PC shuts down completely when launching game. Was intermittent, now constant. Tried everything.

I've scoured reddit, google, and everything I could think of and have tried every fix I've read. Yet, when I try to launch the game, it'll not just crash to desktop, but actually shut down my PC instantly. I have to switch it off in the back and switch it back on just to be able to power up again. 

My PC meets the required specs, OS and drivers all up to date, and no fix seems to work. And, seriously, I've tried every single thing I've found that's been posted anywhere since launch. I got the game through XBox Game Pass for PC. Thought about buying through Epic until I saw that people are having problems there too.

The shutdown happens at different parts of the game startup process. Sometimes before the first splash screen, sometimes after a few splash screens, sometimes when just reaching the Press Any Key screen, and once I got far enough to hit Continue and it shut down as soon as it got past the loading screen. 

It started out just being intermittent issue where sometimes it would happen and other times not, but now it happens every time and I can't play at all. I've completely loved what I have been able to play and it really sucks that this is happening. No other program, game, or anything else does this to my PC.

I really hope a fix comes out soon because I'd like to continue streaming this game as well, and now I just have to find other stuff to stream which isn't nearly as fun or interesting.

When your PC just shuts down it seems to be a hardware fault and most likely it will be that your PSU comes to its limit. 

So without details of your pc no one is able to help you here

• Like 1

Elitistische Bastarde :yes:

8 hours ago, Pho said:

When your PC just shuts down it seems to be a hardware fault and most likely it will be that your PSU comes to its limit. 

So without details of your pc no one is able to help you here

What minimum wattage should a PSU be to play this game? When I run a wattage estimator for what I have, it recommends about half of what my PSU can handle. I stream, and make music, play other current games with no issue and it is only this game that causes a shutdown. However, now it's a hardware problem because after several shutdowns, it burned out my PSU and I have to get a new one. Nothing was wrong with it prior to trying to run this game.

Look up your video card and check to see what its max wattage may be. Actual in-use wattage.

Like for a Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme, the wattage is about 350 watts at 100% usage, so a 600 watt PS is recommended, since the rest of the system is also pulling wattage. They recommend 600 watts, since they know that about half of the wattage is pulled by this specific video card.

Also, do you have SLI / Two Cards?

A PS problem is possible, but it's very likely that it could be just an overclock setting, more likely that of your RAM. Try going into your BIOS and under your RAM settings, see if you can pick the default speed, SPD, instead of Profile 1, Profile 2, Extreme, etc Whatever your BIOS memory clock settings may be.

If you run the problem CPU-Z, it will list all the possible speed/profile settings are for your ram.

Just a suggestion.

My old power supply was 620W. The game killed it. I got a 700W and just finished installing. Started the game and it didn't crash. So, fingers crossed. I still think it's ridiculous that games that are otherwise more resource intensive aren't causing the same issue. I've found others having the same issue. Maybe the game requires a nuclear power plant to run as a sick joke? 

• Like 1

I want to add to this since I'm seeing this talk of PSU's wherever I go for info-

Got the game with xbox app on game pass. I get a crash after having played for maybe 30 seconds running around, in dialog or whatever. I can get through intro and roll character fine, only once did it hang on the cutscene before landing on planet. After it crashes led effects on motherboard remain, but I can't start pc again without first cutting power and waiting for motherboard to be fully powered down. This doesn't happen in any other game, benchmark or stresstest for me. 

Specs:

Corsair HX1200i

ASRock X570 Phantom ITX

Ryzen 3900x with 240mm AIO

16GB Flare X 3200@CL14

Sapphire Vega 64 with a Morpheus II 2x120mm heatsink

NVMe C: Drive, game on separate SATA SSD.

In Fractal Design R6 with 2x140mm in, 1x140 & 2x120mm out, side off for better airflow as I was troubleshooting this. 

This PSU is obviously way overkill, and actually the fan rarely spins up even when GPU and CPU are fully loaded. 

I've run 2x Vega 64 on this easily before, as well as multiple nvidia GPUs, it has never been unstable. 

I thought it might be overheating, but GPU stays around 60c, CPU 60-70. In fact, neither really has time to get warm before the crash. 

I can run any benchmark, any other game including borderlands which loads my PC for sure, I can to 3dmark stress test for hours without issue. 

ONLY in this game does this happen.

• Gasp! 1

Here's the last thing I see in event log before the crash(complete copy in attached .txt):

Description:
Faulting application name: IndianaWindowsStore-Win64-Shipping.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0x99ca0526
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000072a6
Faulting process ID: 0x7ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d590cc3ecb171a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_1.0.369.0_x64__hv3d7yfbgr2rp\Indiana\Binaries\Win64\IndianaWindowsStore-Win64-Shipping.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 1dd2c50a-9beb-4cac-96f1-be4b4e4349c0
Faulting package full name: PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_1.0.369.0_x64__hv3d7yfbgr2rp
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

outer worlds app error.txt

• 7 months later...

I fixed the ntdll.dll issue by taking ownership of the install directory for Outer Worlds.

I downloaded Outer Worlds via Microsoft Store last week.  I could play up until the end of character creation.  After the final cutscene before you start playing the game, it would crash very consistently.  I thought it was driver issues until I checked the event viewer and saw the ntdll.dll issue.

Microsoft Store installed the game with the account SYSTEM as the owner.  I'm assuming the game is using your current user to try to access something in this folder and is getting denied permission.  I fixed my issue by setting ownership for \WindowsApps\ under the USERS account group.  I had to manually set ownership of the \PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows~ folder as well.  Hopefully this helps others with the same ntdll.dll issue.