Great game, too short

4 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

I've played 26 hours so far. I feel I'm playing at a normal pace. I have only just got to Stellar Bay in the last 4 hours. And have about 12 quests open. I can't see me finishing this anywhere before 40 hours. 

I don't really see how I can play it any faster. 

My first playthrough was just under 17 hours with over a dozen side quests, loot hunting and messing around. The main quest is around 12 hours if you only do that

1 hour ago, imitenotbecrazy said:

My first playthrough was just under 17 hours with over a dozen side quests, loot hunting and messing around. The main quest is around 12 hours if you only do that

I've completed 18 quests in total I think. 26 hours as I said. I honestly don't know how I could do it faster. Unless I skipped all the dialogue and showed 0 interest in its actual RPG systems. 

I get so sidetracked on exploring when off on a quest. What's impressive is even stuff that has no bearing on quests is entirely fleshed out. You actually feel like a world around you is going about itself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

I've completed 18 quests in total I think. 26 hours as I said. I honestly don't know how I could do it faster. Unless I skipped all the dialogue and showed 0 interest in its actual RPG systems. 

I get so sidetracked on exploring when off on a quest. What's impressive is even stuff that has no bearing on quests is entirely fleshed out. You actually feel like a world around you is going about itself. 

Are we playing the same game? The same ultra basic RPG mechanics and details game?......

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Madpaddy said:

If you explore and do the side quests companion quests and group standing quests its defo not short. Im on over 40 hours and im still not done.

This. I'm 40+ hours in and have seen maybe half of Monarch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I am not going to bash on Beth or FO3. As someone that played FO1 when it was released, hell I played Wasteland on my C64, when I first stepped out of the vault into the Wasteland in FO3 I was blown away. Sure by Obsidian or Black Isle standards the writing wasn't the best. It didn't matter to me. I was my own story in that world. I explored every rats ass in that world and loved every second.

However, I have been playing for about 30ish hours on this play through of TOW and have yet to reach the end. The main story may be short, I am not timing it, but the world has so much to do and so many side quests that it is unfair to claim that the game is lacking content (ie is too short).  If you run through everything, if you skip every dialog, if you keep choosing the chat option "get to the point" then yea I guess you wasted your time.

I judge a game like a movie when it comes to value. A movie is, what, $20 to enjoy it (movie, popcorn...more if you bring someone along) for 1.5 - 2 hours. $60 for 20+++ hours of entertainment seems like a steal to me. Just be happy the cost of games hasn't risen at the same rate that everything else has or you'd be selling your kidneys to play the next hit.

12 hours ago, imitenotbecrazy said:

Are we playing the same game? The same ultra basic RPG mechanics and details game?......

No definately not playing the same game. The game I'm playing is a deep Dungeons & dragons table top influenced game. With so many morale and gameplay choices. Fantastic writing and great character and companion interaction. 

Some of the best dialogue this generation. And so much to do I've still not even explored all of Terra 2 yet. Hahahaha. 

Yeah easily gonna be 100 hours on 2 playthrough. 

Edited by Selnor1983
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've no idea how many hours I've clocked in game so far, but I've played it every day since it was released, usually for a couple of hours at a time. I also got in a reasonably long session on Sunday. I just reached Monarch last night. Granted, I never use fast travel in these kinds of games. I've clocked a lot of hours in other RPGs, but a lot of that is travel time, especially when it comes to fully open worlds.

Honestly, I could care less about the length of the game as long as I enjoy the time I spend with it. I also know for a fact that I'm going to be doing more than one play through.

So long as the game does well and Obsidian are able to follow up with DLC or sequels, I'll just be happy for more and more Outer Worlds content as and when it comes.

• Like 1

Just finished my first playthough: 81 hours and 55 minutes. Left some SubLight content on the table, but I think I hit just about everything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

81 hours ? Man what did you do ? Because I'm pretty sure I went everywhere, behind all rocks, spoke to everybody, did everything and all side quests I could, and it took me 45 hours, with some lazy times for rolling my cigs.

This game sure isn't the biggest or the longest, but it's the funniest and most immersive I've ever played, with quests, dialogues, and gameplay mechanics near from table-top rpgs.

We sure would have loved it even more if it was a 100-150 hours game, as big as mass effect and the witcher, without all the boring stuff the last of these series added, but they don't have the same number of people, and didn't have same budget.

We're just gonna have to play it a few times and wait for Dlc / add-on, or cry for years until they make a sequel.

Edited by Merzhinhudour

On 10/30/2019 at 4:35 AM, the_dog_days said:

I did everything but one quest and it took me 35 hours, which is a good time for an rpg. In fact, a decade ago 35 hours was around the industry standard for rpg run times.

Well two decades ago the standard was about 60-80. I still feel slightly robbed if an RPG is < 50 hours long. I grew up with the Baldur's Gate games, the original Fallout games, Planescape: Torment...

No it's not. Are you sprinting everywhere and playing it like its Call of Duty? I can't find any reviewer that said the game was too short. Take in the sights. Hunt megas. Do all quests. Dont fast travel as much because you miss companions banter. Experiment with different builds on Supernova. Do a run where you must accept any flaw you get and beat the game.

2-3 playthroughs can easily get you 60-80 hours of gameplay unless you don't enjoy the games atmosphere and interactions, that is.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TucoMerc said:

I have been playing the game since day 1 and I am still nowhere near finishing it (first playthrough). I try to complete every quest/companion story/map there is.

Reveal hidden contents

I am still in Stellar Bay.

Same here. I've so far clocked 47 hours into the game, up to roughly the same spot as you.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

44 minutes ago, imitenotbecrazy said:

It's getting castrated on metacritic for length and it's other flaws. It's now dropped to 7.7 user rating for PC. Even with people trying to pad the score lol

image.thumb.png.c40a690103fc8ed05e85aaf8c6e99ed7.png

frankly metacritic is a terrible place to judge based on user reviews average as people miss score things like the one below

0review.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sedgendary said:

frankly metacritic is a terrible place to judge based on user reviews average as people miss score things like the one below

0review.png

Okay that's actually pretty hilarious though lol quite obviously not done to purposely change the score like the one I posted. I agree that it all needs to be taken with a grain of salt but many people do take that as a gauge. Hell, obsidian themselves were offered a bonus based on how NV would do. But I'm sure you knew that 

8 minutes ago, imitenotbecrazy said:

Okay that's actually pretty hilarious though lol quite obviously not done to purposely change the score like the one I posted. I agree that it all needs to be taken with a grain of salt but many people do take that as a gauge. Hell, obsidian themselves were offered a bonus based on how NV would do. But I'm sure you knew that 

true and I have always hated that practice, sales would be a better bonus metric in my eyes.

As for the games' length I was fine with it and knew before it came out it was going to be on the shorter side, it is also not the shortest RPG I have played as Mass Effect was 6 hours long if just doing the critical path