Felix's WTF skill check. (Spoilers)

Honestly pretty angry about this. Hands down my best crew mate since my build is all about minimal casualties. So stealth, persuasion and lockpicking are perfect for talking my way out of situations or unlocking alternate routes to bypass guards. 

EXCEPT, during the final mission he just decided to leave my squad because I wanted to change Phineas's rebel status so that he could work more freely and better help Halcyon. That skill check was absolute bull****. 100 for both determination and inspiration? Determination is such a **** skill too! If you're going to have a double barrelled check like that then at least lower the individual values. I could easily have made the check if it were 50/50. Or even more like 75/75. Just throw on some gear and take a drink or two to boost my stats. 

How about some ****ing options? God forbid I use my actual ****ing 'persuasion' skill to PERSUADE someone of something! How about 'lying' to him and whispering that we're just taking advantage of the chairman and that he'll get what's coming to him? 'Intimidating' him by telling him to stop being so brash and childish all the time? 

How about an option for if you've finished his loyalty mission, asking him to trust you? (Yeah, I'm calling them loyalty missions because they feel very much like the Mass Effect loyalty missions.) 

Nah. You'll just take away one of my companions mid-final-mission. Great plan. 

I get that he's anti-authority and working with the board is something he'd hate, but come on. Controlling the board from the shadows for the betterment of Halcyon is entirely different and you could far more easily convince him of that. A persuasive speech about how there always has to be some kind of government and it would be better to take advantage of the system that's already in place rather than trying to create a whole new one, while waging a war on the old one, with very limited time before everyone starves! 
Especially after his loyalty mission where you could point out how the guy that taught him his anti-establishment mentality turned out to be a manipulative scumbag working for the people he pretended to hate! Something like: "You know, maybe you should ****ing question what he taught you, you stupid asshat."

Honestly, I wish a different crew member had his skills cause he's just such a whiny, dense, difficult character. 

What a bull**** move. I can't have my game-long companion without a 100/100 skill check for skills that rarely ever come up as skill checks, with one of them being almost entirely useless otherwise. 

Edited by Duskmare

4 hours ago, Duskmare said:

Nah. You'll just take away one of my companions mid-final-mission. Great plan. 

Haha, it was hilarious and probably a bug, but you don't need to actually kill the dude, When Felix begin bitching about chairman - just agree with Felix, it will not make the chairman and his robots hostile, and you can just walk away.

Sorry for my bag English.  :dancing:

10 minutes ago, stiven said:

Haha, it was hilarious and probably a bug, but you don't need to actually kill the dude, When Felix begin bitching about chairman - just agree with Felix, it will not make the chairman and his robots hostile, and you can just walk away.

I was more thinking long term. I mean, the guy's done official broadcasts as the representative of the board. When news gets out that he messed up so badly that the entire colony is likely doomed and that his solution was to freeze everyone but the higher ups so that he can enjoy the rest of his life before humanity is doomed... There's no chance of him surviving. Either he gets hunted down by a keen vigilante, swarmed by a mob or escapes to the wilderness where, lets be honest, he's not going to stand a chance. 

Plus, just in principle, being punished for passing a skill check should never happen in a game like this. 

In the end I reset back to before the final mission, kicked Felix off my crew and took Parvati instead. Sadly have to miss out on a stealth bonus but otherwise she has the same skills, and she's not liable to make the worst possible decision. Long story short, Felix got lost and died somewhere as an inconsequential moron because he wasn't willing to trust the literal saviour of the human race. 

Though I have to admit, I do wonder if his ending would have been different if I had gone through that part, had him leave then gone back to my ship for Parvati instead of reloading. I could also have just left him on the ship and he probably wouldn't be able to leave my crew if he wasn't there in person, but knowing that he's willing to show me a big middle finger despite everything I'd done for him made me decide to throw him out. 

• 2 weeks later...

The final mission is why i call TOW "New Vegas Awakening".  You had your chance of getting rid of the goodie two shoes version of Mr House or go save him.

If you played Dragon Age Awakening, some characters will fight you if you side with the architect, Felix is similar to that dwarven girl from the legion of the dead or the "Shimon" counterpart of "Kamina" Anders. If you side with the architect and brought Anders or that Dwarven girl, you will be forced to kill them both and it will leave you without enough party members to face the broodmother, it's the same principle.

In fact, Felix is too Shimon-esque that your "Preston Garvey" comparisons by telling how he is whiny, dense and difficult character. Felix is always stated to lack of self confidence but still has the guts to get stuff done, he just needs to be pushed a bit and he will pierce the heavens. His blind faith on strong willed characters is what makes him approach you in the first place. Still, he is pretty slow, that's why he ended doing cargo jobs and why he got scammed by a mole in the first place. Compared with the rest of the characters who are ****ing geniuses is obvious that he shines in the same way a circle would constrant a bunch of triangles.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:40 PM, Duskmare said:

That skill check was absolute bull****. 100 for both determination and inspiration?

Honestly, he's such a naive idiot, that this makes sense. Further more, those two skills right there are literally under a tab called LEADERSHIP. You are a leader, at least in Felix's eyes, and you're trying to get him to follow along with your plan. It makes sense, even if it is kind out of nowhere because those skills really don't come up in dialog skill checks very often.

Determination is such a **** skill too!

spoken like somebody who has never done a companion build. 

I could easily have made the check if it were 50/50. Or even more like 75/75.

Consider the following: it's not supposed to be an easily made check. You're trying to convince somebody who is MOSTLY illogical to go against their core beliefs. It's like trying to talk a holy man out of his religion, which hilariously enough, you can actually do with Vicar Max. 

How about some ****ing options? God forbid I use my actual ****ing 'persuasion' skill to PERSUADE someone of something! How about 'lying' to him and whispering that we're just taking advantage of the chairman and that he'll get what's coming to him? 'Intimidating' him by telling him to stop being so brash and childish all the time? 

At the time of me reading this, I actually do agree here, but I should note that I have not attempted a full run where I invest super hard into the dialog skills. In my personal experience though, there were not a whole lot of chances to use dialog skill checks, and I think the highest one I saw was like a 65 persuasion or something? I would've liked more ways of interacting with the skills through dialog, but again, I haven't dedicated a run to doing so, so it's possible I might be missing a lot of instances where you can do the stuff I'm talking about.