Interactive gameplay

Yeah I admit to being a little disappointed with the inablity to interact with most things in the game. From kitchen items, containers and bathrooms. Why not allow us to use the toilet (shown in one of the promotional videos recently before game release? An NPC was sitting on the toilet in one of these trailers. Allow the lack of personal hygiene from not showering and/or using the toilet to impact our charisma skill stat. Nobody wants to talk to a smelly stranger who hasn't washed for days lol.

It's funny, because people bitch and complain about Bethesda's Creation Engine and how it handles graphics, but no other engine can handle having as many dynamic objects as it can.  Witcher 3 was the closest I've seen, but nowhere near being able to dynamically pick up a basket in Skyrim so as to put it over an NPCs head and have that cause the line of sight to be blocked.  That level of dynamic interaction comes at a price, however, because it makes the world exponentially harder to manage from a GPU perspective.  Every time Fallout 4 loads the next surrounding cells it has to check the save file if and how potentially thousands of dynamic objects have been altered or moved from the base state.

All this is to say UE4 is not a engine made to do that.  In return it can offer sharper graphics, smoother motion, and quicker load times.  Personally I forgive the CE it's flaws becuase it is so easy to mod and offers a very interactive world, but I also really like the gameplay of TOW. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not being able to drink out of the toilets made me pretty sad. I also like to sit in a chair and look around for a little while in each new area, so I wish that was an option. I did find that you can drop items to view them - in the player's ship I have a nice little collection of model spaceships/music boxes/tossball cards going, though I'm not able to move them after dropping them. 

On 11/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, VaultBoi2077 said:

Yeah I admit to being a little disappointed with the inablity to interact with most things in the game. From kitchen items, containers and bathrooms. Why not allow us to use the toilet (shown in one of the promotional videos recently before game release? An NPC was sitting on the toilet in one of these trailers. Allow the lack of personal hygiene from not showering and/or using the toilet to impact our charisma skill stat. Nobody wants to talk to a smelly stranger who hasn't washed for days lol.

You're assuming TOW runs on Bethesda's Gamebryo engine. Which Bethesda authorized Obsidian to use when they developed the open world that was Fallout New Vegas. An engine which Bethesda custom designed to support critical game design features like havok physics and other dev framework features. Which have been the main essence for why the Fallout/TES worlds have been so interactive historically.