Is there going to be a expansion or DLC?

We won't know for certain until there is an official announcement. The fact that Private Division funded The Outer Worlds means there is an existing contract and PD's parent company Take2 makes so much money from microtransactions at the moment that it seems unlikely they'd have left getting a cut of sales of any DLC off of the contract. Since PD won't necessarily materially benefit in great enough numbers to make their money back plus as much profit as these things tend to want (the industry at large went from spending 40 cents to make a dollar to spending 20 cents to make a dollar over the last decade or so) they might not be willing to fund DLC. That would mean Microsoft would have to see enough merit in it to fund it despite PD getting a cut, which seems to me like it makes less sense from a corporate perspective.

All of that said, MS and PD almost certainly have their interest piqued, despite the fact that Obsidian's expansions don't enjoy the kind of resounding success one would hope for given the typical level of polish and effort that goes into them. As I understand it the DLC for Pillars of Eternity didn't recoup the costs of making it, and Obsidian didn't have to give a cut of the sales to anyone else. That doesn't mean that Microsoft wouldn't be able to absorb any budget shortfalls, but it's difficult to quantify the number of total sales generated over the lifetime of a product that can be directly attributed to e.g. DLC. I'd bet that Obsidian and Microsoft have people who have access to more data than the general public counting beans and possibly negotiating with Private Division at the moment.

I'd expect an announcement by Q1 2020, but it's likely that they'll say something at the Microsoft Shareholders meeting in December. If they don't have anything announced by then I'd expect them to be exploring the idea of a full blown sequel rather than using ideas for DLC. Of course, it's entirely possible that they could generate both simultaneously, a sequel might require some base game overhauls that will tie up coders and the art department could be working on assets for DLC, and the writers could put ideas that don't make the cut for a sequel into DLC... Too many unknowns at this point for anything other than wild speculation.

2 minutes ago, lupus_hegemonia said:

It will be easily to create DLCs for OW. They should in KoToR too, because you simply adding more (similar) environment (planets) and you need to generic quests.
I won't be surprised if I will see a couple DLCs around Eastern Holidays or summer.

That's the beauty of the hub based nature of the game. It's fairly simple to add say:

• A new landing pad on the existing worlds.
  • A new ship or space station appearing in the outer reaches of Halcyon
  • A corporate fleet from another, less fortunate colony who are looking to claim part of Halcyon for themselves

Fingers crossed we get something.

• Like 3

The game sales and number of people playing it with game pass will most certainly help them decide to do some additionnal content or not, but as far as we know, there's sadly no plan for it.

So, all we can do is cross fingers, and hope the game will sell lot of copies, show our love to the title and the studio behind it, so that Microsoft and Private know they could make money with the franchise soon, and not only in a few years.

I also hope there will be an expansion or DLC. This game is absolutely great!

I was looking at the space map and saw there are still planets you can't access yet. I wondered if they were perhaps planned DLCs?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect we'll have to wait a few months before we get any confirmation either way. I think the company's future and performance of The Outer Worlds was relatively uncertain and far as I've been given the impression from interviews and the likes there were no DLCs in the works for the game at the time of its release, contrary to the likes of both Pillars which were simultaneously developing/planning expansions when both games came out. The demand's certainly there, at the very least.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Having played through to one ending it doesn't' seem designed to support a DLC.  If they do make one the only option I could see would be to expand the current universe by adding more content to existing zones and opening access to the displayed planets no utilized on the map.  Of course they could use the old Saturday morning cartoon trick where what you are shown as the ending is backed up and expanded on.  To me a sequel set in the future with different characters exploring a few open ended questions would fit better then a DLC.

1 hour ago, Ommamar said:

Having played through to one ending it doesn't' seem designed to support a DLC.  If they do make one the only option I could see would be to expand the current universe by adding more content to existing zones and opening access to the displayed planets no utilized on the map.  Of course they could use the old Saturday morning cartoon trick where what you are shown as the ending is backed up and expanded on.  To me a sequel set in the future with different characters exploring a few open ended questions would fit better then a DLC.

They'll most likely just have the DLC take place before the "point of no return" message that can appear, much like other games including New Vegas.

So saves beyond that point would most likely not work with any DLC since you'd be unable to go anywhere but to the end.

41 minutes ago, xSean said:

They'll most likely just have the DLC take place before the "point of no return" message that can appear, much like other games including New Vegas.

So saves beyond that point would most likely not work with any DLC since you'd be unable to go anywhere but to the end.

That is a possibility.