Gorth

We can only all hope Italy wins.  England winning is far worse. 

Death to the English.

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Keyrock said:

I guess I'll be rooting for England to beat the Italian Diving Team in the final.

English are no better, to be honest.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

English are no better, to be honest.

Come on, Sterlings dive was worthy of a ballet!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe COVID will win.

• Haha 1

Highlights from the 2016 Calcio Storico (the "good old days" before social distancing and face masks)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@Gorth

I know I can count on you to support England today, I know you wont turn your back on the Empire and how much you have benefitted on a personal level, even self-identifying anarchists can be magnanimous Gorthfuscious   :biggrin: ....and I am sure you are not upset about Denmark losing to England right ?

Go England !!!  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 7/8/2021 at 12:00 AM, Malcador said:

We can only all hope Italy wins.  England winning is far worse. 

Death to the English.

Wel that wasn't the best beginning then... 😮

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Its looking good so far for England ....now they just need to hold the pizza munchers off for the rest of the game :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I cannot believe it !!! Oh well I suppose now the game is more exciting and Italy was putting loads of pressure on England .....

John Milton 

Their has to  be a better system than penalty shootouts to decide who wins games like this ...oh well 

John Milton 

To England

Even better was the Arsenal player missing the losing penalty :lol:

• Haha 1

Funny thing is that'd pretty likely be a red card, in rugby.

(I really wish they'd card people for faking injury after doing a bad foul too. Yellow card for the foul, yellow card for the fake injury. Oh well, even while I'm technically English them losing is great for the memes and means I can make interminable jokes about losing by boundary countback to all my relatives who were all 'rules are rules' over a certain Cricket result)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

6kDx16t.gif

Proper English tackle.  Also Saka handles the ball in the first place.

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

I really wish they'd card people for faking injury 

I know they don't in practice, but aren't they supposed to? Even just obvious dives, never mind pretending to be crippled afterward and wasting an extra 5 minutes of everybody's time, are supposed to draw cards AFAIK, but in practice never do.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

51 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I know they don't in practice, but aren't they supposed to? Even just obvious dives, never mind pretending to be crippled afterward and wasting an extra 5 minutes of everybody's time, are supposed to draw cards AFAIK, but in practice never do.

I don't think they are, usually the referee will tell the player to get up or get off the pitch for treatment and can then wave them on at his discretion.  Dives go get yellows.  Hard to tell if it is "pretending", depending on the fall and/or tackle, can smart a lot - seen players get clipped on their achilles, knee in the back, etc.    The time wasted on treatment or just play halted does get added on (in theory)

The Jorginho one was really blatant though- you could just about literally see him thinking "better make it look like I'm injured too" on the replay when he realised how bad his tackle was, in the hope of only getting a yellow.

Then again, given what happened against Denmark any complaints about simulation adjacent acts from the English would ring a little hollow.

I didn't see the game (I might watch some youtube highlights later), but from the BBC stats, it looks like England was more or less outplayed when it came to possession and shots.

image.png

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

The Jorginho one was really blatant though- you could just about literally see him thinking "better make it look like I'm injured too" on the replay when he realised how bad his tackle was, in the hope of only getting a yellow.

Then again, given what happened against Denmark any complaints about simulation adjacent acts from the English would ring a little hollow.

Not sure how relevant comparing arguably bad refugee decisions in a particular game is the same as clearly bad refugee decisions in the final? Two wrongs dont make a right 

The one benefit that the Italians players have is if  they cant play football anymore I can guarantee you they will get jobs in Hollywood.....what a bunch of actors and this incident you mention was egregious 

John Milton