Gorth

On 8/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, Gorth said:

Upcoming cage fight between Musk and Zuckerberg could be hosted in Italy. Ladies and Gentlemen place your bets…

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66480636

Oooh, looks like one of the combatants may start to get cold feet...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66494113

In a post on his social media site Threads, the Meta boss said he had offered Mr Musk "a real date" but the rival entrepreneur had made excuses.

Mr Musk had earlier on Sunday suggested on his own messaging site X, formerly known as Twitter, that he was willing to fight as early as Monday.

The billionaires agreed to the bout in June, sparking huge media attention.

But despite egging each other on for months, the rivals have yet to secure a date, raising doubts the fight will ever go ahead.

There can be only one!

_130184971_muskzuck.jpg.webp.474bf6c11be2f5689c9e1cb8703541f9.webp

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The Matildas have lost to the English, and my interest in soccer has never been lower.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The English overreact so much when they have any success, here's hoping the Spanish can do it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 months later...

Ouch South Africa...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/67140802

It was a famous 38-run victory over World Cup contenders South Africa that sparked chaotic celebrations from the Netherlands underdogs as Logan van Beek took the winning wicket.

The eruption was certainly justified: their first win of this year's tournament, the country's first win over a Test-playing nation in a 50-over World Cup and just their third win of all time in the competition.

"It is the most iconic and memorable win for Dutch cricket," their former all-rounder Ryan ten Doeschate told BBC Test Match Special in the post-match delirium.

Not the sport I know the most about. Quite popular down here, but ranks about equal with Australian Football on my list of interests (i.e. I know it exists). I also know it's usually a more popular participation sport in South Africa than in the Netherlands

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They've got a few Kiwi players with Dutch heritage playing for them, like Logan van Beek himself. None of them particularly close to making our side though, and with only a few thousand domestic players it's a big upset. Irony is, if the ICC ('world cricket') had had their way the Dutch wouldn't have even been there as being not good enough.

Tangentially related, but it will be interesting to see Cricket at the Olympics. Kind of odd that the US/ LA of all places pushed so hard for its inclusion but I guess nearly 2bn extremely committed subcontintental fans have a lot of pull.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Tangentially related, but it will be interesting to see Cricket at the Olympics. Kind of odd that the US/ LA of all places pushed so hard for its inclusion but I guess nearly 2bn extremely committed subcontintental fans have a lot of pull.

Not at all related, but it is really quite extraordinary that there's a perfectly fine cricket stadium at a Helsinki suburb I have some history with. Cricket is almost non-existent in Finland, but apparently some well-off local guy originally from India decided to go all in with his passion. Heck, Lord Mervyn King even came to its opening ceremony. Crazy world.

• 3 weeks later...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 3 months later...