Someone needs to make a mod guide. What skills are needed for certain mod etc, etc. I have a few mods i still can't install. I've read just about every website about mods and they all say get science to 20 to be able to tinker but nothing about what skill/skills are needed for mods. I still can't install silencer muzzle on my hunting rifle...

Not all weapons are capable of taking all modification components. There are three slots on ranged weapons, barrel, clip, and sight. Not every weapon has every slot, so no matter how good you are, you can't use e.g. a barrel mod on a weapon that doesn't have a slot for it. Not every type of weapon, even at the highest tiers, has every slot available. A number of them do, but e.g. tactical shotguns don't have a sight slot and there's nothing you can do to attach e.g. a gyro sight to a shotgun.

The Light AR and AR get barrel slots at the second tier, so it's possible the Hunting Rifle does as well if you prefer it. I've seen people complain that the Dead Eye AR doesn't have a barrel tier, but I never personally used them so I can't say if they get one at tier 2 or not. Until you start seeing AR... I want to say Mk2 but that's not what they're actually called in this... then you'll have to hold onto your whisper quiet muzzler.

It's really a shame that the Dead Eye in particular doesn't have a slot for the muzzle, given the fact that Belle of Belle's Shells specifically uses it as an example of a good modification to use and it's actually impossible (unless the tier 2 has a slot for one.)

One will probably come along soon as the game  is just released.  I have noticed that a scope really upped my combat effectiveness on my leadership build.   I have gotten my companions to where they can survive and hold aggro, doing this through skill, perks and equipment.  As a result of building this way I have no points in ranged at all but with a scoped AR (got to stand for Armalite Rifle right) and the bullet time effect I am very effective at picking of opponents from a distance while my companions fight them.  So good in fact I am considering taking away their ranged weapons but I do like how I can position myself tactically to take advantage of their position, while placing them at opposite ends of a triangle.  Sometimes they even hold that position, although that is probably just random luck  This might work even better with a hunting rifle but I didn't even know they where in the game until watching someone play the beginning part of the game where one dropped for them.

• 9 months later...

i have noticed that there are 2 differ types of hunting rifles one is just a hunting rifle and the other is a hunting rifle ultra with 3 slots and then the dead eye and then the dead eye 2 is a 3 slot rifle. but me i have my ultra hunting rifle upgrade to damage 333 DPS 266 and still seeing how high can max it out and the mods i have is the stability muzzle and the mag nun and the super scope 2000. and I am playing on normal then try this set up on hard with my next player.