I'll just say that I got gay vibes from some of Hawthorn's private messages with a friend of his but I didn't know if I was reading too much into it or not and have not spoken to anyone who had any kind of relationship with him yet. 

As for Ellie, she does make a flirtatious comment towards that woman who sells weapon mods on groundbreaker but it came off like a joke to me. I haven't done her quest yet though. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Socrates40299 said:

Most of the time... you have a heads up on the bias or agenda being pushed. Not once in all the marketing material were gay themes brought up or showcased.

Like I said, they shouldnt change a thing... other than to give a bit of a heads up so consumers can make an informed purchase.

Fair enough. Rule of the thumb - if it's Obsidian game there are bound to be characters of... hmmm... non-conservative sexual preferences? Some are more central out then others but they tend to go for the "woke" stuff.

I do think this is a bit blowed out of proportions. There is one companion who is preparing for the date with person of the same sex. It's not like their sexaulity is drawn attention to, except that you happen to know they both are female. Or maybe it is later on, I didn't get to Byzantium yet.

Outside of that, I can't say I noticed any other stuff of that sort. It might have been implied that one executive might have a crush on the previous captain of your ship. Though I also tend to not focus on that kind of stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yes, to me, all this "gay" stuff just adds funny flavor to the game, and don't feel the least bit threatened by homosexuals.  Entertainment isn't meant to be threatening, but if you find it so, perhaps find your jollies elsewhere?

Feeling mildly disgusted... as I am fairly sure an lgbt person is whenever they are forced to be part of a straight love story in one form or another.. isnt the same thing as being afraid of, threatened or intimidated by...

It just isnt my thing. For me its about an equal level of revulsion of thinking about the fact your parents have a sex life and thats why you exist... there are some things you would just rather not have a mental image or awareness of.

I do have a bit more empathy with the gay community after having to deal with my own mild revulsion with the mild revulsion or annoyance they have to live with every day.

12 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yes, to me, all this "gay" stuff just adds funny flavor to the game, and don't feel the least bit threatened by homosexuals.  Entertainment isn't meant to be threatening, but if you find it so, perhaps find your jollies elsewhere?

If... at any point when marketing the game, they had showcased the lgbt inclusive questlines... I would not have purchased the game... and would have gotten some jellies elsewhere... 

You make it seem like I knowingly bought something with a complete awareness of an agenda beforehand just to complain about it... I dont know about you, but I dont have 60 dollars to throw away just to make a point.

Spoiler

Feeling mildly disgusted... as I am fairly sure an lgbt person is whenever they are forced to be part of a straight love story in one form or another.. 

No offense, but do you actually interact with any number of LGBT people on a regular basis? I mean clearly not (other than some level of "biological mom" interaction).

From what I've heard it's basically just the background noise of their life since straight lifestyles are the norm. And anyway, from what I can divine, ever done a romance in an RPG with a lady as a dude that you weren't particularly attracted to, but you could get into the spirit of it? (For me it was that winged elf lady whose name escapes me in BG2). Same deal.

Don't project your feelings of mild disgust onto what other people think, especially since you know crap-all about them.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thelee said:
  Hide contents

Feeling mildly disgusted... as I am fairly sure an lgbt person is whenever they are forced to be part of a straight love story in one form or another.. 

No offense, but do you actually interact with any number of LGBT people on a regular basis? I mean clearly not (other than some level of "biological mom" interaction).

From what I've heard it's basically just the background noise of their life since straight lifestyles are the norm. And anyway, from what I can divine, ever done a romance in an RPG with a lady as a dude that you weren't particularly attracted to, but you could get into the spirit of it? (For me it was that winged elf lady whose name escapes me in BG2). Same deal.

Don't project your feelings of mild disgust onto other people.

Yes, I in fact do have gay friends as well as two gay siblings... and I cant list how many times I have heard ewww gross during straight kissing scenes in movies.

No, I never play as a female avatar. The one game I tried with only a female option was Horizon Zero Dawn... and I couldnt get past playing as a girl in order to play the game. 

4 minutes ago, Socrates40299 said:

No, I never play as a female avatar.

"with a lady as a dude"

The one game I tried with only a female option was Horizon Zero Dawn... and I couldnt get past playing as a girl in order to play the game. 

I mean, OK, whatever. Meanwhile every non-straight-possibly-nonwhite-guy gets like one game every once and a while and it tends to be indie dreck. Leads credence to the adage "when you're accustomed to privilege, even equality feels like oppression." If I had a hang up of not being able to play an action game or RPG where I could recreate my own image I'd hardly ever play anything, and that's even as me as a straight dude.

Edited by thelee
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, thelee said:

"with a lady as a dude"

I mean, OK, whatever. Meanwhile every non-straight-possibly-nonwhite-guy gets like one game every once and a while and it tends to be indie dreck. Leads credence to the adage "when you're accustomed to privilege, even equality feels like oppression." If I had a hang up of not being able to play an action game or RPG where I could recreate my own image I'd hardly ever play anything, and that's even as me as a straight dude.

That's why I love non voiced protagonists... I mean I still make a straight white guy everytime but I'm glad others can make themselves too.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 2:30 PM, Socrates40299 said:

I had been looking forward to this game for quite a while... but I feel lied to. In none of the promotional materials does it mention a steong bias torwards promoting lgbt stuff. I am ok with a little here and there because that is life espcially considering my biological mom IS a lesbian... but this was over the top.

The Captain you replaced: strongly hinted to be gay.

Your first and third companions: gay

Your first companion's personal quest: entire gay lovestory quest line.

Seriously, after new vegas I was expecting more from Obsidian. I loved Veronica and Arcade... but they didnt feel forced upon you. You could let them join you or not and still have a large pool of companions to choose from.

I would take the game back to Gamestop but they wont refund it since its open.

Wait.....

WTF.JPG

16 minutes ago, thelee said:

"with a lady as a dude"

In case you missed it... I have stated repeatadly that nothing in the game should be changed... but that marketing could have done a better job to inform consumers. None of the gay storylines were even hinted at in any marketing material. Everyone deserves books, movies and games that speak to them, I agree with you... but that should never be done in a secretive way.

It felt like.. haha, we got your 6p dollars for this game.. now that you have started playing it and cant normally return it... lets start the real show.

Um I think the idea that queer people would naturally be disgusted by straight relationships is not the same thing as some gay people you know finding some kissing gross. 

No queer people are not disgusted by straight relationships, and romance between straight people (other than as a joke). That's just silly. 

As for kissing sure sometimes people eating each others faces off in front of you is a bit off-putting but like that doesn't really have anything to do with what orientation they are as far as I'm concerned. 

Parvati has two different writers; Chris L'Etoile and Kate Dollarhyde. I don't know who wrote what part of her content but am assuming Chris wrote the Edgewater part then Kate took over.

With the info on Parvati's/her father's terminal and the conversation with her about it suggested that her quest was gonna be about her long lost mom, about reuniting them probably. Then we arrive at Groundbreaker; from this point on her mom is forgotten, never to be mentioned again and her asexual lesbian quest line starts.

Make of this what you will :devil:

28 minutes ago, Quillon said:

Parvati has two different writers; Chris L'Etoile and Kate Dollarhyde. I don't know who wrote what part of her content but am assuming Chris wrote the Edgewater part then Kate took over.

With the info on Parvati's/her father's terminal and the conversation with her about it suggested that her quest was gonna be about her long lost mom, about reuniting them probably. Then we arrive at Groundbreaker; from this point on her mom is forgotten, never to be mentioned again and her asexual lesbian quest line starts.

Make of this what you will :devil:

I wish the first writer could have kept thier job and finished the lost mom quest. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Socrates40299 said:

Agendas should be clearly marked on the package, since you dont get to return games or movies once they are open. Let consumers make an informed decision on what exactly they are buying and see if your product still sells as well as you hope.

I kinda agree. Propaganda of some "progressive" values is illegal in my country. We need a commission that would categories all deviations in the game, like ESBR does with sex and violence, and stamp it in front cover for the whole world to see. Putting M rating is no longer enough.

Edited by Daidre

8 hours ago, Socrates40299 said:

I dont want them to change anything, except to maybe give a bit of a heads up that the end product is pushing a particular agenda. I got the capitalist parody from the trailers and forums before I bought the game but I had seen no threads at all on the huge lgbt bias built in to the game.  Now that the game has been out a few days, you can find whole web pages dedicated to celebrating the lgbt inclusivness.

Again, having gay people in a game is not an agenda.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Socrates40299 said:

Yes, I in fact do have gay friends as well as two gay siblings... and I cant list how many times I have heard ewww gross during straight kissing scenes in movies.

No, I never play as a female avatar. The one game I tried with only a female option was Horizon Zero Dawn... and I couldnt get past playing as a girl in order to play the game. 

Funny. I tend to always play female when I can. And not because "Oh look I can oogle a butt in third person". But I have no problem switching genders, or race, or Race (meaning both "elf" and "black"). It's a role playing game, and I am roleplaying. Would be utterly boring to be myself, right?