I had been looking forward to this game for quite a while... but I feel lied to. In none of the promotional materials does it mention a strong bias toward promoting lgbt stuff. I am ok with a little here and there because that is life especially considering my biological mom IS a lesbian... but this was over the top.

The Captain you replaced: strongly hinted to be gay.

Your first and third companions: gay

Your first companion's personal quest: entire gay lovestory quest line.

Seriously, after new vegas I was expecting more from Obsidian. I loved Veronica and Arcade... but they didnt feel forced upon you. You could let them join you or not and still have a large pool of companions to choose from.

I would take the game back to Gamestop but they wont refund it since its open.

(Edited for typos)

Edited by Socrates40299
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

To each their own. I personally liked that they had these things in the game in a natural way.  I can understand if you want a refund if it doesn't sit well with your conscience. Just not sure that they will give you a refund.  Could always put it up on craigslist for like $5-10 less than retail. Someone will buy it

• Like 1

You can still use and develop the companions without doing any of the quests.  So far things have been obvious the path they will take so if it bothers you just skip it.  I am really surprised how many people have taken things personal in this game.

I haven't run into the quest yet as I just succeeded in getting the xbox game pass for PC to allow me to play the game--after several days of trying....;)  But if that's a mandatory quest--gay "love stories" sort of make me rather nauseated generally...;)  However, maybe it's not explicit--let's hope so.  If it's not explicit then maybe I can get by with considering them just friends--not , uh, whatever.  Frankly, I don't much care for "romance" in an RPG at all--I've had plenty of the real thing in my life and let me tell you--game "romances" do not compare....!....;)  But, mainly, trying to force this stuff on the 98% of the population (and game market) that isn't homosexual and has no desire to ever be homosexual--well, it seems to me a dead-end street; a sure-fire way to lose customers instead of gaining them.  Better by far to leave all romance--homo and hetero--out of our games...!    Sorry to hear about this, though.  I would have no problem with it if the game let you choose your companions among possibles you would feel more comfortable with.   

• Like 1

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

10 minutes ago, waltc said:

I haven't run into the quest yet as I just succeeded in getting the xbox game pass for PC to allow me to play the game--after several days of trying....;)  But if that's a mandatory quest--gay "love stories" sort of make me rather nauseated generally...;)  However, maybe it's not explicit--let's hope so.  If it's not explicit then maybe I can get by with considering them just friends--not , uh, whatever.  Frankly, I don't much care for "romance" in an RPG at all--I've had plenty of the real thing in my life and let me tell you--game "romances" do not compare....!....;)  But, mainly, trying to force this stuff on the 98% of the population (and game market) that isn't homosexual and has no desire to ever be homosexual--well, it seems to me a dead-end street; a sure-fire way to lose customers instead of gaining them.  Better by far to leave all romance--homo and hetero--out of our games...!    Sorry to hear about this, though.  I would have no problem with it if the game let you choose your companions among possibles you would feel more comfortable with.   

The game does let you choose you companions. You can run with 2 at a time out of 5 available. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Crimson--that is somewhat of a relief, actually....;)

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

Im really surprised I wasnt flamed for this thread, at least so far. I did just return the game to gamestop and got half of my money back so thats something at least. 

I know everyone loves to see themselves in thier movies and games. I get it... but this game felt like a massive over correction from not enough representation to over representation almost to the point of parody.

OP must be more sensitive then me. I only picked on the companion with explicit lesbian romance quest.

I do find it to be a shame, that the one companion quest, which seemed to have so far the most resources dedicated to it is a silly be-a-good-wingman date affair. Sure, there could have been something more substantial then that. 

More swashbuckling, less Sex-and-the-Ci... Space? I hope it's a good joke. Don't know my sitcoms. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Socrates40299 said:

I had been looking forward to this game for quite a while... but I feel lied to. In none of the promotional materials does it mention a steong bias torwards promoting lgbt stuff. I am ok with a little here and there because that is life espcially considering my biological mom IS a lesbian... but this was over the top.

The Captain you replaced: strongly hinted to be gay.

Your first and third companions: gay

Your first companion's personal quest: entire gay lovestory quest line.

Seriously, after new vegas I was expecting more from Obsidian. I loved Veronica and Arcade... but they didnt feel forced upon you. You could let them join you or not and still have a large pool of companions to choose from.

I would take the game back to Gamestop but they wont refund it since its open.

SMH and FACE PALM. 

GG NO RE

• Haha 1

do you really need too much companions in such game? I mean, it is as long as Dragon Age Awakening... and if you think that Parvati quest was too extensive then don't go "modeling".

Secondly, when was implied that Hawtorne was gay? He literally has installed a Karen expy (which is double expy, since Karen is also an expy of Cary) on his ship. Also he was a complete idiot as other characters tell you, but it is never hinted that it had a romantic interest on anyone except the unreliable

Third, Felix neither seems gay to me, if you think he is gay then i guess we should avoid Yes Man in new vegas because he was "gay" or OP is confusing him with a homonym from a brazilian soap opera.

Fourth, you can ignore companion quests, if you don't want Parvati going head over heels for other girl, just don't do her quest and you will have a love triangle between Ada, SAM and Parvati

I think that the OP is a boomer

On 11/2/2019 at 11:30 AM, Socrates40299 said:

I am ok with a little here and there because that is life espcially considering my biological mom IS a lesbian... but this was over the top.

"I'm not racist, look, I have a black friend!"

On 11/2/2019 at 7:05 PM, uuuhhii said:

because the bias doesn't come from the game?

yeah; how people react to media says a lot more about them than the media imo

• Like 3

I wonder if people would have been happier if it was a "straight love story".  Something tells me that it is as much "I can't romance companions" as "the companions are gay".

Also it would have been super awkward if they had said "we are going to have a gay companion love story".

In summary.  This is obviously a troll.  Why would the obsidian forums be the place to get a refund.  If you bought a movie you wouldn't go to Paramount studios to ask for a refund.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

I am of a like mind Socrates.  It annoyed me as well, and took me out of my mood.  I am sitting down to play a game. I don't need a game designer to push their political agenda in my face.  All those who are happy/OK about it would sing a different tune the next time a different designer pushed agenda that they did not agree with.  (would you like some Right-to-life, gun rights or Born-again NPC in your next game?)

Just let me play me game the way I want.  If I wanted 21st century SJW shoved in my face, I would not be playing an escapist game, I'd go to a political forum.  Meanwhile there are many who feel like we do, but we are silent.  BS like this is what forces people to elect **** we don't even like to office because the alternative is more PC bull. 

• Haha 2