Great game BUT this can be improved

Okay, so far I am "only" lvl 12 and in my first playthru. But I have a few issues:

1. Same problem as in Mass Effect 1: The weird combination of Guns as Vendor Trash and illogial tiers (Suddenly I find a light assault rifle that is better than anything I have just because I'm lvl 12). Reminds me very much about ME 1 but at least there I could reuse my mods.
  2. 90% of the writing goes for one companion. I love her, like almost everyone else. But it is clear Parvati got almost all the writing. The other characters I have so far (3 of six excluding Parvati) are all ranging from "cool, but nothing special" to "yawn, I guess I will never be using you, you are just pointless"). Doesn't help that the 5th companion, that I just came across, has an introduction that makes me want to NOT pick him up at all.
  3. I don't know why causes it, but something makes the combat much more disorienting than in say Mass Effect.
  4. Voiced protagonist. That's a very divisive opinion, but I definitely enjoy Fallout 4 more than 3 or NV because of this.
  5. Length... I am maybe a tad greedy, but this is the most expensive game I have ever bought. Not hyperbole, but normally PC games in this country are between (approx) $45 to $55 including 25% VAT. This game was $65 PLUS 25% VAT. That is Console game prices. Combine this with a "15 to 25 hour game" according to Obsidian themselves and well... very little bang for the buck.

On 11/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, Beardedgeek72 said:
  1. 90% of the writing goes for one companion. I love her, like almost everyone else. But it is clear Parvati got almost all the writing. The other characters I have so far (3 of six excluding Parvati) are all ranging from "cool, but nothing special" to "yawn, I guess I will never be using you, you are just pointless"). Doesn't help that the 5th companion, that I just came across, has an introduction that makes me want to NOT pick him up at all.

I don't think that's is really the case, though her quest does start at the earliest (if you follow the guiding hand of the game master). 

1. I don't know why causes it, but something makes the combat much more disorienting than in say Mass Effect.

Well one is FPS, the other is TPS cover shooter... which means sit behind cover and stick everyonce in a while. OW combat can get chaotic at times. Luckily TTD is there if you need to take a breath. 

1. Voiced protagonist. That's a very divisive opinion, but I definitely enjoy Fallout 4 more than 3 or NV because of this.

Yhhhh... I don't think OW offers enough roleplaying options to really benefit from not having VO for main protagonist, like NV did. However, I would still prefer for the money to be spend on putting more RPG in OW2, rather then further restraining what character I can create. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wormerine said:
  1. Voiced protagonist. That's a very divisive opinion, but I definitely enjoy Fallout 4 more than 3 or NV because of this.

Yhhhh... I don't think OW offers enough roleplaying options to really benefit from not having VO for main protagonist, like NV did. However, I would still prefer for the money to be spend on putting more RPG in OW2, rather then further restraining what character I can create. 

This might have been a budget choice as from what I have heard this game had a small budget

2 hours ago, Sedgendary said:

This might have been a budget choice as from what I have heard this game had a small budget

I don't think that's the reason. RPG having full character VO is a black flag for some. Obsidian has reputation for creating RPGs which allow you to craft your character and roleplay, providing plenty of reactivity.

To create a main protagonis with VO you have to approach it differently. You have to write a defined character with personality, opinions, traits, history with some wiggle room for player choice. Shepard, Geralt, and I assume dude/dudess from Fallout4 are all pre-made defined characters. That goes against what is usually a strength of Obsidian RPG. Compare difference in how Thorton from Alpha Protocl is portrait, and compare it to KOTOR2, fallout new vegas, pillars1&2 or tyrany. Giving VO to your character simply takes away a big chunk of character creation freedom from players. And that is what many die hard Obsidian fans (like myslef) like. There are reasons why I have no interest in F4, and it not even pretending to be an RPG is one of the big ones.

OW was still written in a traditional Obsidian way, allowing you to project what you want on your character. I think OW might be limited enough that it could work with a voiced protagonist. Yes, it would be more expensive, but more importantly from creative standpoint, the character would need to be written and presented differently. Having someone read the written lines wouldnt be enough, as it's to fluid and undefined to be a pre-recorded character. 

• Like 3