you bring it back?

The news section are huge splashes (too many of them) in the place where you used to not get invaded (in your games library), and the games library, looking at it from a game to game perspective on my new PC is far too big and overview seems like it's been obliterated in Valve's vocabulary.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Melusina said:

Have you tried library -> home?

Yes Home is default under Library. My issue is that now when you are on the page for one of the games in your Library, there is no News section on that page. You have to click on Discussions or Community Hub and then on News to get there. A real pain. I would much rather have the News section than the stupid Community Content section which is now most of the page.

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Yes Home is default under Library. My issue is that now when you are on the page for one of the games in your Library, there is no News section on that page. You have to click on Discussions or Community Hub and then on News to get there. A real pain. I would much rather have the News section than the stupid Community Content section which is now most of the page.

News seems to be in the same area as player activity now, Community Content is below that for me in games that support it (eg. Conan Exiles)

Edited by marelooke

I just had Steam update and noticed the new UI. Why is every company obsessed with the giant picture-cover icon system now? It annoyed me when Netflix did it, GoG did it, every freaking sales company does it ... I always had Steam on the text game List-only view in small mode (or if larger, at least with the window shrunk as much as possible),  Never cared about game news or Community windows or whatnot (since I'm Offline mode most of the time anyway) - if I wanted such I'd use an actual browser. Now, while the List is there on the side, I'm forced to stare at giant icons which are redundant since the text list is on the side anyway. They should at least give the option to hide the entire shelf window.  (nvm, they sorta did, see below). To me it's an eyesore.

You can put it in "small" mode but that only shrinks the icons a little bit, you can't actually have a small window anymore. I guess I will be "hiding" a lot more uninstalled titles.

I just don't like visual "shelf" displays vs. text lists. It's one thing on a phone I suppose but this is a PC. I really hate it on Netflix because they actually keep changing what the picture icon is for a specific show, just to confuse you. 😛

As my husband likes to grumble whenever this sort of software/design updates happen that we hate - "kids these days."

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh, well, I managed to get rid of the visible shelfs.  😜 I guess you can just delete them using drop down menus (doesn't delete the categories, if you try to "add shelf" again they're still there to choose from).

Doesn't resolve the fact it's wasted empty space (can't make it any smaller/just show the list or something). 

steamnoshelf.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 3 years later...

Well, first Steam specific thread I found, so arise.  Steam Sale starts today

image.png.49d643553ab39684a57b7ab9f3d802b7.png

That made me laugh.

• Haha 6
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra