Gorth

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I didn't see the game (I might watch some youtube highlights later), but from the BBC stats, it looks like England was more or less outplayed when it came to possession and shots.

England scored early, so Italy had to make most of the play. Bit of Mourinho style turtling going on, followed by a late stage Mourinho style failure to turtle effectively enough.

Not a great day overall for England, lost the football and they still have to put up with Richard Branson.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Guess penalty shootouts would be boring if everyone would just shoot hard into a corner, leaving the goal keeper 0 chance.

Maybe but I wouldnt care as long as England had made all their goals in the final 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

In tennis news, Novak Djokovic won Wimbledon, his 20th major title, tying the men's record held by Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. He now holds all 3 major titles this year and is a US Open win away from the Grand Slam, something no man has achieved since Rod Laver in 1969 and no woman has achieved since Steffi Graf in 1988.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

In tennis news, Novak Djokovic won Wimbledon, his 20th major title, tying the men's record held by Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. He now holds all 3 major titles this year and is a US Open win away from the Grand Slam, something no man has achieved since Rod Laver in 1969 and no woman has achieved since Steffi Graf in 1988.

If he goes to the Olimpics (and wins it) he can also have a Golden Slam and would be the first man to achieve that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

18 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

^Im willing to concede that I might be reading this wrong, (and it might depend on which surface you are talking about) but didnt Agassi accomplish both of those feats?

Keyrock's talking about winning the four majors in the same year, not over the course of a carreer. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

^Im willing to concede that I might be reading this wrong, (and it might depend on which surface you are talking about) but didnt Agassi accomplish both of those feats?

The Career Slam, or whatever people call it, is a tremendous accomplishment, but the actual Grand Slam (all 4 in the same year) is significantly more rare. The Golden Slam (all 4 + Olympic gold same year) has only ever been accomplished by 1 person, who is coincidentally Andre Agassi's wife, Steffi Graf. Granted, tennis was only an official Olympic sport until 1924 and again since 1988. A lot of greats simply didn't have an opportunity at it.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My son has recently taken up tennis, so I have been starting to follow it again a bit. When I was young, Agassi vs. Sampras were awesome and I was in love with Monica Seles.

It is pretty shocking how dominant Steffi Graf was. It is even more shocking that her and Agassi live a very quiet life in Las Vegas now, and are still fairly young.

• Like 2

It's too bad that singles tennis is so much more popular than doubles, and thus gets the lion's share of the attention, since I find doubles very entertaining to watch.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

11 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Sampras were awesome and I was in love with Monica Seles.

She was *the* grunter! I think tv stations at the time were actually whinging about it, wondering if they should censor the sound when shown in day time tv 😂

A formidable tennis player though. A career that literally got cut short (bad pun, I know) before reaching it's potential for longevity.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

...and the winner of Worlds Strongest Man contest 2021 is Tom Stoltman (from the UK)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 6 months later...

Say hello to the new ultimate martial art contest!

Of course, Japan being so Japanese turns it into a team sport!

• 1 month later...

An oddity from Finland... the Wife Carrying competition!

• Like 1

Big League Polo...

Capture The Flag... the Japanese way 😁

• 1 month later...

Our hometown Seattle Sounders became the first MLS team to win the CCL Championship, beating Liga MX side Pumas UNAM with a 5-2 aggregate. In so doing they set a CCL attendance record with 68,741 in attendance at Lumen field.

I know it's not much by European standards, but it's still something for us. It's also an indication that the MLS team salaries are becoming competitive with the Liga MX teams, at least compared to where they were ten years ago. It should be interesting to see how well the revamped Leagues Cup goes in 2023.

Leagues Cup

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to pick up a new sport? The Beer Mile run may be your thing...

https://www.beermile.com/

A Brief History Of The Beer Mile | VinePair

• Like 1

Football fans acting extra stupid lately, CL final delayed due to them.  But at least some getting pepper sprayed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/28/2022 at 12:43 PM, Malcador said:

Football fans acting extra stupid lately, CL final delayed due to them.  But at least some getting pepper sprayed.

Why was the Champions League final delayed 36 minutes?

Was it the fans? Police pepper sprayed children. Ticket-paying Liverpool fans were denied entrance after standing in a queue for two and a half hours. Karma is a b*tch, I suppose.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."