Gorth

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Norwegian NT manager had a funny analysis - "De siste årene har de blitt slått ut av Lyon, Porto og Ajax i Champions League. Hvorfor i helv**** skal de være med i en slik turnering da? Tottenham og Arsenal er per nå antagelig ikke blant de 20-30 beste lagene i Europa"

Some very good points. Even if several of the clubs aren't truly the "top dogs" these days, past glories still means they have a significant international fan base (which includes middle class clubs like Tottenham and Arsenal)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They're meant to be inviting 5 teams on a per season basis though, so long as they're Macclesfield or Carlisle Arsenal and Tottenham should be guaranteed to finish at least 6th from bottom.

Oh who am I kidding, Arsenal would somehow contrive to lose to Macclesfield and Carlisle too, especially if there's no threat of actual relegation. On the plus side though, there's the perpetual amusement remembering all the people who thought Wenger was the problem...

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

there's the perpetual amusement remembering all the people who thought Wenger was the problem...

He was, he managed to convince Arsenal fan they were a Big Club, rather than punching above their weight (as the CL performance shows - sure sucked to have to run in prime Barca and Bayern repeatedly)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Looks like it's falling apart for now, City and Chelsea out (well, not like they need that money).  Barca may be gone too.  Still want them all booted out of Europe though (and I'm an Arsenal fan), although more out of my spite than anything.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dunno about Europe, but if you get massive point penalties for financial irregularities I'd think that point penalties for trying to co-opt the game for their financial gain would be appropriate. Especially since a lot of big clubs are functionally insolvent and rely on trust fund top ups and buddy rate financing.

A few of the big boys in England getting Saracened/ Rangered and having to spend a year+ down with the plebes would be great. Might also get some of the ownership dross ejected too.

21 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

All the English clubs have pulled the plug now.

What an utter unmitigated embarrassment.

I got a good laugh out of Liverpool's statement, at least Arsenal gave an apology.  Great own goal for everyone involved.

The Liverpool owner has apologised now it seems.

Don't really know what they were even thinking and how insulated they were to think that it was going to work in the first place. Guess it's covid related, especially for the clubs that are in a really bad financial situation, but still, everything that happened was utterly predictable. The only surprising thing was just how quickly the decisions got reversed. Now they've lost most of their leverage with UEFA and the existing domestic leagues since they can't perpetually threaten to take their ball and go play elsewhere. No chance getting financial backing for another breakaway any time soon now that the backers are left hung out to dry, no chance getting teams to join even if they could get that backing, massively reduced ability to extort money out of their domestic leagues... almost enough punishment meted out already. Just needs some cut price fire sales from owners whose expectations of a US style franchise league have been dashed.

It may have something to do with debts out of control for the major clubs. Players being valued and sold to other clubs for $200 million and upwards and star players having salaries in excess of $300k weekly. Desperate people digging for water in the desert?

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have to say I’m very impressed at the way those football fans in Europe have rejected the Americanization of their sport. And that is exactly what the super league was. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Arsenal fans wanting a new owner reminds me of Squires' comic about Boko Haram buying a club

Edited by Malcador

Footage from the 3rd annual Fastracs auto football (soccer) game... ⚽ 🚗

Arsenal and Europe

wqxgt3ntpnx61.jpg?width=770&auto=webp&s=

This is what you get when you hire a novice because of his proximity to Guardiola.

Edited by Malcador

• 1 month later...

F**k, Germany should have ditched Low years ago.

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

F**k, Germany should have ditched Low years ago.

Yes, they should have. In all his time, the German team sure had the potential for more than one world championship that only came to be because the referee had a really bad day.

But look at the bright side, unlike something drastically changes, them playing like that means they certainly won't win the tournament, and that's a win in my book. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Yes, they should have. In all his time, the German team sure had the potential for more than one world championship that only came to be because the referee had a really bad day.

But look at the bright side, unlike something drastically changes, them playing like that means they certainly won't win the tournament, and that's a win in my book. :p

What was the problem with the referee vs Argentina ? 😛  Besides, Argentina losing is a win for everyone. 

Yeah, shame they'll lose to the English, they'll gloat over that one sided rivalry even though their manager and team is crap as well.  Seems I'm doomed to back teams led by inept managers, although I guess Low is still superior to that fraud Arteta.

• Haha 1

Well, Czech over Netherlands was a shock.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:32 PM, HoonDing said:

anyone but France

Well, you got your wish.  Mbappe was useless this tournament. :lol:

England - Germany is a real advertisement for the sport.

Well on bright side, Low's gone.  Down side is the ****ing English crowing over this

Edited by Malcador

The poor sport was feeling all abandoned and alone in the dark 😢

Meh, every International tournament there's always pearl clutching about diving or simulation, as if people don't see that and excuse it in league play every year.  Is the best when it's the English who never see diving by their own (e.g. Gerrard) and excuse cuntish playing (e.g. Kane, Alli) . 

Rooting for Denmark, will be nice to have a smaller nation win. 

Edited by Malcador