May be a mission bug or...

I forget the name but the very wealthy planet, you talk to a woman with a streak of red paint across her eyes. I found our conversation a little funny because these people are super rich snobs. She asks you to check out a retirement facility that is located underground. Now I killed everything in sight including the poor maintenance and cleaning robots that are harmless. Upon returning to the surface, the entire city was after me and I died. I went back and tried this again without killing the the poor maintenance and cleaning robots and it worked and I got to talk to the woman who offered me the contract. 

In this particular world,  are you not supposed to kill the cleaning robots all over the place or did I just encounter a bug that I was able to fix by being lucky?

Edited by yarg-gray
grammar

You may have encountered a bug but it was possibly just robots being in the Byzantium faction, you have to have pretty high negative reputation to become a "Kill on sight" target, so if you had retreated to your ship and rested for a few days things probably would have calmed down for you as I understand it. The robots in the sewers shouldn't count the same way as people on the surface, but they might have been part of the same "faction" setting. I'm not sure why that would be a deliberate thing, but I personally only attacked the robots that were aggressive so I can't say if this happens every time you do or not.

As I understand it even if you are a "kill on sight" target, and you wipe out all the guards, you can return and not have the other NPCs attack you because the only reason they go aggro is they're all part of one faction, so they aggro when the guards do. It stands to reason that robotic NPCs would trigger the attack response (at least for a few days) if they were part of the faction. If they were, though, I'd expect them to give you the notification that your standing with that faction lowered when you killed one.